• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 camper project

Rickmo

Hello gentlemen and ladies! I am seriously considering building a camper for the M913a2. I am a custom camper builder and would like to know if there would be a market for such a beast. I am thinking that the camper would sleep 4 and include the amenities of a high end travel trailer. Cost would be about 30,000 and include the truck. What are your thoughts? Would it be a marketable item?

quickfarms

I think the market would be bigger than you think. Just not the people here. If the camper is designed for off-road use there is a market. The markets would be hunting, outdoors and the overland crowd.

Please post some more information about your ideas.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

We show at an event that has $500.000 rigs being shown.
Saw an M35A3 camper that was being offered for $75.000 at the same event :cookoo:

Last edited:

zout

Wow - take a 109 box and put it on a 923 chassis and make an RV expeditionary unit out of it - especially if you had double frig's in it - custom toilet and tub/shower combo - holding tanks - Micro wave - on demand hot water heater - Plazma screen tv - 120 gallon fresh water holding tank - inverter charger - generator -

What a great Idea !

Rickmo

It could slide in and out similar to a pickup camper or be permanent. The slide out option would not have walk thru access to the cab but would have a window. My thoughts are to build it as a slide in and out model. Full size bathroom with shower would be a must as would a fully functional kitchenette. Think pickup camper but bigger. Holding tanks for both black and potable water would be standard as would both AC and DC electrical systems. Fit and finish would be top notch.

Gunzy

You may be able to offer a custom slide in unit for those already owning M923/925 and M927/928. Do you have any artist concepts to show features/sizes?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello gentlemen and ladies! I am seriously considering building a camper for the M913a2. I am a custom camper builder and would like to know if there would be a market for such a beast. I am thinking that the camper would sleep 4 and include the amenities of a high end travel trailer. Cost would be about 30,000 and include the truck. What are your thoughts? Would it be a marketable item?
So will these trucks be gone through after auction ? Many trucks are sold on GL as rebuilt trucks that actually don't get much more than a paint job and a tag saying they were rebuilt.

Rickmo

So will these trucks be gone through after auction ? Many trucks are sold on GL as rebuilt trucks that actually don't get much more than a paint job and a tag saying they were rebuilt.
I will fix any known issues and do a fluids change and brake inspection/replace as needed.

Rickmo

I have also considered spending more on the truck and purchase one from someone who is trustworthy and has already taken care of the issues that can come with and auction truck. On the auction side GL has several listed in Sparta WI that are listed as running and operable. That is doable for me but I am nervous about buying one at auction without being able to drive out and do an ispection. Having a nice truck is paramount. A great camper on a crappy truck isn't much good.

Julian

Sounds like a good idea, but an expensive one. I would think one huge challenge would be building something that would not be shaken to pieces from the vibration of riding on the stiff suspension of an unloaded 5-ton. Probably would not be able to keep fresh eggs in the 'frig!

zout

Go to the search Google - type in M909 and plenty of examples of a 923 - w/109 box on the back. There is more distortion with something mounted to the back than what you realize - even with a metal box it twists.

PB posted up some pics from last months MV Poll of the RV interior.

Dinger has his for sale which is identical to this with roughly $40k in it and no one wants to spend that kind of dough. I doubt it would sell at 12k.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it is a good idea since you already know what you are doing. There are those big offroad rv's that are on a Mann chassis and such. There are folks out there with money that may want something different.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/shows/14-extreme-campers-built-for-off-roading#slide-1
this first one looks like it is on a international or sterling chassis.
There we are again, #7 :)
The first one is on an Freightliner, it's made by Global Expeditions who is doing loads of custom boxes for people.

quickfarms

I contacted both ATC and Four Wheel about making a custom flat bed pop up camper for me. Four Wheel told me no custom units and ATC lost interest in it. One advantage of using a platform larger than a pickup is that you can build it strong enough to survive and the extra weight helps make the suspension work.

My latest idea is to build one based on a 20 foot half high open top container.

If you keep the fridge forward of the trunion the eggs survive just fine.

red

I like the idea. Might want to keep in mind the overall height for offroad and shipping applications for those that want to take the vehicle to other continents on trips.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks