• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 could be locked up?

OkieM1008morrison

Got a 5 ton from ft.Riley delivered today, great looking truck. put new batteries in the truck, lights and gauges move. starter engages the flywheel but it doesn't budge a bit. motor has a rebuild tag, October of 2000 but it doesent say where. the tag is located below the water jacket on the drivers side. I put a big breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt and a cheater pipe, but all it does is scew the bolt in clockwise. I don't want to break the bolt off of the crankshaft pulley, how much force should it take to budge the motor? the motor oil is clean and does not have any coolant in it, the coolant overflow tank is full and green.

JohnnyBM931A2

Hydrolocked because of fuel that leaked into a cylinder? I seem to remember people saying that could happen due to leaky injectors. No matter what it is (hopefully something simple) it really sucks that you have to deal with this right after getting the truck :( What did the auction listing say? If they listed it improperly, isn't there a chance that you could get your money back?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's hydro locked it wont budge at all, you'll break something before it gives. I too picked up a truck there with the same issue, I pulled the pan to look at the bottom end and everything was nice and clean. 04' rebuild and 08' overhaul, so I'm going to pull the injectors and pry her over. The starter was pulled and tested good so I'm betting it's hydro locked and so is yours (assuming only what is known in this post).

OkieM1008morrison

I'm hoping it is something simple, fingers crossed. truck said could not be started in the comments when I bought it. I will keep the truck regardless. im just hoping this isn't a new boat anchor motor

sd39u

Man...this sounds familiar. Check out some of my posts from earlier this year

I'd suggest pulling the injectors first. Remove the oil pan second and check for chunks of metal in the pan. If that doesn't work, pull the heads. If your motor is seized, get ahold of the guy in Salina, KS to get a takeout motor. In frame rebuild is big $$$.

Good luck, keep us posted.

74M35A2

A 15 year old engine should be able to turn over just by a socket on the alternator nut via the belts. People here do it all the time, and even with the 855.

A hydro locked engine should rotate one way but not the other when locked up. As a simpler check, you could crank down a rocker arm on each cylinder to open valves and release any pressure and try again. May be easier than pulling injectors. There is also a small chance the starter is mis-engaged, and wedged into the flywheel teeth. Tighten 6 rocker arms, pull the starter, try again. If still locked, engine may be locked. While the starter is out, hit it with power and make sure it extends and rotates as it should. Super small chance it is extending, but not rotating, but you should be able to bar it over still if so....