• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 vs M813

m31426

i am planning on getting a 5 ton in the next year or so and was looking for some advice from some advice on which one to get based on things like off road capabilities / reliability / rust problems / and most anything else that is better or worse about one or the other
and the need for a CDL is not a problem

thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me be the first to ask. What is a 900 or 800?

No, not picking on you but if you want accurate information........

quickfarms

The 923 has a bigger cab, wedge air brakes and an auto trans.

The big differences are the

1 The transmission, do you like stick or auto? A lot of people bag on the automatic and this results from three major issues, the first is the military is running engine oil in them and not dextron, the second is the shift points are not correctly set and the third is not learning how to drive an Allison correctly.

2 The cab, the 923 cab is better and has floor mats but it can leak just as bad as the other cab.

3 The brakes, the 923 has wedge air brakes which add redundant stopping capability but are a much bigger pain in the arse than s cam air brakes to adjust and work on. The 813 used a single circuit hydraulic brake system with no redundancy.

Cycletek

M813 is more of a WORK truck and is sturdier in ROUGH use, the M923 is more of a driver truck and has some weak tendencies if used roughly or incorrectly. The M923 WILL NOT tolerate being put in reverse in low, to back out of a situation, it will break the transfer case, seen many of these trucks come out of the GL this way, even though it says not to do it......

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you need/want to use it for?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like my M813 and have driven the M939 series trucks. For my kind of driving either one works just fine. I don't haul anything except tools and I don't get crazy off-road.

F18hornetM

I drove Both in the Marines in the early 80's when the M923's were new. Compared to the M813's we had, I liked the air shift front axle on the M923's. Otherwise, I prefer the M813. It seemed to me the M813 was a little more powerful, especially in sand and mountain roads. [un-paved roads] Same engine so maybe was because the M813 had manual trans, or my imagination. But if I remember the M923's were faster. Been a long time ago. I have an M813 now and chose it over a M923. unless you have an odd purpose, I think both will serve the same role. The M813 is prettier!!!!!:D

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drive both in Kentucky, the M813 likes off road better. The M939s are easier to drive. M813 front grill has the look of, "get out of my way". Both are good units.

mcmullag

your situation may be a tough call. I have owned two deuces, now have a M923a2. I just keep them on streets and do parades. The M923a2 is really nice but for off road I just don't know. The truck is 12 ft tall and 25 feet long and empty,010.jpg weighs 10 and 3/4 tons. How about a Jeep Rubicon? If you get stuck, whom is going to pull you out. Best of luck!

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
The 923 has a bigger cab, wedge air brakes and an auto trans.

The big differences are the

1 The transmission, do you like stick or auto? A lot of people bag on the automatic and this results from three major issues, the first is the military is running engine oil in them and not dextron, the second is the shift points are not correctly set and the third is not learning how to drive an Allison correctly.

2 The cab, the 923 cab is better and has floor mats but it can leak just as bad as the other cab.

3 The brakes, the 923 has wedge air brakes which add redundant stopping capability but are a much bigger pain in the arse than s cam air brakes to adjust and work on. The 813 used a single circuit hydraulic brake system with no redundancy.
I have to ask, what do you mean about "not learning how to drive and Allison correctly"? What is "correctly"?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've owned both and the M923 is a more comfortable ride, I like the air brakes better, and like the air shift t-case. I don't like the high/low on the transfer case (they can be a pain to shift).

I also think the M813 has more usable power due to the trans. While I haven't run both side by side, the M813 seems to pull better due to the manual trans. I could be wrong but the "seat of the pants" feeling is the M813 has more power.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

Triple C

My impression of learning to drive the Allison correctly meant to learning how to anticipate and adjust throttle to shift points. When I first got the 925 I didn't care for the transmission at all but as I learned how to drive it the transmission seemed to shift easier:D Of course it shifts like butter with a load on the truck but I don't work the truck I only loaded it up once to see what the difference would be. I think one of the best pieces of information I received was the admonition to remember that this is a tactical truck, not the class 8 truck I was used to driving, so depending on your level of heavy truck experience, I think the Allison will do everything you will need to do. I can't speak to the 813, never driven one. Good luck

Smokinyoda

I would prefer the 813 if not for the sprag engagement. To many things can go wrong on the M939s for me to feel comfortable off road with them. But I do love the air engagement of the front axle, to me thats there biggest plus.

F18hornetM

So there is your answer... Get one of each!!!!! Although the M813's are pretty hard to find at auction now it seems. At least one that's worth having.

scopionf89

Has anyone put the best of each together? An M923A2 with a manual transmission from the 813......Air brakes and a stick........
If that's possible I might have to break down and by a 5 ton. I have been wanting a wrecker been thinking mostly on the 800 based ones. I did not know they had a sprag in them. I figured that since they were about the same age as the m35a2 they would have the same air shift transfer case. So if it is possible to put a 800 trans mission in the 900 truck then that might be a mach made in heaven. As long as you don't have to do two much refiting.