• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Radiator.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, add your location(state) like the rules request.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to change the location in your profile, not just reply.

It looks like your tank is rotted away I suspect. Do you have nice pretty green anti freeze? For that kind of rot I suspect it did not have 50/50 maybe even just water?

A radiator shop might be able to rework the tank. It bolts on to the core. You might also be able to find just a replacement tank?

Flush everything and get all the nastys out and refill 50/50.

Welcome to the madness.

thegreydog

Thanks! I picked it up a couple weeks ago and have been cruising around, enjoying every second. Kind of depressing to find it after only a couple weeks.

When you say tank, is there a tank that goes on the side or is the damaged part, part of the radiator itself? I lightly touched it and I do not remember any green. Really I was kind of nervous to push through. I have never seen a local radiator shop. Ah the madness begins..

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This heavy duty radiator can be disassembled into parts. The main part in the center is the core. There are 2 tanks basically the sides on the radiator. Those are the tanks. They are bolted in with a gaziilion bolts all around and a gasket/seal. They can be replaced but I have not tried to source them. A radiator shop that does heavy duty trucks might have one or knopw where to point you.

Don't push the weak metal as you will have a huge green puddle! It holds 47qts if I remember correctly?

I was curious on the color and condition of the fluid. Easiest way is to peak into the coolant tank bottle at the top of the motor.

thegreydog

I gotcha. Yeah I was not trying to mash through. I seen the liquid and figured it for a slow leak at a seam as I was touching area I noticed it was soft. It's not pouring out, just puddling up there. I have driven it multiple times and there has not been one drip. I am going to take it in to a local truck repair tomorrow and get them to look it over. I have not been able to find side tanks, just one on ebay. I hate to have to spend this right behind purchasing, but it is what it is. Really more nervous about it releasing while driving.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several folks parting trucks in the classifieds if you need a complete radiator.

You can also post a parts wanted ad.

Somewhere down the line you are correct, that metal will give way. If the truck did not have proper coolant mix and sat a long time like most of these have, it just rusted while sitting. These trucks run cool so someone might have not filled it correctly and got away with it without overheating.

Btw, the rules also don't allow links to active auctions and ebay is considered one. Just edit your post and delete the ebay link.

Good luck on your repair.

Just another note when I flushed my system, most of the sludge and nastys were in the heater core, coolant tank reservoir, and bottom of the radiator.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
CSMDavis is supposed to be at the GA Rally next month. If he makes it he will be bringing a load of 900 series parts. You can PM him and see if he has one and what he wants for it. I had the radiator on my 5 ton wrecker re-cored and it cost around 800 bucks but that was about 5 years ago.

thegreydog

I found one at an online auction site for $800+freight. I will post some want ads tomorrow and check here, but I am uncertain about the current one and may just order. I'm not sure about how long it's been like this, do you think it is ok to drive until new one arrives?

Ord22

You will be pushing it if driving for any amount of time now. Just don't know when it would really fall apart. Get some estimates from a radiator shop that deal with trucks. See what they're talking about.

thegreydog

Long story short. I finally got a couple radiators. Unknown, both had bad cores. We were able to salvage a side tank and resolve the leak. Internally my radiator was nasty. Still have to flush more today, but we should be good. What i learned. Be sure to flush radiator good and make sure you use treatment. Thanks y'all

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one that looks to be reconditioned by the military (that is how I bought it and I never used it). I'd take $450 for it. It is in a wooden crate and would cost some bucks to ship, I'd suspect (fairly heavy/large). I won't charge you any handling, but you pay actual shipping. Another option would be to try to work the SteelSoldiers' courier method, which I'd actually prefer. See if someone on the list is driving south from my area. It is not in my way so it can sit here as long as you need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks