• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 8.3 Injection Pump Troubleshooting

Flatlander

So I won a truck and am awaiting my EUC to clear. I spoke with the site rep and he told me that he cranks the truck, fuel gets to the injection pump, but goes no further. His opinion is that there is a shear pin on the gear that drives the pin that needs replacement. Is this an issue any of you have seen? If it shears, is the IP likely to need replacement?

He said there is a cover that can be removed to visualize the pin. I'm thinking I can do that if needed, and probably can replace the pump if needed. Haven't done it before, but after reading the TM it dosn't look too difficult. I'm a little foggy on the timing procedure, is that difficult?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Have one in NC that actually broke the timing gear on the crankshaft. No way to know until you open it up. Could be a bad pump. timing gear or anything or he may simply not have a clue what hes doing as far as priming it. These are all possible.

Flatlander

I have just about decided that I should have the truck delivered to a local mechanic rather than to my house. While I know I could remove the front cover and repair a shear key, or even replace the IP, anything more involved would probably be too much for my experience level with these engines. So, I'll shop around and find a reputable place here in Lubbock to work on it. If anyone is aware of a good shop, let me know!

Flatlander

Have one in NC that actually broke the timing gear on the crankshaft. No way to know until you open it up. Could be a bad pump. timing gear or anything or he may simply not have a clue what hes doing as far as priming it. These are all possible.
What can cause a timing gear to break like that?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What can cause a timing gear to break like that?
This one the cam broke and bent some valves. It spun over and sounded normal as well.

Or it just broke. Things do break for unknown reasons.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

snowtrac nome

the gear could have came loose and slipped time or a mechanic put one on wrong and didn't time it right I have seen that before also chech shut d0own solenoid and emergency shut off make shure they are in the proper position mw pumps don't have shear pins or key ways the gear must be torqued to 130 ft lbs or they will slip

snowtrac nome

through out my years in service we had a lot of problems with 8.3's getting air in the system you might try a good bleeding if that fixes it the fun starts looking for the air leak.

Flatlander

through out my years in service we had a lot of problems with 8.3's getting air in the system you might try a good bleeding if that fixes it the fun starts looking for the air leak.
I'm hoping this is the problem! I'm thinking tracking down and fixing an air leak would be a lot less $$$ than replacing internals...

The site rep told me he was able to get fuel to the IP, but that nothing was getting pumped through. Do you think that would be a pump issue rather than an air in the fuel line issue? I didn't ask him how he knew there was fuel getting to the pump. He's a nice guy and I can call him back to ask him questions if you think there are any that could help with diagnosis.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks