• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 air leak at air tank pressure protection valve

Ford Mechanic

Hey guys, I know this info is in the parts TM, but I don't have a computer at home at the moment, just my phone. Anyway it's been extremely cold here the last week, 8* F! One night and barely got above freezing one day. I started my truck tonight and went to move another off the driveway, I started hearing it pop off with a weird sound and looked and the air pressures were pegging the guages! So I assume the governer is stuck and if I recall correctly it's part of the dryer assembly. I cracked one of the tank drains to get the pressures down so I could move it. After I shut it down I found a air leak at one of the air tanks. I took a pic of it if ya'll could tell me what it is. And if it's one of those that will self correct with higher temps?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your problem sounds like many others with a frozen pressure protection valve.

I would wait for warm weather and look it over.

When the ppv is frozen, the pressure relief(safety) blows off.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the pressure protection valve. Some other members have posted threads on them icing up and sticking due to moisture in cold weather. I don't recall the exact thread but search it out.

Ford Mechanic

Ahh, so that's the ppv. It's supposed to jump to 50*F tomarrow so it should thaw out. This weather is uncharacteristically cold for us. 25* is normally the coldest for the winter here, this week we've gotten a inch of ice! I've been chasing air leaks and stuck valves on most of the trucks at work.

She did fire off rather quickly for a 2 week layup. I need her tomarrow at the auction to pull dumb people out. Here winter is known as the season of mud. Much fun. .....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would you like it changed to?

Ford Mechanic

Just to follow up, the ambient temps climbed to 55* F today! Yeaaaaa, all the snow's gone! My over pressure issue and air leak at the pressure protection valve have both resolved themselfs without any action.

Ford Mechanic

New air dryer is on the short list, draining the air tanks I do all the time but never get any water out. I reckon it's about the moisture in the air though.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The air dryer has a coalescing filter element that works to dry the air then purge it out the bottom valve. The filter needs to be replaced yearly.