• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 White smoke and knocking

Hello everyone,
I purchased my first 5 ton about a month ago and finally got around to tinkering with it today . Its a 1983 m923 with a Cummins NHC 250. I bought the truck from a volunteer fire department in Oklahoma. The truck was advertised as "running and driving but has engine knocks and needs work." I decided that for the price it was worth the gamble and bought it. My initial impression after taking delivery of my new truck was that it was very straight and overall seemed like a solid truck. (Big thanks to 98G for the transportation! Great guy to deal with.) Needless to say I was extremely excited and happy with my new truck! I fired the truck up and immediately heard the pronounced knocking sound described by the seller. I gave the engine a little throttle to see if the knock got louder and it seemed to lessen as RPM's increased. I then attempted to move the truck into my yard and with the truck in gear the engine died as soon as I touched the throttle pedal. I attempted to restart it and it just cranked and cranked didn't even attempt to pop or start. I let the truck sit for about 5 minutes and then tried to start it again, to my surprise it fired right up. I rapidly moved it to the backyard and parked it. I pulled it out today to see what i could figure out and so far im not finding anything obvious. The Oil looks good no shiny specs or metallic pieces that I can see on the dipstick, in the rocker boxes, or from the small sample I removed from the oil pan. No oil in coolant or coolant in oil . Coolant level and oil levels are good. I used an infrared thermometer to measure the exhaust ports coming out of the heads and all were close to 190° at idle except cyl. #5 which was about 210°. I pulled the valve covers to see if i could see anything obvious but everything appears ok at first glance.
I then attempted to do a cylinder cutout test by holding open the injector rocker with a pry bar, but my results were inconsistent. Sometimes the engine would change rpm or sound slightly different but very indistinctly, nothing like pulling a sparkplug on a gas engine or doing a cylinder cutout test on a computer controlled diesel. Other times I got no reaction at all when the injectors were held closed and not one single injector responded consistently when doing this? I pulled the fuel filter off and it was full of rust and had at least a cup of water maybe more in the separator. Throughout this whole process I noticed the engine was blowing white smoke out the stack, its particularly bad when you rev the engine up but smokes constantly even at idle. When the engine is reved a few times and you let it return to idle, it idles slow then it will die the next time the pedal is pressed. Then it wont restart until it has sit for at least 5 min. The smoke smells like old raw diesel and burns your eyes and sinus not like antifreeze or condensation. The Oil Pressure Guage shows good pressure and it doesnt take long to build pressure once its started. I plan to do an overhead adjustment, change the fuel filter, replace rubber lines and put fresh fuel with some 2 stroke oil in it tomorrow. Is there anything else im overlooking that might cause this thing to knock and bellow white smoke like it is? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
First thing I'd do is pull the injectors to have them tested and adjusted. While they are out I'd clean up the fuel supply system.

mdemars03

First off welcome to the 5 ton club from another El Paso member. There are a couple of us here in El Paso. A bit of advice for this site is everyone loves pictures and sometimes pictures can help people give you troubleshooting ideas.

Take this for what it's worth as I don't have near as much experience with these trucks as others here, but if you found rust and water in the fuel I would start by draining the fuel and cleaning out the fuel system to start with. It is a real pain to prime these trucks but if there is water in the fuel system that needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

Another bit of advice I can give you as this will help tremendously, go to the Technical Manual section on this site and read the operators manual. It will give you a ton of info on your truck. The TM section also has pretty much every manual you will need to troubleshoot and repair your truck. The folks here will help you out more than you could possibly know, but the TM's are a good place to start. Most people here will end up referring you to the manuals or citing the manuals in their replies to help you out.

As for the help you already got, you are absolutely right, 98G is an awesome guy to deal with. I got my M923A2 from him and it has been the best vehicle purchase I have ever made.

Again, welcome form another El Paso member.

:tank: :driver:

Last edited:

603hellmutt

98G has helped me more times then I can count and it's a great relief to know he's there if you have questions. First thing I always do on any vehicle is fuel system I am in the process of ordering a new aftermarket fuel water separator. Water is never a good thing. Best of luck

Gimpy thanks for the advice. I do plan to have the injectors cleaned and adjused but I was hoping to figure out the knock before I invested any substantial amount of money into this engine. Maybe ill just bite the bullet and take them to get serviced. Is it possible that a stuck or badly firing injector can cause a knock? I know it could definitely cause all the smoke.

mdemars03 didn't think there were any members on SS still in the El Paso area? I know a few used to live in the area but moved away.
I did download most of the Tm's to diagnose and troubleshoot but I found just as much info from searching the site and reading old posts. Like you said this place is a wealth of knowledge and information. Cleaning the fuel system is first on my list of things to do. Along those other few things I listed. Im also seriously considering pulling those injectors and having them cleaned and checked at the very least. Thanks for the warm welcome! Its great to be part of the 5 ton club cant wait to get her on the road!

Yeah I would like to avoid putting any Windows in my block if I Can . Thats crazy that it let go after only knocking for 3 seconds maybe it had been knocking for awhile? Hope my engine doesn't wind up the same. Was that the wrist pin or crankshaft side of that rod?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The truck ran for two hours at 2000rpms airing up the tires on it and the truck I was towing. It made it 5 miles towing with the load on it and it blew the hole. No warning. full of coolant and oil and only 350miles on the rebuild and it was not overly stressed. The piston stuck up, rod broke in half and it snapped the rod bolts right off. The rod is still hooked to the piston up top.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck ran for two hours at 2000rpms airing up the tires on it and the truck I was towing. It made it 5 miles towing with the load on it and it blew the hole. No warning. full of coolant and oil and only 350miles on the rebuild and it was not overly stressed. The piston stuck up, rod broke in half and it snapped the rod bolts right off. The rod is still hooked to the piston up top.

RRAD truck?

SLOrazorsedge

I had a similar experience with my M936A1. I was getting sudden diesel knock after sitting for a couple months during the winter. Pulled the fuel filter can down, it was full of water and muck. Changed it out with a new updated filter which has the Schrader valve on top. My fuel tanks had lots of brown gooey crap stuck to the low sides and bottom. I drained and cleaned. Added new clean fuel with copious amount of diesel fuel treatment. There definitely was at least one hung up injector with a severe diesel knock. Thought I was going to have to pull them all. I was patient and continued to fire the truck up everyday for a week. The injectors cleared and the truck is back running as good as ever. I drained and changed The oil and filter, also sent off a sample of oil for analysis checking for excess metals and diesel fuel in oil. The analysis report came back great. You can buy the kit at Napa for $14 bucks. I wish you the same luck I had !

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If your comfy running it while she knocks, grab a screwdriver, put the handle to your ear and the other end on the block by the oilpan. Put it in the spots where you think a rod would be, check all 6 spots. You should gain an idea of where the issue is, then I'd drop the oilpan and look around.

mdemars03

didn't think there were any members on SS still in the El Paso area? I know a few used to live in the area but moved away.
I did download most of the Tm's to diagnose and troubleshoot but I found just as much info from searching the site and reading old posts. Like you said this place is a wealth of knowledge and information.
Yeah, there are a couple of us here. I have the one, I have a brother in law that lives in Clint with a long bed 5 ton, a wrecker, and a deuce and a half. There is another guy with an old 5 ton in town too. He bought my old M52A2. My brother in law and I offroad our trucks quite a bit and try to do a couple parades here in El Paso and out at Elephant Butte. I'm thinking about taking mine to the car show in Ruidoso this October.

You are definitly correct about this site having just as much useful info as the TM'so. The other thing better about this place then the TM'so is if you read something you don't understand people here can explain things better then the manuals. Plus the first hand expirence in stuff makes a difference too.

Like some of the others have said make sure the knock isn't anything other then hopefully just a fuel knock. It would not be good to throw a rod and have a new window in your motor.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey! my engine with a window still runs. It locked up that night but I tried it a few weeks ago and it fired off and ran. for a few minutes anyways. Would need a lot of JB weld, flex seal, and gorilla tape to plug that leak though. And some incredible ear plugs.

mdemars03

Hey! my engine with a window still runs. It locked up that night but I tried it a few weeks ago and it fired off and ran. for a few minutes anyways. Would need a lot of JB weld, flex seal, and gorilla tape to plug that leak though. And some incredible ear plugs.
JB Weld and duct tape can fix anything!:grin:

UPDATE- changed Fuel, Fuel Filter, flushed lines and drove for about 20 miles and white smoke cleared up nicely. Still knocking so I pulled the oil pan and found metal shavings. Shavings are non ferrous wont stick to my magnet so I pulled the main and rod cap from cyl 6 bearings look ok. Ill be pulling the rear head today to see if I can identify the culprit I believe the piston is rocking in the bore and causing the knock. Ill update this thread with pics as soon as I find the problem

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Liner kits are available the carquest number is a 226-1747. Truckpro should have them as well .

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When my outer air filter element on my D7F Cat got caked with dust, it would instantly start blowing smoke and running rough. Not gradually, instantly.

A clogged air filter element isn't likely the problem, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Following your progress anyway, because sounds like you know what you are doing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks