• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 on fire

ARYankee

Wow!! Sorry to hear about that. I wonder if the batteries began to off gas and then poof, fire. It makes me want to keep a closer eye on my battery compartment.

Last edited:

charlietango

wow! Very sorry to hear that. Unfortunately anything is possible, and hopefully (sorry to say this) it wasn't the doing of someone. I also hope you find out the cause because if it IS something mechanical it could prevent further damage or injury!
( Hearing stories of people doing this always lessens my faith in humanity. )

Good luck, that really sucks.
Davin

Artisan

OH MAN!

That so blows! But I will tell you, I am not surprised.

I have looked at and made a few changes to my wires in the battery
box, mostly insulation from wires wearing away. I can see simple
expansion and contraction causing a hot wire to ground out and
the rest is history.

Man I hate to see that... I guess you will be parting her out now?
That would be a hard long fix.

HASSON1911

Wow does that suck, I would be pretty sad if this happened to one of my trucks. If i were to guess I'd blame the batteries, but in reality there's a list a mile long of what it could actually have been. What are your plans: trash it, restore it, or get a new one and part this guy?

FUBIJAR

Thats what I was wondering also, if the seat was open, there would have been plenty of ventilation, if it was closed the seat panel that you see in the picture would almost certainly be burned away before the fire could spread to the rest of the cab.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, that blows man! Judging by the photo looks like the truck is parked over by your maintenance shed/garage, correct? If so, being near the center of your yard, It would require a would-be saboteur to have to hoof-it a good distance after breaching your perimeter fence. If somebody was going to torch your trucks they would have done it along the fence line and probably not just one (collateral damage). Are there folks wandering around out there at night? It is sort of remote out there. Personally I don't see sabotage/vandalism. You said it happened at night. Did LACFD respond to put out the fire or did it burn out and you all found still sizzling in the AM? The PCB blew up and spread the fire to the engine compartment? I'd like to call it an electrical anomaly or hungry/curious critters, but one never fully knows.

bchauvette

I think I am going to cry. I hope you can figure out what happened to prevent future fires. I'm going out today do do anthing I can to prevent any shorts and insure the battery box is well ventllated. If I where to venture a wild guess it would be a short of some kind. possible rodent gnawing. I it was a rodent I hope he got fried.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks