• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 manual transmission conversion? Anyone done it??

Doomsday

So with the outrageous price tag on the rebuild of my MT645CR that was internally destroyed from heat and previous owner abuse, I am interested in researching a manual transmission conversion. Has anyone done it? If so, what transmission did you use and wht price range did you spend to do it?? How about driveline length and such?

Truck is an '84 M923A1.

Thanks guys

Joe

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
With a sufficient amount of time and money you can do just about anything. My guess is that it could be done using a hydraulic clutch and a Fuller 9 speed but unless you have the fab skills and a very good shop it would be more cost effective to replace the Allison. One of the reasons I bought the M927 is a knee that suffers from 40 odd years of clutching many different trucks.

quickfarms

By the time you add up the cost of a transmission, bell housing, clutch, clutch linkage, drive shaft you will probably be at or above the cost of a rebuilt transmission. This does not include the time and material, or cost, to put this together.

chadande

With the current prices of M939 series trucks I'd say buy an ugly runner, keep the trans and part / scrap the rest. Done right the trans would be free.

ichudov

With a sufficient amount of time and money you can do just about anything. My guess is that it could be done using a hydraulic clutch and a Fuller 9 speed but unless you have the fab skills and a very good shop it would be more cost effective to replace the Allison. One of the reasons I bought the M927 is a knee that suffers from 40 odd years of clutching many different trucks.
Wreckerman, since I also own a M927, may I ask you, are you using yours commercially? If so, what for and how do you find it to be, is it a useful comm. truck? thanks