• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 shift point

CUMMINS

I've got a m923A2 that will almost not shift out of 3rd gear. The manuals state the trans should shift at 300 rpm below max governed speed, but mine shifts right at the governed speed, all other shifts seem to be timed fine. I have searched and read several threads on adjusting the shifts via the trans cable at the thottle linkage but that has not helped. What else can I do?

Jason O

My 931A2 tractor shifted the same way. The shift points at full throttle was above governed speed. I ended up leaving the transmission alone, and instead turned up the governed speed on the engine, along with the fuel rate. The engine now pulls through 2500RPM, and upshifts at 2300RPM at full throttle. The truck now performs very well.

CUMMINS

As it is now, I have to let up to get it to shift. I may try turning up the rpm, but is there no way of reducing the rpm of the shifts. I have be in some A1s and some of them shifted a very low rpms even though the 855 will only turn 2100 The 8.3 has plenty of power, to not have to spin the guts out of it to shift out of third, going down my driveway unloaded.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There may be a small change available if the linkage from the injector pump to the tranny is misadjusted. Otherwise, it is easier to change the engine governed speed than the trans shift point. What rpm is it shifting at?

camoyj7

Simple fix. M925a2 wouldn't shift till 2100 rpm when I got it and it drove me crazy. I adjusted the cable where it mounted to the bracket. Loosen the little u bolt and slide forward. Pic #2 Test drive and see where it shifts. mine still shifted higher than I wanted. Next loosen cable jam nut at end of cable. Then remove the retainer on the throttle that holds down shift cable. Unscrew end to make longer. (see pic #1 small arrow) reinstall and test drive. I have mine where it will up shift a part throttle and not down shift till rpm's go under 1500 without a load. Edit if you adjusted cable at pic #1 only you may not have had enough adjustment. That's why I had to move cable forward on the mount pic #2.

Attachments

Last edited:

wiersema07

My m931a2 shifts too couple gears at 2100 rpm and feels like pedal is damn near on floor getting it up to 2100 and then shifts. Was curious as well if something could be adjusted. I’m trying to interpret the picture above I don’t want to tinker with it unless I’m 100% sure I know what I’m doing.

wiersema07

Some guys have mentioned this nut should be slide all way to the right and now be positioned where it is. Wasn’t sure that was true or if I need to adjust cable to get the rpm shift point to drop. First couple gears shift low and smooth. And have to floor it to get it to 2100 rpm and feels like pedal on floor trying to get it to 2100. Would love if it shifted sooner

Attachments

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is where I’m at on two different trucks.IMG_0439.jpg
Will have to see if I can find the instructions for the throttle linkage MWO. Seems like I remember it outlining the position. If nothing else, you can always go back to where it is now if you don’t get the desired result.

wiersema07

How is the governed rpm adjusted? I have to let off at 2100 to get mine to shift. That also is my max rpm
I haven’t figured it out yet. I moved the shoulder bolt like photo above to the rear mist position toward firewall. Helped accelerator some. I’m going to turn up the aneroid valve a couple turns on the IP n see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_0577.jpg
You remove the cap behind the shutoff to access the springs. Plenty of info on the google, same adjustment and spring kits used in a p-pump

wiersema07

View attachment 824417
You remove the cap behind the shutoff to access the springs. Plenty of info on the google, same adjustment and spring kits used in a p-pump
You can get a little bit by tightening the governor springs a few clicks, or a lot by putting a 3 or 4k kit in.
If you tighten them isn’t it towards the motor is tightening ? Also if you tighten the springs does it affect anything else ? Thought I’ve heard guys say if you tighten one thing it could rise or lower other parts functions ? Maybe I’m mistaken or read too many treads to keep it straight

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks