• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 Front Axle Bearing/Seal Question

Iron Horse

I'm working on an M923 A1 which is leaking gear oil (substantially) from the right side of the steer axle. Assuming that it was the axle seal, I ordered one in as well as a new spindle seal. Once torn apart, I had a heck of a time removing the old axle seal, as there was an axle washer jammed up in the axle tube orifice ( photo attached ). I ended up having to use a slide hammer to remove it. I did feel around the seal prior to beating on it and the washer, hoping to find an obvious defect in the seal, I didn't. The seal felt to me like it was in great shape. According to the TM as I am seeing it, there is only one axle washer per side and it is supposed to be on the outside of the u-joint (hub/wheel end), not the inside. Besides being backwards, there were TWO axle washers on this particular axle instead of one; one inside (previously stuck in axle tube) and one outside. It is certainly possible that at some point in the past, someone re-assembled it and added an extra axle washer just for good measure - which leads me to my problem/question. The inner bearing has a large dark hot spot on it that corresponds with a large dark hot spot on the spindle (photos attached). The bearing itself feels fine movement wise, although I have not yet completely degreased it and spun it fast to confirm. Also, the bearing fits very nicely onto the spindle as well. Not sloppy at all, it's a nice tight fit. Whether to replace the bearing or not is not really my problem/question so much as trying to confirm the cause of this and make sure I've corrected whatever it is. My theory is that the inner axle washer (that is not supposed to be there) has not allowed the axle yoke to properly seat against the axle seal (which caused the leak to begin with). Once the hub plate was bolted down tight, it was trying to push the axle in further but couldn't because of the extra washer, causing the inner bearing to bind against the spindle. Any opinions/thoughts on this would be much appreciated. As I mentioned, it's not that i'm concerned about replacing the bearing (I will), I just want to make sure that I'm certain that I've corrected what caused the old bearing to fail (get hot, not spin, etc.). I suppose i'm going to have to tear down the left side next to see if it is missing an axle washer.... :/ Thanks in advance for any input.

Iron Horse

IMG_0077.jpgIMG_0075.jpgIMG_0071.jpgIMG_0070.jpgIMG_0066.jpg

Sorry everyone, apparently I didn't hit the right button first time around to attach the photos. The third photo shows the extra axle washer stuck in the axle tube directly in front of the seal, and the 4th shows the washer removed. You can see the dark "hot spots" on both the spindle and the inside of the bearing.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could not see to well in your pics. There is a washer that goes over the inter axle seal, sometime it is copper looking. That is what the back side of the axle flange rides on.

Attachments

acme66

I have some tear-down vids over on NelsonStudios youtube that show the order of mine. Washer in front of the seal, slide hammer to get both out wrecking seal in process. I can also attest to seeing strange random 'hot spots' on several spindles. They looked *exactly* like yours do. I think it might be related to how the part was sitting during heat treating. Not saying nothing is wrong with your application just that there might be another cause for heat colors. Unless you see heat marks on bearings, heck maybe even if you do but they are old/not too bad I think you are fine. If you see heat marks on the races or rollers I would replace the set.

Ken

acesneights1

I have some tear-down vids over on NelsonStudios youtube that show the order of mine. Washer in front of the seal, slide hammer to get both out wrecking seal in process. I can also attest to seeing strange random 'hot spots' on several spindles. They looked *exactly* like yours do. I think it might be related to how the part was sitting during heat treating. Not saying nothing is wrong with your application just that there might be another cause for heat colors. Unless you see heat marks on bearings, heck maybe even if you do but they are old/not too bad I think you are fine. If you see heat marks on the races or rollers I would replace the set.

Ken
Link to videos ? I need to replace my seals as well.