• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 alternator or generator ???????

bogshotrods

Here's a dumb question for the masses from a newbe, I recently purchased an M923A2 I can't tell what year it is as the placard on the dash in the year column it's scratched and unreadable, the ID plate on the Cummins shows January of '09, truck has 1200 miles and 40 hours on the hour meter. Does this thing have a generator or alternator, it looks like and old school generator and the placard on it says "Generator System DC" but looking in all of the TM's all I see is Alternator, inspected date on the unit is July of '08. I found 2 burnt and shorted wires that go into a little box at the back of the alternator/generator, and also inside the case by the cooling fan so it either has to be replaced or repaired, but before I go hunting I would like to know which 1 it is being an alternator or generator, and where's the best place to start looking for a replacement. There's a TYPE # on the alternator/generator of AMA9104UT

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On most of the Deuces its a Generator, on the 939 series trucks I have been led to understand that they are all Alternators.
KK

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, there are probably more alternators on 2.5 tons. They retrofitted them.

bogshotrods

Thanks guys, I did some looking around and used the "type number" that's on the case and found they ARE alternators and found some on ebay, but I'm going to see if I can't repair this 1. Not sure what the small cover box on the back end of it is , maybe voltage regulator ? But that's what is fried

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI check the out put if it stays the same when at hi or low idle its a Generator if it changes its a alternator just like on your cars.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is definitely an alternator.

Back cover and gizmo that is fried is your voltage regulator. If you see burnt/discolored wires on the inside by the fan it sounds like your windings are also shot. If so, best to replace complete unit.

Many folks here are parting trucks. Check the classifieds.

Southern Automotive is an OE source for the alt & regulator (they also have all the parts individually) and sells online and on ebay as seller cage-1y875

http://southernautomotive.com/

bogshotrods

It is definitely an alternator.

Back cover and gizmo that is fried is your voltage regulator. If you see burnt/discolored wires on the inside by the fan it sounds like your windings are also shot. If so, best to replace complete unit.

Many folks here are parting trucks. Check the classifieds.

Southern Automotive is an OE source for the alt & regulator (they also have all the parts individually) and sells online and on ebay as seller cage-1y875

http://southernautomotive.com/
Thanks guys, pretty sure it fried the voltage regulator, had a loose wire when I tried to do a voltage test on a multi meter, and it sparked, I'm going to take it apart tomorrow and see how bad it is and hope it's not internal. Found 1 just like it on the link you provided, and found a couple new ones on ebay but pricey, there's a guy here on the mountain top that works on the Marine base in Barstow that works on these things so I'm going to pick his brain Monday

bogshotrods

Well after looking around and poking my nose around the internet I found a company that reman's the 24 volt alternators and they are about 1/2 or 1/3 the price I've seen em on ebay . This is their companies main product and they had mine on the shelf and I had it from Florida to California in 4 days. When I noticed the inspection tag on the new 1 it had the same initials as the fried 1. I think I read in the rules for SS that I'm not supposed to post prices but I think I read I can post a link, so here's a link to the company
http://cmearma.blogspot.com/2013/08/60-amp-alternator.html if your in need of a remanufactured alternator they have em and the best prices anywhere, of if you want to know what I paid for it send me an email at bogshotrods@charter.net

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can post the cost, in this thread.

bogshotrods

Oh ok on the posting costs, I'm a newbee and don't want to step out of the boundries, well at least not yet :) The cost was $225.00 plus a 50 buck core charge, but they will sell it outright at 275.00 plus shipping. Me I kept the core as the shipping was 46.10 so I would only have received 3.90 back and it would cost more than that to take the fried 1 to the UPS store. I might take it to a shop down the hill in Victorville Ca. and see if they want to touch the old 1( it's burnt pretty bad), as Mark from the http://www.100dollarman.com/more.html said he's had the 24 volt rebuilt locally . What my thoughts are as to what happened is either some rodents got under the hood and chewed on the 24 volt hot wire, or the hot wire and pig tail just bounced around and chaffed under the little cover and shorted out, so now all of the wires are zipped tied so they don't move