• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a1--can i use 10-30 oil in trans

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend dropping the pan and changing the filter and gasket. it is a very common filter available made by wix at NAPA or other brands at hd stores. Spin on under the hood is also very easy and readily available.

Both are easy and require no special tools. Just cheap pm and insurance while changing the fluid.

Lube order says 17qt when drain and refill. Maybe an extra qt for spin on filter and a qt for the tranny filter extra.

commandojeff

I would recommend dropping the pan and changing the filter and gasket. it is a very common filter available made by wix at NAPA or other brands at hd stores. Spin on under the hood is also very easy and readily available.

Both are easy and require no special tools. Just cheap pm and insurance while changing the fluid.

Lube order says 17qt when drain and refill. Maybe an extra qt for spin on filter and a qt for the tranny filter extra.
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if that was the better way to go as well. Looks like another project for when the weather gets warmer. Is there a gasket that goes on the pan that I need to order online?

Carlo

When you drain the fluid, about how much do you get out of the system? Just by using the drain plug to drain it? I'm curious because I would like to buy some new fluid but don't know how much to buy. Thanks guys.
Nice photo. I have never measured what came out. I add 15 liters and start he up and let her warm up and then begin checking and adding. You never drain every thing out cause you cant from a auto trans. There is always more than a few liters left in the trans. Remember the filter and I also open the bleed off screw on the trans heat converter tank to let any air out.
How are the shift points on your trans?

commandojeff

Nice photo. I have never measured what came out. I add 15 liters and start he up and let her warm up and then begin checking and adding. You never drain every thing out cause you cant from a auto trans. There is always more than a few liters left in the trans. Remember the filter and I also open the bleed off screw on the trans heat converter tank to let any air out.
How are the shift points on your trans?
That's why I was wondering how much you actually get out of the trans just by draining it. I know you won't get all the fluid out, that's impossible. I'm just trying to build up a knowledge of what I need to do to change it. Thanks for the info.

The shifts on my truck are smooth. But the downshifts are rough from 2nd to 1st. So I'm going to try changing the fluid out for Dex 3 and the filters and see how far that gets me. If it is still rough I might try adjusting it like you said. It seems to shift at the proper RPM ranges as well. We will see.

Carlo

That's why I was wondering how much you actually get out of the trans just by draining it. I know you won't get all the fluid out, that's impossible. I'm just trying to build up a knowledge of what I need to do to change it. Thanks for the info.

The shifts on my truck are smooth. But the downshifts are rough from 2nd to 1st. So I'm going to try changing the fluid out for Dex 3 and the filters and see how far that gets me. If it is still rough I might try adjusting it like you said. It seems to shift at the proper RPM ranges as well. We will see.
I love to share from what I learned. The hard down shft will be little better with dex3 but it wont hurst to adjust the cable located on the inside of the gas cable. Look for the gas cable on the injection pump. On the back side of this is another cable. This is like a "kick down" cable has they had on cars. Un screw this a few turns at a time. This lowers the pump presure a little making it shift smoother. The dex3 has aditives to make the trans shift smoother also. Let me know how it goes.

350TacoZilla

Hey guys I also had a question on this but didnt want to start new thread, I was looking at tractor supply other day at their traveller 2 gal dexron 3 fluid for 29.99 when I noticed the "Premium" tractor auto trans fluid 19.99 for 2 gal or 39.99 for 5 gal. The premium fluid states it is 10w-20 with special additives, also states on back of bottle it is recommended for allison autos as it meets or exceeds c2 c3 and c4 standards. I'm not looking to save a buck here and kill my trans but if it does meet allisons standards it should be fine to use correct? I looked up what allison recomends for our trans. and looks to be dexron III OR c-4.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/documents/product/13-TR-90, Rev E.pdf

http://www.tractorsupply.com/traveller-reg-atf-dexron-iii-mercon-transmission-fluid-2-gal--0831134

http://www.tractorsupply.com/traveller-reg-universal-tractor-trans-hydraulic-fluid-2-gal--0806383

http://www.tractorsupply.com/traveller-reg-universal-tractor-trans-hydraulic-fluid-5-gal--0806391

commandojeff

Hey guys I also had a question on this but didnt want to start new thread, I was looking at tractor supply other day at their traveller 2 gal dexron 3 fluid for 29.99 when I noticed the "Premium" tractor auto trans fluid 19.99 for 2 gal or 39.99 for 5 gal. The premium fluid states it is 10w-20 with special additives, also states on back of bottle it is recommended for allison autos as it meets or exceeds c2 c3 and c4 standards. I'm not looking to save a buck here and kill my trans but if it does meet allisons standards it should be fine to use correct? I looked up what allison recomends for our trans. and looks to be dexron III OR c-4.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/documents/product/13-TR-90,%20Rev%20E.pdf

http://www.tractorsupply.com/traveller-reg-atf-dexron-iii-mercon-transmission-fluid-2-gal--0831134

http://www.tractorsupply.com/traveller-reg-universal-tractor-trans-hydraulic-fluid-2-gal--0806383

http://www.tractorsupply.com/traveller-reg-universal-tractor-trans-hydraulic-fluid-5-gal--0806391
As I don't know what the answer to your question is. I do think that going with the Dexron is a better way to go. How much are you going to be changing the fluid in your transmission? For me and the amount of miles I will be putting on my truck (which is not a lot). I am changing it this one time and maybe once more after that to get as much of the old fluid out as possible. After that, it should be good for the amount of time I own it. This also depends on how the fluid looks down the road. But it's just a thought to keep in mind. Maybe spending the extra isn't so bad if you are only doing it a couple times.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carlo,

Napa should sell online but i do not know if they will ship Internationally.
If you can not get them to ship, I would be glad to help you. Send me a pm.

350TacoZilla,

You want to use Dexron. It has tranny additives. Hydraulic tractor fluid usually does not have Tranny additives. Dexron is pretty cheap and easy to find.

350TacoZilla

As I don't know what the answer to your question is. I do think that going with the Dexron is a better way to go. How much are you going to be changing the fluid in your transmission? For me and the amount of miles I will be putting on my truck (which is not a lot). I am changing it this one time and maybe once more after that to get as much of the old fluid out as possible. After that, it should be good for the amount of time I own it. This also depends on how the fluid looks down the road. But it's just a thought to keep in mind. Maybe spending the extra isn't so bad if you are only doing it a couple times.
yeah i was going to be changing it, drive truck about 500 miles then change it again to try and get all the oil out of trans. I was thinking of running the tractor fluid for the 500 mi since it will be getting flushed out anyhow, but the fact it is supposedly recomended for the allisons had me wondering if it would be fine to run all the time.

350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla,

You want to use Dexron. It has tranny additives. Hydraulic tractor fluid usually does not have Tranny additives. Dexron is pretty cheap and easy to find.[/QUOTE]

so does the traveller tractor fluid, it is designed for autos and has the additives, just like I stated the first time it is designed for auto transmissions and meets allison specs.

gem1410

Instead of changing the 10w oil could you add the additive pack that dexron has--If the base of dexron is 10w oil seems like your 90% there

Last edited:

Carlo

I thought about it but I could swear my trans is full of 15-40 not 10w.

I hope not. You live in a colder climate, no? Heavy oil will not let the oil flow through the valve body and trans discs. If you lived in Kuwait it might not be so bad but Dex3 is Dex3. Its made for allison's.

joesco

Just got my M931 and drove it yesterday for the first time. It shifts and runs great. Looking under the hood for the first time, I found a spin-on filter which appears to plumbed into the radiator coolant lines??? Do these Allison transmissions have both an internal filter and external spin-on filter? Or is this filter a coolant filter? See the picture attached. Also reading through the TM (2320-272-10), I am not finding much info on the Allison transmission. What model Allison is in the M931, behind the Cummings 250 in these trucks? Thanks!

Attachments

Rkrug

Just got my M931 and drove it yesterday for the first time. It shifts and runs great. Looking under the hood for the first time, I found a spin-on filter which appears to plumbed into the radiator coolant lines??? Do these Allison transmissions have both an internal filter and external spin-on filter? Or is this filter a coolant filter? See the picture attached. Also reading through the TM (2320-272-10), I am not finding much info on the Allison transmission. What model Allison is in the M931, behind the Cummings 250 in these trucks? Thanks!
That is one of the transmission filters, there is also a suction filter, and a governor filter.