• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Transfer Case Fluid

Westex

Anybody know how to drain and change the fluid on a 923 ESP transfer case? (1997 model)... Fluid?......Fill plug? (Already found the drain plug!)

fasttruck

Think about getting the lubrication order for the vehicle possibly available on jatonka's site and these questions will be answered. I recall they took OE10 as transmission fluid which was probably poured in through the tube the dip stick is in which is accessed through a trap door in the cab flloor. Don't make a move without the pubs.

Westex

I have already done the tranny, which is accessed through said trap door; but I can't find anything on changing out the transfer case oil; Oh well.

Westex

Adding to this thread after some more research; I called Stewart & Stevenson and found out that this transfer case shares fluid with the transmission. Since this is FMTV running gear based, one has to change the fluid in BOTH the transmission and the transfer case at the same time to effectuate a complete fluid change. aua

jatonka

Wow, I never knew about the ESP rebuilds, my 923 is a 1984 original and has a transfer case separate from the Allison transmission. live and learn, JT

FP1201

The MTV/LMTV use a combination transmission and transfercase. Best is Synthetic Dextron, but Soldiers have been know to put 10wt in them, even 15W40. Don't forget the filters; the pair will run ~$75. Take the tag information off the side and call your Detroit Diesel/Allison Dealer NOT a vehicle dealership.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks