• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 Door latch issue......

Jayco36REQS

It looks like my drivers door latch barrel is rounding out...?? :-? When I try to open the drivers door from the outside, it starts to move the latch then it clicks and I can feel the latch release and it jams the assembly. Anyone had this issue before?? Is there a fix, or do I need to buy a new assembly? Also, anyone know where to get a door latch assembly at a reasonable price? Or anyone around Dayton have a hulk they are parting out I can scavage the latches from?

wsucougarx

I thought the same thing was happening to my 923. I pulled the assy out of the door and found the channel for the two opening mechanisms had widened through time. So they were no longer coming into contact with each other, thus not opening the door. Quick use of a hammer and chisel narrowed the channel and it works like new again. This may not be your scenario, but I'd pull it anyways to see what you've got. After you fix it, I'd coat the contact point with grease. You'll be amazed how much easier the door will open.

Jayco36REQS

Hey wsucougarx..... Thanks for the suggestion! What is the trick to get the assembly out of the door? Do I need to remove the window first? I can't see up in the door nor get my arm up there to see what is keeping it from falling to the bottom of the door? Thanks!

wsucougarx

Just remove the series of mounting screws and just jiggle the assy out. No need to remove the window but having it rolled all the way up helps. It takes a little manipulating to get that assy out.

I had the same problem about a month ago. I could unlatch it from the inside but not from the out side. What I did was take the assembly out and then take the part that holds the rotating thingy and take it off so I could get to the mechanism Then I did a small tack weld on the part where the outside door handle goes in to make it wider. Then I also used a hammer to bend everything back and it worked great. I thought it would last longer if I also made the thing wider rather than just bending it back. My assembly was also kind of rusty so I soaked it in CLR to get the rust off. Also having the mechanism lubricated with vaseline or some sort will make it work alot better. Hope this kind of helped.

Jayco36REQS

Ok.. I got the latch assembly out and found out it was bent like someone had tried to pry the door open. I always wondered why the drivers door has a lot of play in it when it was shut?!? Duh. So basically what was happening was, with the latch plunger bent it humped the latch slide rails so much that the door latch tumbler was slipping under the latch pry tab. I took the entire assembly apart.. straightened all the components on the bench, and while it was out I filed down all the burrs on the rotating and sliding parts, put a thin layer of red marine grease on everything, reassembled it all, and whaalaaa.. a smooth working door latch!! :naner: Now that I see how it all works, I might just go ahead and remove the passenger door assembly and do the same thing. The door handle works 100% better now and the door actually shuts tighter as well. Thanks for all the info and talking me into taking it apart! :beer:

BillMc

I'm having the same problem, can't open from the outside. I was researching trying to find the answer and found this thread. How do I get to the assembly to get it out?

All you have to do is take the handles off (inside and outside). Then open the access panel on the door and you should be able to feel the mechanism up in the door. Take the screws out (3) right by the inside handle. Then take the screw out to towards the latch. Lastly take out the 2 screws directly above and below the latch. The mechanism should be loose now and you have to work it down the door. Keep the window up for better access. If you have bigger arms it may be a little more difficult. Hope this helps!

zguinness

The mechanism should be loose now and you have to work it down the door. Keep the window up for better access. If you have bigger arms it may be a little more difficult. Hope this helps!
I didn't have much time yesterday but I got all the screws out and tried to get my arm inside the door one time before I had to leave. I don't think my forearm is going to make it. I'm guessing I'll need to find a scrawny friend to help me out?

HASSON1911

My latch actually broke off a week ago or so, I ordered a new one and I got the old one out and new one in, in about 15 min. Not a hard job just tricky trying to get it out(likes to get caught on every little lip inside the door!) And a guy with scrawny arms is going to be your best friend on this project! Good luck!

SLOrazorsedge

A little unrelated, I have 2 M939s and the door handles on one is a pull down to open, the other is a push up old style. Is there a way to reverse it to the newer pull down style or does it require changing the handle operating system?