• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m923 Transmission is making a buzzing sound when I put it in 1st or reverse

acesneights1

I am told this means the transmission is toast ? Please tell me this isn't the case. Sounds like a faint low air warning buzzer. The truck still seems to drive fine in fact it went away at one point.
I should have kept my Deuce.

charger53

Mine makes a vibration noise idling in first or reverse. The trans seems fine and hasnt had any problems. It pulls well and shifts strong. I have always thought it was normal

acesneights1

It is fine, it just needs a trail ride at Weare.
yes it does....
I talked to M & T Transmission. He said because the army used Motor Oil in these sometimes they cavitate a little when you start them up. Nothing to worry about and the noise it gone...
Whew....Dodged a bullet.Of course right after that the a/c in my house crapped out and we are headed for record heat Sunday...:(

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes it does....
I talked to M & T Transmission. He said because the army used Motor Oil in these sometimes they cavitate a little when you start them up. Nothing to worry about and the noise it gone...
Whew....Dodged a bullet.Of course right after that the a/c in my house crapped out and we are headed for record heat Sunday...:(
If it is really cavitation, then I would think you would want to stop it. The pressures involved with creation of those bubbles will eat away softer metals where they form. I guess if it happens on a steel part it may not be an issue. My exposure was with bronze props on my boat.

acesneights1

I asked the guy exactly that because I am a class 3 water system operator and I know all to well what it can do to our pumps but he said it's minor and alot of them do it and not to worry. I guess maybe cause it's oil not water ? I have seen what water cavitation can do to our pumps.