• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 arriving Dec 23rd.

maxtor

Well;

I guess I get an early Christmas present. The hauler just called and will deliver our truck on the 23rd of Dec. I have a dumb question.,,, How do you start the truck?
It might help to know this, to drive it off the trailer. :mrgreen:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did they give the shipper the keys for it. I hope so or it will be hard to find a replacement.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your new truck, nice Christmas present. Please read the complete operators manual. Starting the truck does not involve a key. But the "key" to being a safe operator is knowing the trucks systems and operational limits. It may have an automatic transmission, but it far from operating a automobile.
Have fun.
JC

plumkrazy

Congrats--welcome to the OD addiction. Maybe you can resist the disease better than most of the old _arts on this site(me included). But kidding aside, read, read, and read the TM's. Not trying to be a butt about it, but you don't want the guilt that would come with running someone over in your 20,000 something pound truck. These are serious machines and can get away from you in a heart beat. There is a specific procedure for starting and yes even a procedure to turn off your truck. Failure to follow these can and usually will results in component failures. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, 'cause I'm the biggest kid I know, but I write this to alert you that you now have a "big boy toy". Regards

2mtrucks

Make sure you know how to shut it off too...there should be a decal on the dash and it's certainly in the manuals. I just replaced a PCB box due to someone not following the shutdown procedure. I would tell you how but I have an A1 so I am not sure its the same. I did not read the TMs before I bought a truck...I assumed I knew a lot having owned several other MVs and about 40 diesel pickups. I was quite mistaken...this is a whole different animal that has more in common with owning a class 8 commercial truck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ask what you don't understand or are unsure of, after reading the -10TM.

randygk

As with capitalization, punctuation is also appreciated. The difference between the headline "Fear of Giant Mantis Mounting" or Fear of Giant Mantis, Mounting" From MST3K

Nationwide 63s

Be sure to take about an hour to go through the -10 manual. Go over the operations under normal conditions and you will be well informed. You'd be surprised how many operators never used the manual when the truck was in Uncle Sam's fleet! It will save you some time and trouble. CONGRATS!

maxtor

Thanks Randy, but I am near Redding, which is about 152 miles north of Sacramento.
I appreciate any and all suggestions. Nine more days. I just talked to the hauler, and the date is confirmed to arrive on Monday the 23rd. Our local Diesel tuners says that they make the 8.3 Cummins engine put out over 300 hp with adjusting the stock fuel pump, and they say it will get better mpg. Not sure how they can add hp "more fuel" and still get better mpg.
They say they will need to remove the fuel pump and rebuild it, for about $200. Does this make sense?

FullSpecial

$200 to pull the pump, put it on the bench, adjust it and reinstall is dirt cheap. Won't
tell you what I paid. Stock they deliver 150 ml, mine was turned up to 180ml.
If you do the cross multiplication that's 288hp. Mind you, I know you will not get
an exact figure but it sure does drive better. I wouldn't go much higher as one
would not want to destroy their transmission.

maxtor

I imagine that because of the weight of the truck, the transmission when adding more power is under more stress.
Cummins engines with Allison transmissions handle over 400 hp easily in a light Dodge pickup.
Probably a different story with a 20,000 pound M923a2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks