• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 question on coolant filter, should I have one?

Milhouse

My 85 M923 with NHC250 does not appear to have a coolant filter, what I thought was one on the right side of the engine, I now believe is the transmission filter just above the transmission cooler. The engine was replaced in 2010 with a new cummins NHC250. It has been mentioned to me by a couple folks that I should have a coolant filter, and even that the filter had an additive in it, any thoughts on this, should I have a filter or is it not needed for on road light use. Is there any truth to the additive? is that something maybe they just poured in?

Thank you in advance, you guys are always helpful.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can test the coolant and add the SCA additive separately if you want to keep the original coolant. I change all my trucks over to an ELC type coolant that doesn't need to be tested or have the SCA's added. I use either Rotella ELC or Fleetguard ELC.

Jeepsinker

I use the Fleetguard coolant as well. It is not necessary to have a coolant filter but it is a good idea. The filters that have the additive in them are time release filters, as in they release additive over time to keep the sca levels consistent. SCAs have to be replenished over time, just in case to didn't know that.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been putting coolant filters on my trucks, do they help???? But it makes me feel better. LOL

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added a coolant filter mainly because the amount of sludge and "mud" I found in the radiator and heater core after I flushed everything out.

Coolant filters can be bought that do and do not have the chemical additives so if use hd anti freeze and can still have a filter to get the nastys out.

Easy mod and pretty cheap. See my build "Major Zippidy" for pics and a small write up

goldneagle

If you check out my thread on the M923 truck you will see my coolant filter mod. I install coolant filters on all my trucks. Its the 2nd mod after air ride seat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks