• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Alternator Fried

todds112

I took a little drive yesterday as I was backing into the drive I smelled a strange smell and noticed a small wisp of smoke come from under the hood. It quickly dissipated. I was inspecting everything to find out what might have caused it and discovered that the connections to the alternator where completely fried.20151017_123110.jpg20151017_123031.jpg

All the other wiring looks good. The batteries and their connectors are good. What could have caused this? I'm assuming the alternator can't be repaired. Anyone have pics of what the connectors on the wiring used to look like? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

74M35A2

What is referred to as the Delco conversion are people selling/buying/using Chinese clones of Delco alternators. Some of them recently have arrived not functioning, over-voltage, and pulley problems. Others have worked, but only very shortly. Also one of the distributors, Spider Marine, recently has a poor reputation here for poor customer service, shoddy product, and downright avoidance of answering the phone. These units will have no markings on them indicating they are Delco product. If you are buying a new alternator for under $200, it is likely Chinese. A member on this board is selling them, but does have a positive reputation, warranty, and is located in MI. I forgot his handle. Some members have had good success with these units, but not all.

Considering above, I'd probably recommend a good used replacement original. I saw one listed for $150 just yesterday in our classifieds. Another path would be to search eBay or rebuild shops for a genuine Delco 24V unit. They are relatively easy to find, as a lot of off road equipment is 24V. A Japanese unit will also have high quality, such as Denso or Mitsibishi.

Monkeyboyarmy

Wow. Never seen one burnt up that bad. I had one that shorted against the little tin cover and then fried the regulator. It still might be good for parts. I would be interested in it if your giving to pitch it.

todds112

Wow. Never seen one burnt up that bad. I had one that shorted against the little tin cover and then fried the regulator. It still might be good for parts. I would be interested in it if your giving to pitch it.
Everything in it was pretty fried, I already tossed it as it was stinking up the garage really bad! I'm probably really lucky the whole truck didn't go up.

There's an alternator shop over in Idaho Falls, they do a lot of big rig and farm equipment stuff. I'm gonna see what they have for rebuilt/reman genuine Delco. Still weighing options.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks