• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Safari trucks

Mjvaden

Well I am a total newbie here but got the bug now. We modified these two M923s for our zoo the Georgia Zoo and Safari park. The Design was based off the Six flags trucks Eastern surplus built with a few changes, and more to come. We stretched the beds 4 foot, mounted them backwards, added seating, Built Bimini tops, fabricated loading grates on the sides, color matched spray on bed liners on all three vehicles, ran the exhaust out the back and fresh paint all around. Still have quite a few modifications to make, jump seats and oh S**T handles for the guides, mud flaps mount the rear lights, some boarding steps up the side to make it easier for the guides to climb up, and misting fans for the guest in the back. We will be building 6 to 8 more of these over the next year. and looking forward to it.

Also modified a really cool trailer (which I have not been able to identify) to be a temporary loading trailer for getting guest on and off the trucks.

Now that i have these two under my belt I would love to build myself a crew cab, maybe fix up a nice van for a camp vehicle, maybe find a use for a wrecker, who knows Got the Bug! Big Time!!

Thanks for all the use full information here!

Last edited:

Carlo

Well I am a total newbie here but got the bug now. We modified these two M923s for our zoo the Georgia Zoo and Safari park. We stretched the beds 4 foot, mounted them backwards, added seating, Built Bimini tops, fabricated loading grates on the sides, ran the exhaust out the back and fresh paint all around. Still have quite a few modifications to make, jump seats and oh S**T handles for the guides, mud flaps mount the rear lights, some boarding steps up the side to make it easier for the guides to climb up, and misting fans for the guest in the back. We will be building 6 to 8 more of these over the next year.

Also modified a really cool trailer (which I have not been able to identify) to be a temporary loading trailer for getting guest on and off the trucks.

Now that i have these two under my belt I would love to build myself a crew cab, maybe fix up a nice van for a camp vehicle, maybe find a use for a wrecker, who knows Got the Bug! Big

Thanks for all the usefull information here!

Tried to add some photos but keep getting an error message to log in again if any one can help me on how to do so?

Sounds cool! Any photos?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mj, look forward to the pictures (you can email them to some of the rest of us and we will assist). Sometimes if you don't check "Stay logged in" the server doesn't act right.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazing trucks.

I know that trailer. it's the BOH Container trailer with the expansible "catwalk". I don't know the nomenclature for it.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the link. I've never seen these in Europe or should I say never for disposal auction. Are they new?
They are extremely limited, only certain units get them and we have to buy them. they aren't normal MTOE items. A few have come up for sale, but I imagine they haven't made it to EU.

MJ, no idea...

Mjvaden

Thanks Dave! They were a big HIT! to see the excitement on all the peoples faces as they realize they are going to get to ride on that Giant truck. I think some of the adults were more excited then the kids.

We built and painted all three vehicles in about 3 weeks.

Thanks again for your help and I will definitely be calling you for some parts.

DrillerSurplus

They are extremely limited, only certain units get them and we have to buy them. they aren't normal MTOE items. A few have come up for sale, but I imagine they haven't made it to EU.

A couple sold a few months ago on GL in San Diego & I got one of them. It apparently had never been used & all the catwalk accessories were still in the tool boxes. It is a HEAVY trailer. Current plan for it is to mount a big 1050 CFM X 500 PSI air compressor on it & sell into drilling industry, but your use is much cooler.

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are they driven? Is there a "course" or route? Do they actually do any "offroading"? What trailer are you pulling in that second photo? For what purpose is it used? Nice to see the "Girls" going back to work!! Thanks for sharing your pics!!

God bless,
Tony

Mjvaden

Tony, they will be driven through our 400 acre Zoo and Safari park. They will have some what of a course but will drive where ever the animals are. There is a little off roading as well as a pretty large creek to ride through.

The trailer in the second photo is not part of the ride just in our lot.

here are couple of photos just driving some of the staff through.
truck7.jpgtruck12.jpgtruck17.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks