• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m923 questions

k10greene

m932 advise

ive recently talked my girlfriend into letting me buy a m932 and id like some buying advice and some general things to look for thanks guys

wsucougarx

ive recently talked my girlfriend into letting me buy a m932 and id like some buying advice and some general things to look for thanks guys
"Letting me"...really? The best recommendation is going and previewing the truck in person. Don't count on videos or pics when making your decision.

mcmullag

since you asked

you may want to check with the DMV on how you can register a 22,000 lb truck, recreational vehicle? It could get expensive.
Also, it has air brakes so ( I hate to bring this up....) you probably need a CDL.
A deuce has air pressure over hydraulic brakes so we with deuces don't need a special drivers license.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Posting like your texting make your posts hard to read . It's a internet forum not a text site .
The site owners included this in the rules to keep threads readable

• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read!

You will miss out on a lot of useful information to your questions by texting , because the people with the information will just pass over a hard to read post .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, which truck are you considering? Title says M923 which is a cargo variant and the body says M932 which is the tractor variant. If you are considering the tractor, what type of trailer are you after? What is the primary role of the truck From here we can get a better idea of what you need to be looking for. As Porky points out, please make some effort to use caps and puncuation. Really helps readability of your posts.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I interpreted "letting me buy the truck" to mean "grudgingly agreeing to not dump me immediately after I do it anyway". ;)

The only M939-series-specific recommendation that I have is picking one that has gotten the antilock brake system (ABS) modification work order (MWO). Other than that, it's a matter of deciding which specific model(s) you like, and finding the right truck based on condition, location and price. If you can come up with more specific questions, then we can give you more detailed answers.

I think they're really neat trucks, and so far mine seems like it's the truck that I always wished that my deuces were. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

k10greene

I'm sorry about the spelling errors guys. Id like the 923 it was late so i messed up the models. I work for a riggingcompany so transport and CDL aren't an issue but is there a way that i can convert the brakes so my girlfrien can drive it? How reliable are these trucks when running off a cleaned oil- diesel mixture?

M923driver

Converting the brakes sounds a lot harder than the girlfriend getting a CDL. The ABS units, in my humble opinion, are a must on the M939 series trucks. Without it, during a panic stop the converters tend to stay locked which will stall the engine equaling no steering. Lots of folks paid the price for this, which is why the ABS mods were done. I have an A2, which has the turbo engine and ABS. Personally, I love it and prefer it over the non-turbo. HP is about the same, but torque is another matter. And you the get turbo whine. The other advice here about checking it out or having someone do it for you is pure money. You can't trust the GL desciptions completely. No clue about using other fuels in it. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Regarding converting the brakes, you would need to replace the entire air braking system with a hydraulic braking system, and thus would eliminate one of the biggest improvements of the M939 series over the earlier 5-tons in my opinion. I think it'd be much easier, cheaper and better to put your girlfriend through trucking school and have her get a class B CDL than to convert the brakes on the truck. The biggest risk is that you may need to buy a second truck, because once she gets the hang of driving it she'll probably want to keep it for herself! :driver:

k10greene

Great point on her getting a CDL then i could have two that genius. I'd have to get her a deuce because there cheap up here and would add to thru collection.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Woooo just got off the phone with Maine DMV in my state its a class C vehicle even with air brakes since its under 26,000........score
Does their 26,000 rule specify Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW, the actual weight of the vehicle at any instant in time) or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR, the total weight of the vehicle with maximum rated load)? That makes a big difference! The unloaded weight of an M923 is around 21,500, but the GVWR is 31,500. I've usually seen GWVR used in licensing and registration requirements, so I suggest that you double-check that and make really sure that a class C license is OK for an M923 in your state.

Here in California, I've found that DMV staff don't always give 100% accurate information about less common situations that can apply to us military vehicle collectors. When I was looking into licensing and registration requirements when I bought my first MV (an M109A3 2.5-ton shop van), I contacted the commercial vehicle enforcement division of our state highway patrol. The guy I talked to seemed very knowledgable, and he cited specific sections of the CA vehicle code to support each of his answers. I read the vehicle code myself and came to the same conclusions. I don't know how things are set up in Maine, but maybe there's a similar department that you could contact there? I'm under the impression that getting caught driving a vehicle with the wrong class of license is punished pretty severely here in CA, so that's not something I want to learn about when I'm pulled over on the side of the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks