• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 or Deuce?

Easyeight13

Hello. (First post). I am looking into getting an M923 or a Deuce as my first vehicle in a few months. i would like the super singles on the M923, and the automatic, but it looks like i might need a CDL. Any advice?

Ddmk18

I had the same question years ago. I went with m932a2 and but a bed on it. I also have my CDL so I can't comment on that but I am glad I went with the a2 series 5 ton. Power steering, automatic, super single and a 8.3 that's decent on fuel and easy to turn up the power.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your choice might be according to your mechanical knowledge. The 900 series are more complicated electrically, etc. than the M35A2 deuces and other M series trucks. If you do not have experience with more modern systems, you will end up probably having to pay someone who does to work on it. If you have a good basic knowledge the deuce is easier to work on, simpler with less systems to give problems. I have had experience with both and will stay with my M35A2's and other M series 5 ton vehicles I have. Your decision could also be based on your space to store it in.
Good luck whatever you choose to do!

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The size of the cab is also very different. I'm 6'3" and I have to lean over a bit to see under or around the wipers on my deuce. I'm also overweight and the bottom of the deuce steering wheel is very close. Oh and to have room to get my foot on the pedal, I have to push my left leg into the door to get around the steering wheel.

I have no issues in my m931a2, but it is substantially bigger in every way. Just changing a tire my require help or machinery . Changing a deuce tire is very doable. I use a forklift to move the M931A2 tires. :)

JohnnyBM931A2

My vote is for 5 ton :) However, you can get auto trans and super singles with a deuce.. You just need to find an M35A3 :)

Speaking of that.. Someone parked an M35A3 in a field less than half a mile from where I live. Talk about random. It's a property for sale, and the truck has been sitting there for a month right off of the road. I see it every day on my way to work, which is kind of cool 8)

ageregunner

Welcome from the Lehigh Valley. A close friend acquired a 923A2 5 ton. When I went up to see it, I though it was too big for a 60 year old man to climb around on. I wound up getting a M35A2. The lack of power steering is the only minus to my deuce, but in the whole picture, my deuce is still awesome. Driving it has put a permanent smile on my face.

Last edited:

armytruck63

You need bigger everything to work on a 5-ton. I have an M923 which I like, but I sure miss the M35A2 I had for about 12 years. The deuce sat at a friend's house for 18 months due to a job-relocation on my part. I put in two new batteries, hit the start button, and she started up in one revolution. The Cummins 250 in the M923 doesn't start like that ever.

gunsgreg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would echo exactly what others have said. I love my 5 ton M923A2 but everything is big and heavy on it. My buddies M35A2 is simpler and smaller but if you have the means the 5 ton IMO is a great time.

Good of luck and enjoy!

mdemars03

I have to say I would go with a 923A2. I just got one and LOVE it. I have a M52A2 which is basically the same size as a deuce but has a little more power and power steering and enjoyed learning about MV's with it. One problem I am having right now is parking. With my M52 being basically the same size as a deuce I never had problems, I just got a M923A2 and all of the sudden I got a code violation notice for having it parked at my house. I don't know if you will have a similar situation with parking like I have but just one thing to look in to and keep in mind. Here is a link to my issue if you want to see what problems with parking I am having.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145799-Code-violation-notice-for-parking-in-my-driveway

If parking isn't an issue then I personally would go with the 923.

Sephirothq

In Pa you will need at least a class b license to legally drive the truck. It doesn't matter if you down rate the truck under 26,000 lbs the truck is rated for higher.
So if you get a 5 ton get the class b. Or at least in PA.

Easyeight13

For anybody wondering, this will be my first MV and my first vehicle. Before you ask, yes i do understand that these trucks can get single digit mileage and weigh a few dozen tons, but the cool factor.... plus i go mudding with my cousins, and it would be great for hauling.

mdemars03

Curious.. Why a Class B? I thought Class B was for truck/trailer combos..
Different states have different classifications for licenses. For example a class B in Texas is:

1. Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 pounds or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
  2. A bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more including the driver
  3. Any vehicle included in Class C

That comes directly from the Texas Department of Public Safety. You can have a vehicle with no trailer that weighs more than 26,001 pounds in Texas and you have to have a class B. A 5 ton requires it at a minimum if you aren't puling anything where I live.

JohnnyBM931A2

Different states have different classifications for licenses. For example a class B in Texas is:

1. Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 pounds or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
  2. A bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more including the driver
  3. Any vehicle included in Class C

That comes directly from the Texas Department of Public Safety. You can have a vehicle with no trailer that weighs more than 26,001 pounds in Texas and you have to have a class B. A 5 ton requires it at a minimum if you aren't puling anything where I live.
Ah. Interesting. They said I would good with a Class C here in Illinois.. They considered my M931A2 to be a "flat side" truck, like a box truck. But if I ever want to tow a trailer I would have to get a Class B.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending where you plan to park it, you may want to research city codes if inside city limits. Lots of discussions about people being forced to relocate their truck after a neighbor complains to city.