• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Tire Question

ethanroyall

My Fire Department just got a m923 with 11.00 R20 tire and we saw another 5ton with super singles on it. We were wondering if we could do it to ours, if so what size tires and rims would we need.

goldneagle

Tire size 14.00-20's. You should be able to find them already mounted on 5 ton rims. CSM Davis in MS has them in stock I believe. He is a member here. PM him.

ethanroyall

Its going to be used as a large brush truck. Personally I don't want to get rid of the dual, some of the guys on our department were wondering since they saw another department with the singles on there truck.

emr

The Search function is your friend here, There are a ton of posts about this, i will give you a fast answer that is true, duels are more stable carrying loads and more stable on side slopes, Singles are better in sandy and rocky conditions, duels when you get a flat in the rear U are not dead lined if you need to keep moving, singles will stop you, and changing a singe in the field is an awful thing to do, Duels will carry more weight , Singles are known to have side wall failure under full loads with LOW air for off road conditions, but in theater they are better off road, All the drivers i know that put thousands of miles on over there would run to the truck with duels before talking out a singled truck, I have singles on mine because they sure are cooler to most, and it sits higher and that is cool too, But sitting taller again is a bad thing off road.

kfdk14

Alot depends on how much water you carry, my dept has a 923 with 1500 gal on it and a 931 with 600 on it both on duels. our experience with singles is on our m35a3 (600gal) we had alot of tire issues mostly side wall damage we switched it to duels a month ago and it drives alot better down the road we'll see how it does off road. also fyi 1500 gal is about as much as I would put on a 923 ours has 3 500gal mil tanks, I've seen bigger tanks on them but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Scarecrow1

Like emr I have the 1400s on mine and love the look but in no way would I use them under that kind of weight . At speeds higher than 45 0r 50 the out of balance tires will give you a wild ride with no load . Would only hate to try it with a full load that moves side to side . I would stay with the duels .