• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Trans prob? Please help

rtidecucv

Drove home remanufactured M923 today. Drove/shifted perfectly for 40+ miles from base & got home safely. Trans fluid appears normal level/looks normal
MAJOR PROBLEM:
Started truck again to take to storage area and will go forward maybe 5mph tops. Like it's "stuck" in high/5th gear. Had to drive in reverse a few blocks to park it. Any suggestions? I called GL / will file a claim . On paperwork stated "starts and runs". I would think runs also means no issues w/tranny, esp. since a few thousand miles since complete rebuild. Anyone think it might be the 5th gear lock up solenoid valve?aua

Bighurt

What are you going to claim with GL your "as is" purchase doesn't meet your expectations. Your lucky it ran at all.

As always I think every truck pulled from GL needs a full PMCS before one should consider driving it anywhere. At the very least drain fluids and replace filters and new fluid.

Sounds to me like stuck valving or a stuck solenoid from 1st to 2nd.

What are the fluid levels and color?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Drove home remanufactured M923 today. Drove/shifted perfectly for 40+ miles from base & got home safely. Trans fluid appears normal level/looks normal
MAJOR PROBLEM:
Started truck again to take to storage area and will go forward maybe 5mph tops. Like it's "stuck" in high/5th gear. Had to drive in reverse a few blocks to park it. Any suggestions? I called GL / will file a claim . On paperwork stated "starts and runs". I would think runs also means no issues w/tranny, esp. since a few thousand miles since complete rebuild. Anyone think it might be the 5th gear lock up solenoid valve?aua
Did you drive it home, it runs, the GL contract states AS IS, WHERE IS, DO NOT rely ON the DESCREPTION, and DOES NOT give a 1,000,000,000 mile GUARANTEE

The bottom line is you bought a FREAKEN USED TRUCK

Last edited:

rtidecucv

Fluid levels normal. It's the color of "new motor oil", not a dark red like Dexron II for auto's. GL stated that even though starts/runs, etc. that they will work with you. Taking it off the base doesn't mean an end all/it's yours from what the reps said.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As soon as you sign the delivery invoice it yours.

Starts and runs DOES NOT mean it is drivable. You did drive it for 40+ miles so I would say the description was accurate.

If you can get Government Liquidations to do something, then more power to you. They may lock your account.

As far as the transmission goes, take it to an Allison service department and have them diagnose it. If you buy bigboy toys then be prepared to pay bigboy prices.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The first thing you should do is read the TM...they are down loadable from several sources.

The second thing you should do is get underneath and make sure all the transmission bolts are tight....those trucks had an issue with them backing themselves out and allowiing the tranny to come loose. When I was at Fort Benning they were putting bolts in them with the holes in the heads so they could safety wire them on.

That tranny was made by Allison and there is prob an RV or truck repair shop near you that can help you figure out the problem.

As stated above....good luck with getting GL to make an adjustment.....they are sitting in the catbird seat and they know it....and they have more lawyers and money than you do. Those are the same lawyers that wrote the fine print you didn't read (I didn't read it either) when you joined the site.

Buying from GL is a crapshoot....sometimes you get to ride in the elevator....sometimes you just get the shaft.

jwaller

ya. also know that uncle same does not put tranny fluid in the transmission. they use diff oil. most say it's a good idea to swap it out. will take a few hundred dollars and several swaps but you can do it.

that may fix your problem, but if it doesn't then don't blame me and say it's my fault for giving bad advise. it is advisory in nature only and may or may not help you truck.

M1075

MAJOR PROBLEM:
I'm not sure what your claim would be. You stated that it drove/shifted perfectly. There is no warranty and unfortuntately it sounds like you are on the unwelcome end of the school of hard knocks. Buying a surplus truck from Government Liquidation can certainly have its upside, but there is always substantial risks involved to the buyer. Hopefully, it will be a simple/minor fix and you can get her rolling again soon!

KsM715

I'm not sure what your claim would be. You stated that it drove/shifted perfectly. There is no warranty and unfortuntately it sounds like you are on the unwelcome end of the school of hard knocks.
:ditto: It started and it ran,off the lot.

Not that we all want to see GL stick it to the little man, but we've all been here long enough to know how far this fill go with GL. They come thru on a few claims for a small number of people on here, but what do you want them to do? They are not going to pay to get your trans rebuilt.

engineer233

Best of luck with GL. Bought my M923 and watched the video of it moving and running before I bid. Won it , drove it 400+ miles toward home and a bearing went out in the transfer case. This also had to be at 1am and 150 miles from home. Most of us on here feel the same pain you do. The bottom line is s#!t happens when you buy surplus that has been sitting for who knows how long. I really honestly wish you the best of luck though.

halftrack

I had a similiar problem with with the transmission being stuck in 3rd. It was caused by a little corrosion on the valves located underneath the transmission in the pan. Over time a little water will settle out of the fluid from sitting up over a long period of time and corrode the valves preventing them from shifting. I simply disassembled the valve body module and used steel wool and it shifted perfectly afterwards. Be VERY, VERY, CAREFUL when taking it apart because there are small little check ball valves that are easy to lose. Make sure you note where they go. They look like they could go into a hundred different spots but can only go into certain ones.

rorybellows

if memory serves me correctly, they use 15w-40. its been awhile, so dont take it as gospel. probably wouldnt hurt to contact allison shop and ask what the correct fluid to run would be. crawl under the truck and find the tag on the tranny. on the right or left side, depending on model.

they used motor oil for simplicity and logistical reasons, just like jp-8. is it ideal? no. will it work? well, you figure most rigs get refurbed with few miles on them (compared to a civvie rig), so it'll last til then. usually.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck, hope it's not too expensive. It does seem like theiir description was accurate, it "starts and runs", heck it even drives. I wonder how many folks buy trucks that say "doesn't run" take it home and start it, then call GL and try to pay additional? Forgive my sarcasm, I just think claims are best saved for stolen parts and blatant description errors.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I could help you diagnose it, but I am no Allison expert.

This is, however, a perfect example of the risk/reward of buying direct from GL. Honestly, I hope you get somewhere with them, but I would not hold my breath. Unfortunately, sodomy tends to be a favorite pastime of the GL beast...

By definition, starts & runs does not include anything about "drives" and/or "stops".

This is why some guys can justify paying more for a truck from a reputable dealer. Guys who work their trucks and depend on them for a living tend to buy that way, rather than take a risk and have a truck break down on them with no recourse.

I hope it ends up being a simple fix for you, but GL is not a car dealer, so don't expect much of a warranty from them.

GL trucks are generally "warranted" to be trucks that you can buy for pennies on the dollar. That's it, nothing more. And even that "warranty" expired once you moved it from its resting place on their lot.