• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A1 with Hyd PTO - no winch

randygk

Got my M923A1 from GL and it has the PTO controls in the cab, pump components, and hyd tank. Probably had a winch at one time, would there have been anything else other than a winch installed ? I have no desire for a winch, so should I just leave the stuff or remove it?
Thanks
Randy

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
You can always remove it and sell it.I just removed hyds, from 2 trucks.Its a major job and a major pain in the a$$.

Rifleman

Randy, yours was not the only one that came out of French Camp that had the Hyd. controls but no winch. When i looked over all the trucks that were up for auction there must have been 4 or 5 trucks just like yours with the controls and hardware but no winch. Have you done the VIN check yet, if you do you will be able to tell if your truck was a USMC truck with lockers or not. Like jcappeljr said, if you don't want a winch you can always remove the tank,controls and PTO and sell them to fund other items you do want.

randygk

Have posted for Mr. Carnac, but no answer yet as I'm sure he's one busy guy (and greatly appreciated). I'm leaning towards leaving it as is, at least for now. The controls add a more industrial and important look to the cab.

randygk

Spoke too soon, Carnac has come through, I have my info. Truck from 372D QUARTERMASTER BN HHD, Kirtland NM. Maybe someone can clue me in as to the branch of service. Also truck is 1995, which makes the state of CA happy, but not me. Costs for registration have gone from $81.00 a year to over $900. And add some insp and pollution stuff just to make it interesting. Oh well.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am pretty sure if you read post # 1 of the vin info thread carnac states he can only get information on U S Army vehicles.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks are kind of anomalous. It is not really a 1995, since they only made the A1s until 1987. 1995 is probably when it came through a rebuild from the USMC. I am actually surprised it was in CARNAC's database at all, but it's probably because it was re-purposed to the Army and that is how they entered it into the system.

You can be sure that the VIN on the data plate isn't what was stamped on the frame from AM General either. Those last 6 digits were the USMC registration number. There were only 5 used on the production trucks. Based on that registration number, that truck is a 1984. A large majority of USMC M923 trucks were 1984s.

You should clean the frame off above the drivers side front axle to find the real VIN.

Spoke too soon, Carnac has come through, I have my info. Truck from 372D QUARTERMASTER BN HHD, Kirtland NM. Maybe someone can clue me in as to the branch of service. Also truck is 1995, which makes the state of CA happy, but not me. Costs for registration have gone from $81.00 a year to over $900. And add some insp and pollution stuff just to make it interesting. Oh well.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is not the VIN. You can't see it unless you clean the paint off just behind those numbers. It is very faint and will be C523-0XXXX (probably between 5500 and 6200 in your case).

randygk

Getting Closer

Thanks for your help. I've looked at some trucks up for auction and all the M923A1's have 5 digits after the C523, except one that has 6 digits. They all state "year unknown". The engine is dated MFG 8-83, so 1984 sounds close. You can see where I've cleaned the paint, should I just do the whole area?
Thanks again
RandyIMG_0616 - Copy.JPG

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I should have been a little more specific. To the right of that bolt sticking out, below the hole in the top of the frame, right above the axle. That's the area they stamped them.

Attachments

randygk

I must have been having a long senior moment. Having done 6 deuces I should have remembered what the numbers looked like. I found the numbers, they are horizontal and just to the right of the two vertical numbers. They are so light as to make the early Egyptians proud. I'm down to bare metal and am not sure I will be able to tell what numbers they are, but after all the lacquer thinner I breathed I forgot what I was looking for. Anyone have any ideas for trying to clarify the numbers, acid etch, dye penetrant? I can kind of make out the C523, but after that it's pretty rough.
Thanks for your help
Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks