• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Columbus OH recovery.

Plane Fast

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Well I'm a glutton for punishment!! This is my first GP military purchase. Went very well.(so far day 1)
Vernon was great. He even called me two days before my pick-up, to let me know that the truck was still in good order. (Started right up)
He meet me at the gate, and helped with the check in. (As you know each base has different requirements) The truck was running and warmed up.
I did have one issue. The GP survey said nothing about the foot of snow in the 14' bed!:mrgreen: This Florida boy does not carry a show shovel!!!
It was all good because my next stop was to Lockbourne and Groveport and the nice lady let me borrow hers.
Oh did I mention, that I had just drove 14hrs there with my wife and 4 kids!:cookoo:
They wanted to see snow. I know, I know we are tourist this time.

Had big plans to bring back other members goods. I figured I would have plenty of room. Wellllllll..... Not so. Sorry Chris! I was going to leave some of my stuff with Chris and move some of the other parts. But I did not finish loading until 3:00. Manage to cut open my finger with a metal strap. Oh ya.. and fall off one of the 14:00r20 tires!! That took the fire out of me. I decided to just drive south for an hour and call it a night.
I guess I will see what tomorrow will bring.

M923A2 squaks so far.
1. CTIS not working right.(big surprise)
2. Shift was slow. (Trans temp was on the cold side)
3. One bed bow broke. (Tarp is frozen stiff )
4. Clunk when turning. ( I have not check the front axle in and out yet)

Attachments

Andrmorr

4. Clunk when turning. ( I have not checked the front axle in and out yet)
Congrats on the successful 1st day and I'm jealous on the prep work they gave you...I've been to 3 different GL lots and they all differ greatly.
Is the CLUNK WHEN TURNING coming from the front or rear of the truck? Mine clunks in the rear when turning tight and I'm trying to determine if it's suspension shift of some kind or ???...kinda hard to get close enough to figure it out while truck is moving...

datadawg

I guess you are a glutton for punishment. Driving 14 hours with 4 kids is akin to walking through at least 5 of Dante's circle of ****. Driving in the 5 ton will be a piece of cake, assuming of course none of the junior navigators ride in the cabin.

Plane Fast

Congrats on the successful 1st day and I'm jealous on the prep work they gave you...I've been to 3 different GL lots and they all differ greatly.
Is the CLUNK WHEN TURNING coming from the front or rear of the truck? Mine clunks in the rear when turning tight and I'm trying to determine if it's suspension shift of some kind or ???...kinda hard to get close enough to figure it out while truck is moving...
Mine is from the front.

Plane Fast

I guess you are a glutton for punishment. Driving 14 hours with 4 kids is akin to walking through at least 5 of Dante's circle of ****. Driving in the 5 ton will be a piece of cake, assuming of course none of the junior navigators ride in the cabin.
Ya momma I think is eyeballing the 5 ton. I told her to read the TM first!:whistle:

Andrmorr

14hrs in a civi equals 20hrs at least in a 5ton!!! Just thought I'd ask why you didn't get a truck from the Atlanta lot?
I'm guessing you're a thrill seeking adrenaline junkie just dying to check "drive 5ton cross country" off the bucket list!

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plane Fast,

We used to make that trip to Columbus twice a year to go see my uncle when I was growing up. I can only imagine it being a little longer coming out of Florida. Hope the rest of your trip is successful.

This is usually the spring ends moving inside their pockets.

Andrmorr

This is usually the spring ends moving inside their pockets.
Thanks for the input...I was thinking it was something like that...gonna do figure 8s, get it to clunk, then spray the spring pockets with soapy water for temporary lube and see if the sound changes...if it does then sound confirmed, move onto the next anomaly!

PlaneFast- Break a leg! We're all rootin for ya! put a valve stem core in each wheel , pump your tires up to Hwy pressure, and deal with your CTIS when you get home. it may save you some grief. I wish I had done so on my recovery. I had alot of rear wheel hop and I'm thinking it might have been from the tire pressure dropping. Are you out of Patrick?

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went up Fri and picked mine up. The only issue I had that was a pain lost heater blower motor.
Be safe on the way back.

FloridaAKM

Thanks for posting the initial part of your recovery, good looking truck you got there. Don't bring any of that white stuff back with you, it might start to grow like it does up North. Keep us posted as to how thing go with the rest of your trip!

Plane Fast

Well still going! Got a late start, stayed in bed too long. Little bit of a scare this morning. Got in the truck to warm it up. So I could do the tire valve mod. The battery master was on!!!!!!! Aaaaaahhh! Well got out the jumper cables and went to one battery at a time. Fired up!
The poor CTIS was fighting valve cores! All six wheels already had them. So after an 1hr and 1/2 all tires were good to go.
Weather is bad, rain rain. Need a soldier B, boy gave up. Too cold and wet.
Stopped for dinner, all the kids are still there!:)

Attachments

dmetalmiki

That sounds like a very brave and determined outing. Good luck with the rest of your trip. Following the saga so, keep us informed.

Plane Fast

Well three states down one and half to go. Momma had to stop for a nap in Cullman AL. It's OK though, my right foot is ready for a break. If you don't know by now.... These seats suck! It's like doing the iron butt challenge on a motorcycle.
The only nice thing about the seats. I can lay flat and get some rest.

Trucks running good. Averaging about 5.5 to 6 mpg. Foot to the floor!
Hubs are warm, but could be from running 60 for three hours. (Rain may have been keeping it cool)

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forgat to wash the truck and undercarrige to rid it of the road salt. It will be worth it in the long run.

18operator

Great looking truck! I'm glad your family is enthusiastic on your new machine. And yes, make sure to give the truck a bath like SCAR59 said. The stuff they use on the roads up here sticks like glue mixed with molasses!