• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Doing 80 MPH!!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! Not only FAR exceeding the tires rated speed and the RPM operating range of the motor but also taking his and anybody around him lifes in his hands that is just INSANE! The LAST thing our hobby needs are morons like this driving heavy iron in manners as stupid as this! At speeds like this he is sure going to get TO his crash site fast!
KK

74M35A2

Not siding with him, but we don't know what the situation was. I had a heart attack come on while driving at age 39, so I drove kind of quickly to a hospital when doing so. Also had our toddler stop breathing and start turning blue while driving, same thing, I pushed the pedal through the floor to the hospital while my wife jumped in back and started to figure out what was happening.

If his truck actually reached 80, then he absolutely modified it to drive that way, it is unsafe, and it is unlikely that it was an emergency. When I used to see somebody far exceeding traffic speed, I used to quickly think "Geez, what an arrogant POS", until the above items happened to me, now I simply stay out of their way, and realize there is a 1% chance of a real situation occurring.

I'm not defending this guy. On the same token, do we have any known cases of our tires letting go at speeds over 55mph (their rated speed @ load)?

Blackmagic94

I regular drive my fleet of m932a2s at 60-63mph. I wouldn't have an issue driving 70 on empty highway if I turned the fuel and governor up. Time and a place. To see most of the people here get upset at that idea is funny.

steelandcanvas

I regular drive my fleet of m932a2s at 60-63mph. I wouldn't have an issue driving 70 on empty highway if I turned the fuel and governor up. Time and a place. To see most of the people here get upset at that idea is funny.
Funny? Just trying to protect our interests in the hobby is funny? Time and place? The track on Grudge Night.

ke5eua

I'll be honest, if my truck in Iraq could've done 80 I sure would have done it in a heartbeat.

If I saw a mv passing me doing 80 I'd catch up and try to have a chat with him to see what he has done.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be honest, if my truck in Iraq could've done 80 I sure would have done it in a heartbeat.

If I saw a mv passing me doing 80 I'd catch up and try to have a chat with him to see what he has done.
Iraq is one thing, civilian roads and the other drivers that share them, that's something completely different. Like others have said, having the ability to do something and doing so are NOT the same thing. Safety should always come first. If someone doesn't care about their own personal well being, consider the hapless victim in the next vehicle. Most of us love and respect our trucks for what they can do. We also take into account what carnage they can wreak in any situation. 2cents

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 818 averages 53 on 11R20's...55 down hill with a tail wind. I couldn't imagine that beast going faster. Not in a hurry here. I tell folks, "I don't get anywhere fast, but I look darn good gettin' there!" ;)

Special T

So that most of you know the speed rating has more to do with the load capacity of the tire. The 4 things involved in affecting tire life are Load, Air pressure, Speed, & Duration. You can change any one of those variables by altering the others. For example a XZL mich 1600R20 max load is 14540lbs @ 110psi @ 55mph @ sustained duration

Those tires at 120psi @ 25mph @ 2hours run time will yeild MUCH greater load capacity because we changed the charicteristics of the equasion.

Right or wrong this guy likley had fully inflated tires on an empty truck driving faster for a short period of time.

Tires blow due to heat buildup. The above equation is essentailly a HEAT buildup rating. Many of the tires that people on here have blow up are due to 1 the equation, and 2 age of the tire. An older tire cannot work at the same capacity as a new one. HOWEVER i am currently running 35 year old tires on my Jeep. I run them at max air pressure, slow speeds and short distances. They are ugly, weather cracked, and some would say dangerous... I however understand the limitations of these tires so i dont take them down the freeway for more than a mile or 2, and the load on the tires is HALF of what they are rated for.

HanksDeuce

My bobbed deuce could theoretically do 84mph because of the 16R20 michelins and 5 speed spicer transmission. Most I ever hit was 72mph on the interstate for a short duration. After the engine / tranny swap she maxes out at 55 mph. I run 50psi tire pressure.

FloridaAKM

My totally stock Deuce will do max 55 mph on the interstate, I wouldn't want to be in it going 80 mph anywhere as things happen too fast @ that speed. 45 to 50 is a happy cruising speed when out on the open road, if you don't like being behind the old Army truck, just pass me. If you do something stupid while passing & cause a wreck, the dashcam will catch it for legal matters.

Jeep Nasty

My five ton will do 74 measured by gps passing a car, but I would not
Stay that fast for long. It's very happy cruising at 60-65 with little or no load.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks