• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a1 air brake question

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Be VERY VERY CAREFUL using reverse in low range. And by "very very careful", I mean you probably shouldn't do it. TMs, dash plates and Steel Soldiers members alike caution against it. Using reverse in low range is an easy way to crack the transfer case housing wide open. Some folks say it should be somewhat less dangerous with the truck modified to disengage the front axle, but I still avoid doing it.

I still think it's handy to be able to disengage the front axle in low range. I like to use low range on the rough and hilly dirt roads in my neighborhood because that better matches the slow speeds I want to go with the gearbox ranges, so I can use a few gears of the transmission rather than staying in first gear and braking a lot on the downhills. It makes the driving smoother. Some parts of those roads are paved, so I don't always need the front axle engaged.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it is a good idea to be able to disengage the front axle when in low range. I do not use low range much in the M939's, but I do not put it in reverse when I do.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Be VERY VERY CAREFUL using reverse in low range. And by "very very careful", I mean you probably shouldn't do it. TMs, dash plates and Steel Soldiers members alike caution against it. Using reverse in low range is an easy way to crack the transfer case housing wide open. Some folks say it should be somewhat less dangerous with the truck modified to disengage the front axle, but I still avoid doing it.

I still think it's handy to be able to disengage the front axle in low range. I like to use low range on the rough and hilly dirt roads in my neighborhood because that better matches the slow speeds I want to go with the gearbox ranges, so I can use a few gears of the transmission rather than staying in first gear and braking a lot on the downhills. It makes the driving smoother. Some parts of those roads are paved, so I don't always need the front axle engaged.
The reason the xcase gets broke is because the truck shifts into fwd when the xcase is shifted into low, heavy foot GI puts the pedel DOWN, all that no spin traction touque has to go somewhere, it was cheaper to retofit a lockout plate and a "do not do reverse while in low" data plate then train heavy foot how to drive a BIG, HEAVY ALL WHEEL DRIVE TRUCK, common sense driving is all that is needed

Artisan

-10/2012 TM says on page 374

CAUTION

If vehicle gets stuck on ice or in snow, do not rock vehicle by shifting rapidly between reverse
and forward gears. This can cause power train damage.

end

-10/2012 TM says on page 70

IT ACTUALLY SAYS NOTHING FOR SAFE SPEEDS IN REVERSE IN LOW RANGE.!
(Do you suppose that means do not use reverse in low range? )

end

Yeah i have heard about the t case getting split. I havent done it and dont plan too. Maybe tonight I will take the truck out and do a little off roading. Dont worry I live in the sticks and i wont be near any houses or people. We have alot of sand here in new mexico and want to see how the beast does in the sand. Lets hope the 6 wheel drive works! This morning i had a friend of mine who works at a big rig shop to test the truck for leaks and make sure the brakes were adjusted corectly. So now the brakes are tip top and i cant wait to have fun in this thing. I wont drive it on main roads until I am enrolled in the school but my house is at the end of a road that leads right into great offroad fun. I will take it down tonight and have some fun. Fingers crossed I dont find anything else wrong with it. Hopefully I can post some pictures of my new toy and its first adventure!

Artisan

Have you made an air hose yet so you can connect it to the right rear and
air your tires back up after you lower the air to go in the sand? It will go
at 70 PSI
but if you start to get stuck air down a ton on all 6 corners and she'll
walk right out...

What did the manual say for sand, 25PSI? I ferget..

Luckily the truck came with a air hose that connected to a glad hand. I am planning on running at 35-40 psi to start out and i will go from there. Right now I am going to go warm it up and get it all ready! I hope everything goes good I havent had it running for more than 30 minutes at a time. I have checked all fluids and everthing is good to go. Wish me luck.

Ok so i went on a real adventure and it actually did better than i expected. Does alot better offroad than any of my 4x4s. Took some pics but i will probably post tomarrow. ALOT of fun to drive handles just like a sports car. Ha. I saw a guy out there riding a dirt bike and he just had to stop me. He asked, " why would you even need one ofthese things, its massive!" I just said, "why not." He loved it as well as I. That rear end can be a real backbreaker. Going over bumps you would go through them not over them. I was out for around an hour and the truck handled flawlessly. As i got more used to it i put it through its paces with steep sandy hills, twist in the chassis and just plain going through deep sand. The thing i fear is getting stuck because I dont have anything that would even come close to pulling it out. Only a antique farmall tractor & 15 other cars. It would probably take all of them to pull it out. All the dive train sounds good and t case shifts fairly easy but it helps to be rolling. Oh kind of off topic but i am trying to get the thing registered and they want 2 or more serial numbers on the truck. I know 1 area which is on the dash but i need another location. Anyone know of other locations?

commandojeff

Every time someone asks me why I need my truck, I simply say. "Why do you have your car, truck, dirtbike, etc...?" They always answer "well cause it's fun" or "it's my hobby". And I look at them and look at my truck. They usually get the idea...

Glad it drives good for you. They are some awesome trucks.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nice truck! Definitely a USMC truck! It should have the lockers since it a Marine truck. They spec the ISO beds, winch set up, lockers, and your bumper had the "paper clip" lifting points welded to the bumper and then cut off.

Did the truck come from Saginaw Texas as I was eyeing that big lot that sold out of there recently?

I am pretty sure the truck came from that auction since i didnt actually buy it from the government. I bought from a guy who did and he just had the truck for a month or so before i got it. I didnt air down the tires because i didnt have much extra time and it was running at 50 psi and it still went through places where i have had my 4x4 stuck before. Probably could have chosen a better day to go because the temp was around 45 degrees with 50 mph gusts. I wish it had the top. Ha. The only problem i had is the power steering cap poping off and spilling a little oil. When i got home i filled it back up and tightly put the cap back on. It is a blast to drive and if you cant quite make a corner you just go over whatever is in the way. My truck has the fording kit but i doubt if i will ever get to try it out here in new mexico. Anyone else have the deep water fording kit? Has anyone ever tried it out? I love the lockers but i would love it even more if you could disengage them when only in 4 wheel drive.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought best to copy n paste so I don't get it wrong. From the Eaton webpage:

Detroit Locker Differentials

The legendary Detroit Locker began the revolution in performance differentials and still leads the industry today as an Eaton brand. The Detroit Locker is the most durable and dependable locking differential available.

The Detroit Locker maximizes traction by delivering 100% of the torque to both drive wheels. It is engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode, and has the ability to automatically allow wheel speed differentiation when required. Applications are also available for C-Clip style axles.

No other performance differential has the reputation for delivering traction in mud, snow, rocks and on the track. The choice of professional racers and off-road enthusiasts around the world! The durability of the Detroit Locker is unmatched!

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...utomotiveAftermarket/Differentials/PCT_221432

I do not have any pictures of any on a 5 ton as mine is not USMC. Maybe another member can chime in with more details and pics.

Attachments

As far as i know they made very few air lockers and they are hard to find. I wish i had some on all 3 axles that would make me happy. I wish i knew of a company that made some.