• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Doing 80 MPH!!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Safety had better matter to you more. It is not a cross country/highway truck (not to say one cannot be built).

You have very little idea of the damage you could do with one of these at 60-70. Do you see a roll bar for example?

A rollbar won't improve safety for anyone who isn't in the truck. His life is his to risk as he sees fit...

I found it enlightening to see one that had rolled over...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are right. I don't do the extreme offloading that some guys do here. I did a pond 6 times and on my final pass the truck got bogged for 5 days until I could get it pulled out. I'm a newbie.

Is there even anything I van do to improve turning radius even with 14.00's?
So have you tore all 6 hubs down and and serviced the bearings and checked the differential fluid for water ?
If not it should be at the top of your list of maintenance .

peteybabes

So have you tore all 6 hubs down and and serviced the bearings and checked the differential fluid for water ?
If not it should be at the top of your list of maintenance .
i'm not going to lie, i drove this without fluid changes, but i'm hoping to get the truck registered this week and will bring the truck to somebody to do a full fluid change on the truck. will cost me in the neighborhood of $1300...!!!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i'm not going to lie, i drove this without fluid changes, but i'm hoping to get the truck registered this week and will bring the truck to somebody to do a full fluid change on the truck. will cost me in the neighborhood of $1300...!!!

Are you made of money? These things are straightforward enough that there is very little you can't learn to do yourself.

Part of being a competent operator is knowing how it works. A big piece of knowing how it works is being able to maintain it yourself.

Not to mention the cost difference. The fluids themselves cost enough, without adding outrageous hourly rates on top of it, probably done by someone who is less familiar with the equipment than you are...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you sink them and don't service them after you sink them , you end up with wheel bearings like this. Which then tend to sieze up and blow apart.

Attachments

peteybabes

Are you made of money? These things are straightforward enough that there is very little you can't learn to do yourself.

Part of being a competent operator is knowing how it works. A big piece of knowing how it works is being able to maintain it yourself.

Not to mention the cost difference. The fluids themselves cost enough, without adding outrageous hourly rates on top of it, probably done by someone who is less familiar with the equipment than you are...
This would be all fluids the truck over not just the diffs. this would be performed by C&C who i hope have the most experience. i quite simply have a busy schedule and a job so i dont have the time to do the work myself unfortunately.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This would be all fluids the truck over not just the diffs. this would be performed by C&C who i hope have the most experience. i quite simply have a busy schedule and a job so i dont have the time to do the work myself unfortunately.
4 hours each way to C & C from Gahanna , OH . It would probably take less time to change the fluids it than you will spend driving there and back.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My guess is that you have never had the pleasure of blowing a steering tire on a big truck at highway speeds. I have and once would have been enough but I have been blessed several times thanks to low bidders and cheap bosses.

There are two possible bodily reactions to this.

(1) You achieve "Pucker Factor 10" in less than a heartbeat ("Pucker Factor 1" is the normal tightness of your anal O ring).

(2) You achieve "Pucker Factor -10 in which you immediately evacuate your bowels.

If the left tire blows and you are on a four lane road and no one is on your left you may be able to maintain enough control to get off to the right shoulder and stop without an accident.

If the right tire blows and you are one a four lane road you may have time to find a soft landing spot.

If you are on a two lane road with narrow shoulders I hope you have a good relationship with the deity of your choice.

Take a lesson from the Zen masters. Embrace the slow and enjoy it. Smile and wave to the people you see. You already know they wish they had one.

Be safe out there.

MtnSnow

Last edited:

Triple C

I just hope the OP stays safe. I think we all have had a learning curve. I learned my lesson the hard way and I was fortunate no one was hurt.

Last edited:

Alexsha

quickfarms

My guess is that you have never had the pleasure of blowing a steering tire on a big truck at highway speeds. I have and once would have been enough but I have been blessed several times thanks to low bidders and cheap bosses.

There are two possible bodily reactions to this.

(1) You achieve "Pucker Factor 10" in less than a heartbeat ("Pucker Factor 1" is the normal tightness of your anal O ring).

(2) You achieve "Pucker Factor -10 in which you immediately evacuate your bowels.

If the left tire blows and you are on a four lane road and no one is on your left you may be able to maintain enough control to get off to the right shoulder and stop without an accident.

If the right tire blows and you are one a four lane road you may have time to find a soft landing spot.

If you are on a two lane road with narrow shoulders I hope you have a good relationship with the deity of your choice.

Take a lesson from the Zen masters. Embrace the slow and enjoy it. Smile and wave to the people you see. You already know they wish they had one.

Be safe out there.
Blowing a tire is not the end of the world, as long as you do not panic.

When I was young I used to drive professionally and we were constantly overloaded.

Blowing a rear tire, even loaded, at freeway speeds was no big deal.

I remember driving on a two lane interstate, in the left lane, and hearing a load noise. The next thing I remember seeing was my passenger front tire passing me. When the front end dropped the truck did try to pull off to the right but I straightened it out and slowed down and pulled into the median. Our dispatcher sent the tow truck out because of an incident another driver had, the tow truck did lift the truck out of the dirt do the tire changer could put my new tire on.

The one thing I remember about my blowouts is how the other truck drivers around me slowed down to allow me the room to get out of the roadway.

Triple C

98G - I did in post #89 but here it is again to remind folk. attachment[6].jpg here is my experience with exceeding the rated speed. I didn't have my glasses on when I picked this truck up. I should have paid more attention to the rated speed because after 3 hrs doing about 62, the front left steer tire exploded in rush hour traffic while I was in the center lane. The tire had very little wear on it and a little low when I picked the truck up. I aired the tires up and left. I was very fortunate no one was hurt. The second issue was the speedometer was off and I didn't realize it. That is one reason I was driving over the rated speed limit as well. As I said, do what you want but I can tell you from experience, when the steer tire lets go, it gets interesting in a hurry.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks