• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 truck Sparta WI to Connecticut

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I just won a m923a2 truck in running/driving condition. I will make a bank wire payment to GL later today. As soon as I receive notice of payment clearing I need to have it picked up and hauled to Stratford, CT. I would prefer someone with ramps so I do not have to get a crane at both ends. I do have a mechanic who can be at the Sparta location at pickup to assist. I can pay cash for the haul. Thanks
Will

NightOwl

I got one in Sparta also. I need to get it to Maryland. Can we share a trailer?? I got quotes of $1,750 the last time I checked. I'm thinking of just flying there and driving back. People say I'm crazy, so that's why I want to do it.... unless I could share a trailer.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I would rather have a drive on but we can see who we can get to haul and if they have a step deck big enough for two. Do you know how long it takes a bank wire to clear with gl. It should be almost instantly in their account.
Will

Vintage iron

most of the guys who haul these trucks can haul two 5 tons. You should be able to cut the price for both trucks if they are going the same are. 1750. is bad for the distance.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If they have the stepdeck for 2 5tons do you need a crane at each end to unload? I dont want to forklift and damage the underside of my truck.
Will

dogtags

Military Veterans Museum and Education Center uses Brad Watson Trucking for all non-armor moves. He has great rates and good availability.

His contact info is:
Brad Watson
Madison, WI
608-220-0667
bradwatson2@hotmail.com

Tell him I sent you, please.

~Robert

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 923 just was shipped from my AO to Wisconsin, for $1900.

Your best using "live chat" on GL, for answers.

Just because a truck was listed as running or drove on to lot, does not mean it is roadworthy.

Do you have it insured yet? What's your plans for a plate?

Any experiance with these trucks or commercial rigs?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I had someone in the army on base check it out. It is a 2010 red river rebuild in great running condition only a few hundred miles since rebuild. The Sparta location is a storage and maintenance unit this truck was from their inventory. I will have State Farm ins on it by Monday it's in the works. I m going to reg it as a camper it meets the statute requirements in CT. Campers are cdl and dot statute exempt nationwide. I have driven hmmwv's and been the passenger in a 5ton many times but I do admit I have never driven one. I have driven small box trucks it can't be that hard to drive the 923. That said I would take any advice more experienced people have to give.
Will

My advice: It's not that hard to fly an airplane either, but much like an M-923 when things go bad they go really bad. I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, just go into this with the right frame of mind get educated and then make your decissions.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
That's why I am having it shipped back here not driving it. I will read the manual and just take it slow. It's got big mirrors and I bought a reverse cam and led lights all around.
Will

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shipped is a great idea!

Before you start driving it, read and understand how an air brake system works.

You really do need to understand it, to safely be able to drive it.

Also, give the truck a complete once over. Never assume anything with a surplus truck.

We can help educate you.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search this site for Steve Justice.

I've hired him to haul in the past, and was 100% satisfied with him.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently loaded a 923 here in NY and it went to Wi. This was a U ship deal and it cost $1900.

The "truckers" were a clown act. I do not recommend using U ship.

I would expect to pay 2-4 bucks per mile.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need to buy some time to make shipping arraignments, perhaps a site member in Wisconsin could pick it up and hold it for you for a while.

I think Kenny does this(and he also comes to NY occasionally. I recall another newer member offering this in WI as well.

Do some searching in the transport forums. There are 61 threads that come up with a search for wisconsin(in this forum). Surely one of then can help with names and contact info.

I really recommend doing all this before bidding.

Last edited:

trukhead

Fort McCoy Services

Check the above thread out. I'm going to pay Jeff to inspect, drive off the base to his shop my M931A2, give it a preliminary fluid and whatever else check over and he will then drive it to my home a 100 miles from the base. Jeff has a M1031 shop on wheels that he tows behind so he can deal with problems and he knows the trucks. His fee is cheap insurance and worth double what he charges!
In your case, getting your truck off base and into a staging lot is what you want. Perhaps Jeff can check it over so you could drive it but 8 miles to the gallon with $4.00-$4.50 gallon fuel, it might be cheaper to haul it on a back haul.:mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks