• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 front axle

jltdvm

I need some help. My m923A1 right side of front axle started to make a grinding noise. The right side of front axle also started to leak gear oil. I drained the oil and noticed very fine metal shavings.
So, I noticed when I put the truck in gear the drive shaft does not rotate, however, when I lock the transfer case it locks up. I feel I have a broken front axle on the right side? Does anyone near Versailles Ky make house calls or can recommend someone to get this fixed. I am mechanically able, but not sure I have the proper tools and want to make sure I don't screw something up or have a wheel fall off in a parade
thanks for any help.
Johnny
Versailles, Kentucky

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Someone on here may have an axle. Best to get it apart and get what you need at one time and not guess on whats bad in there. Redbarn customs in Michigan has axle shafts.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a complete front axle in OKC. I'm handing stuff off with gimpyrobb in OH sometime in the next month so delivery may be an option.

BTW, I grew up in Frankfort.... PM sent with contact info.

Arny

I have actually an oil leak at the steering knuckle boot. Is it that this boot is a sealing for the oil inside the axle or is it just protecting the axle shaft from dirt and water?
I'm afraid that I have to do all the steps in the video to change the inner oil seal... :-(

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have actually an oil leak at the steering knuckle boot. Is it that this boot is a sealing for the oil inside the axle or is it just protecting the axle shaft from dirt and water?
I'm afraid that I have to do all the steps in the video to change the inner oil seal... :-(
Sound like a inner seal. But you do not have to do all the steps in the video to get to the inner seal.

Arny

Ok then I will have to disassemble brake drum & hub and drive shaft to get to the seal.
The knuckle boot looks quite new actually. Maybe someone changed it to get rid of the oil leak...

Could anyone tell me what wrench size I need for the bearing locknut and bearing adjusting nut?

Concerning the seal: I read different posts about this - did anyone try the SKF 21234 or 21245? They are a bit smaller concerning the width than the original ones. I'm not quite sure if that works out since for my understanding it works also as a limit stop for the surrounding parts.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok then I will have to disassemble brake drum & hub and drive shaft to get to the seal.
The knuckle boot looks quite new actually. Maybe someone changed it to get rid of the oil leak...

Could anyone tell me what wrench size I need for the bearing locknut and bearing adjusting nut?

Concerning the seal: I read different posts about this - did anyone try the SKF 21234 or 21245? They are a bit smaller concerning the width than the original ones. I'm not quite sure if that works out since for my understanding it works also as a limit stop for the surrounding parts.
4-3/8" for the outer and 4-7/8" for the inner. Both are 8 point.

In the video SIMP5782 is using NAPA Multi-Purpose wheel bearing and chassis grease blue and white tub or tube it's good for your wheel bearings also . Sorry to reply on a question that was not for me . I like using this grease it's always the same color and texture if gear oil gets to the wheel bearing and washes the grease off I just repack the bearing with out having to completely clean the bearing using only this grease on all trucks and trailers makes things better then having to clean unknown grease out of a bearing that was put in some time in the past .

Arny

Right now I am at the point where I should change the inner oil seal - the part which is left out in the video :)
But I have big problems to disassemble it. It just won't come out...
Did anyone ever did this? Is there a trick to manage that?