• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 questions

SP5

Have done several searches, but have been unable to uncover any info on this;
One of the common statements/gripes that I have read about, concerning 939 series trucks, is the the massive front-end weight which is not in the best intrest for off-road use in softer terrain.
On that note, I see that the 8.3 is ~500 lbs. lighter that the NHC, might that be significant?
Is one engine really better than the other?, If you had your choice, which would you choose?
Has anyone taken an A2, and switched back to duels, using the 11:00x20 G177s?
Thank You.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 923 has nhc and takes off the line quickly, and a top cruising speed 60
I have duels
I have read and hear the 8.3 are dogs off the line don't know that to be fact.
And weight difference is 100 lbs on trucks WO/W.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have two M927's in my yard. My A2 with the 8.3 and a loaner that has the 250 in it. Both have the super singles.
The 8.3 is far more user friendly and gets very good fuel mileage considering the load it's hauling around.
The 250 has a lot more grunt than the 8.3 but is loud and sucks the bottom of the fuel tank.
Since I don't work my truck like a rented mule the 8.3 is all I need or want.
I was told that when I was flat towing my M923 back from Atlanta I was running 70 MPH on a two lane road.:shock:
If it ran any better I couldn't stand the pressure.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine get good mileage average 9 mpg for 21600 lbs that's not bad and I run mine every day that I am off work.

SP5

What are you planning on using the truck for?

The turbo gets nearly double the fuel economy.
My intended use is/always has been, to have an off-road rv/camper for hunting trips/back country exploring, No mudding, pulling, etc. Too old for that, and don't mind going slower with smaller tires.
I like the stability of ten wheels, (and the looks), as well as having several spare tires that weigh much less.
The fuel mileage, and less noise seems to give the nod to the 8.3, all else being equal. Although the rig would not see that many miles per year.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is tagged where I cannot carry load did not buy it for that .
923ao avatar pic
Reg is 21600/0 so no loads on my truck.

Jim Timber

At least for the first 4 months or so, mine will be loaded to max for 50% of its miles. Fuel mileage is a bigger concern than getting up to 55mph (which happens to be the speed limit on the roads I'll be using).

jarhead1086

Mine get good mileage average 9 mpg for 21600 lbs that's not bad and I run mine every day that I am off work.
I agree. I burned 1/2 the gas I planned to on my 900 mile recovery after reading the TM's gas mileage on the A0. I was happily surprised. The first half of the trip was with the brakes giving me fits and the last half I had a huge load of tires. I am curious what it does with everything fixed, lubed, and greased. I like the sound of these 250's, they sound as sexy as they look and they are fun to drive. My old Blazer only got 12 mpg and it lacked the 14' bed. Gas mileage is nice, but you don't buy a machinegun because of its economical rate of fire either. Focus on the fun, not on the costs. There are much worse ways to blow your disposable income.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have a lot of cash either but you are here only once and would like to have a little fun.
This of addiction is better than some of the others.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have/do own both an A0 and an A2. The A2 was a DOG off the line. My friend is a Cummins mechanic by trade, and in about 10 mins he worked the magic that many others here have documented on the fuel pump. Now, great acceleation, still get the same fuel mileage, and makes the truck much more pleasureable to drive. I have had 11 face cords of Cherrywood in the bed, and 14K on the trailer with my skidsteer and had no problem making the needed speed to go home. As far as the duals or singles? You can certainly change them back, if its an A2 truck you will need to disable and plug the CTIS components, but sure you can do it. Prob be able to find someone who would swap you their 11-20's for your super singles. All in all, although I LOVED the sound of the 250, it doesn't even come close to the 8.3 with some minor adjustments.

mcmullag

just my two cents. I used to explore the mountains of CO on trips out here from the Midwest. I used a 98 chevy blazer. I would not take my a2 into the mountains. I think a heavy front tire would take away the trail on a shelf road and down I would go. also, just driving around town needs to be a planned ahead mission, mall parking lots with all those islands of trees and bushes are a nightmare to try to get around even if no cars are in the lot. I would not want to explore with one of these large beasts, just my two cents.

Jim Timber

Don't get me wrong, I'm downright giddy with the prospects of getting a MV as my work truck - but the only reason I'm getting it now is because I need to move wood in quantities that my civi truck wouldn't pull.

11 face cord? lol Why not call it what it is in a legal term: 3-2/3 cord. ;) I've figured I can get about 6 cord of green aspen on the truck and stay under the load limit on my crappy under-built street to the woods (township is too cheap to build it to a 10T limit). If I can score a trailer, I'll double that and be able to pull what a semi can on a log trailer only without the extra fees they charge (mileage and a per cord profit sharing fee).

SP5

Thanks for all the info, at least now I think I can make an informed decision. Actually would'nt mind a nice deuce, but it really is easier to find a nice 939.
McMullag, I totally hear what you said about mountains. There are places in the Coast Range where my pick-up would be dicey. Where I will be going the country is mostly open, the area they call the Great Basin.
The ctis is no big deal, if the supers can just be swapped-out for the smaller duels, that's great. This site, and the knowledge of the people is such a blessing.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mall parking lots that's like driving in a empty field.
I take mind Walmart, movies, dinner anywhere a dually pickup would go.