• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 or Deuce?

Easyeight13

I saw a 1971 M35A2 for sale for 6500 on CL, looks very nice except for torn seat. But those super singles are sweet.

mdemars03

I saw a 1971 M35A2 for sale for 6500 on CL, looks very nice except for torn seat. But those super singles are sweet.
Be careful about posting about CL ad's. One of the rules is not to post current CL, eBay, etc ads on here unless it is your own. Not my rules, I just have to follow them like everyone else. Not trying to be a jerk or anything. I don't want anyone getting in trouble or getting banned.

mdemars03

Depending where you plan to park it, you may want to research city codes if inside city limits. Lots of discussions about people being forced to relocate their truck after a neighbor complains to city.
I'm in that situation right now. I'm going to be talking to the Code Enforcement Officer who wrote my violation notice tomorrow. He seemed very easy to work with and gave me some possible (although not really practical) options to get around it and is going to help see if having it registered as an antique will find a loop hole or not. It is definitly a problem with 900 series 5 tons.

JohnnyBM931A2

Be careful about posting about CL ad's. One of the rules is not to post current CL, eBay, etc ads on here unless it is your own. Not my rules, I just have to follow them like everyone else. Not trying to be a jerk or anything. I don't want anyone getting in trouble or getting banned.
I thought that was only if you posted direct links..

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned my M35A2C for almost 9 years now, and have gotten used to no power steering, manual transmission, church pew seats, vacuum wipers, and the sometimes quirky multi-fuel engine. But all things said, I wouldn't trade my Deuce for any other truck. There have been times I wanted to throw a hammer at it along with my TMs, buy an M923, and be done with it. But like a good marriage, you forgive and forget, and fall back in love again. The Deuce with it's shortcomings has a special feel and sound all it's own, that the newer trucks with their smoother edges just don't have. As was stated elsewhere on this thread, driving my Deuce never fails to put a smile on my face! Just my 6 bits worth.

71DeuceAK

Ha. You pretty much inadvertently described my situation: MV, as a first vehicle, and torn between M35A2 or 939 series 5-ton. Possible acquisition of a '71 Deuce this June, but if not I may look for a 939 series 5 ton.

therooster2001

I may be the gloom and doom guy, but I think the M923's are short for the world. I've seen them drop off from auction from Utah, Kansas and a few trickle to Colorado. Have you done a search lately on GP? I think they are coming to the end (which sucks as I JUST got into them this year). That said, I love my M925A, but haven't been in anything else (running that is, except for a M934A2). Ive been broken down on the side of the road in both and still love them. I've heard the Deuce guys BITCH up a storm with their shortcomings, but go try and take it away from them... I vote 5-ton. Go BIG!!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that some remarks of the OP got snowed in thanks to the discussion on CDL.

For anybody wondering, this will be my first MV and my first vehicle. ........
For a first car, unless you have a lot of experience already on private properties, I would not start with either, or if anything, maybe a A3 Deuce variant (or at least one with power steering and dual brake system). Lighter and easier to handle. Even better, go for a jeep or a CUCV, also cool and good in mudding.

..... Before you ask, yes i do understand that these trucks can get single digit mileage and weigh a few dozen tons, but the cool factor.... plus i go mudding with my cousins, and it would be great for hauling.
The Deuce comes in empty as 15,000 Lbs, a 923 about 7,000 lbs heavier.

Don't want to sound too much like a teacher or an old fart. However, these things are not build as joke or to show off on a Saturday night (cool factor) but are built for a specific purpose. The army might have sent (and still does) way to young people with these things into a war zone, but under normal conditions the drivers were trained to use them (I hope) before they allowed them on a normal road.

They are great for mudding and even better to get others out of the mud. Think about it for a sec, who is getting you out of the mud when you get stuck with a Deuce or a 923 (and you will, all of us but the very wisest and best get stuck)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGK8IC-bGnU

....... I have a M52A2 which is basically the same size as a deuce but has a little more power and power steering ........

Dear Sir, I seriously resent that remark .:wink:

My M51A2 is:

- Not a REO
- Not a Deuce,
definitely NOT the same size as a Deuce

My 5-ton M51A2 weighs in at 22,000 Lbs and is street legal for a gross train weight of 93,000 LBS.
The M39 series have the same wheelbase as the M939, which is 3' 5" longer than the Deuce. Standard tire size is 11*20 against the Deuce's 9*20.

I do have to agree though :( :oops:, that in terms of engine, transmission, and brakes the M35 and M39 are closer.

Last edited:

Easyeight13

Yeah i have a decent amount of experience driving manual vehicles. And i know that the MV's are a very special type of vehicle. However, i feel like i would greatly appreciate the hauling capacity of the trucks. I've heard that the deuce has a different shifting pattern. After reading about a SS member having his deuce stuck in a mudhole for 3 days, i know that these things are not easy to budge once they are stuck.

Easyeight13

In reply to Therooster2001, i have found that the 923's are harder to get ahold of. I have seen some for sale near me, but generally there are 3 times more deuces. Also GL has stopped selling them as far as i know.

therooster2001

I am strictly talking about M923A2's. GL stopped selling them, but that is because of contract. GP auctions them, but are getting rarer. There are some GP peeps on here that will correct me or verify but there are only 14 coming up at auction in the near future. Although if this is the first MV, I would buy from one of the the guys (or gals) on here. While wildy over documented (a good thing), they are very complex and easy to miss things if you aren't used to them. Go for a ride in one, ask LOTS of questions from a member, and really think about what you are getting into. I have only owned one, and I learned a ton (5 tons actually - ha) from reading, fixing, and talking with other members. There are some wise mofo's on here.

I'm a new schooler, and only have M939 experience, and limited at that. I chose the 5 ton over the deuce as I didn't need multi fuel, wanted new as possible, wanted an automatic and the cool factor of CTIS and more power (wait for it). I need a turbo up here in the high country of Colorado, the deuce or the A1 would have been a DOG. So my choice was easy. I think all are a pain in the ass at times, and not for the faint of heart. Go work on one with someone, you'll either love it or hate it.

JohnnyBM931A2

Either one will ruin your life AND make you happy.. sometimes in the same day aua :naner:

I'm glad I'm able to keep mine at my house. No matter how bad of a day I have at work, and no matter how late I come home, it always makes me smile when I see that big SOB parked on the driveway :)

red

Write out your wants and goals for the truck and see which one fits the list closest. Did that over the weekend and its actually cheaper for me to sell my deuce and go with a m934

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks