• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Doing 80 MPH!!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Those older style Michelins are bad news all around. They are notorious for disentegrating like your picture. They dry rot and you dont always catch it on a quick visual inspection.

Triple C

Those older style Michelins are bad news all around. They are notorious for disentegrating like your picture. They dry rot and you dont always catch it on a quick visual inspection.
I'm not sure who's pucker factor was higher, mine or the young lady in the little Honda that was beside that tire when it let go. Fortunately the gator (tread) stayed in one piece and hung on the axle. The rest looked like it became about the size of ping pong balls. Didn't do any damage to anyone thankfully.

peteybabes

i can respect the replies and the concern with higher speed, but i would like to turn up the engine and since my 5th gear has already been modified and 70 MPH could be a regular hwy speed for me I just want to do it safely.

I emailed a Goodyear Tech regarding the 395/85R20 G MV/T i had mentioned earlier and here is his reply:

"Peter,

Ah, that takes me back to my old Air Force days at Nellis AFB, working in the civil engineering carpenter shop, driving a deuce-n-half at job sites...

With the 395/85R20 G MV/T, you can go as high as 81 MPH, provided the tires are properly inflated for the tire load. I have attached our engineering data sheets for the two tires. It's important to adhere to the load-inflation table so the tire contact patch is optimal for traction and even wear. You probably aren't loading the tires anywhere near their max load capacity, but you should know that the MV/T tire has a 9370 lb max load rating, vs 9960 lb for the AT-2A. Incidentally, the MV/T is the tire currently used on the FMTV, with which the deuce-n-half is somewhat of an ancestor. Are you currently using inner tubes with the 14.00R20? The MV/T is designed to operate tubeless, with a sealed wheel. If you're looking for new wheels, I can put you in touch with the company who makes aluminum wheels for these types of applications. Likewise if you would want a steel wheel. You'll also want to compare dimensions, looks like the MV/T will lower ground clearance by about an inch. Do you have a source for the tire?

Let me know if you have any questions.
-Dan

Daniel Shy, PMP
Technical Account Manager - Commercial/Military
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
200 Innovation Way, GIC-A 4598, Akron, OH 44316
phone.330.283.3817
daniel_shy@goodyear.com"

He provided some very helpful attachments as well which i'm attaching...View attachment ENGDATA 1400R20 AT-2A 082608 Rev 01.pdfView attachment ENG DATA 39585R20 LR-G MVT 010510.pdf

I did reply to let him know that this was a 5 ton application, but as you can see in the attachments it shows different capacity with certain psi.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The military speed rates at loaded capacity though. Not empty like most people drive. The truck in general isnt really made to go over 57. With the M939A1 an unintended consequence of larger tires was higher speed.

Triple C

Peter- I respect greatly that you want to do it safely and I applaud that. I don't have any idea what your experience level with big trucks is but what I can tell you is that tires and the safety issues related to them are only one aspect of risks related to speed. I would just encourage you (no matter what your level of experience) to remember that these vehicles are NOT just big cars. They aren't even typical big trucks. I drove class 8 tractors for years but these trucks are way harder to control in a panic stop. They were not designed to be your typical interstate truck and as tactical vehicles the sacrifices made to make them so seem to me to be in handling as well as comfort. I am certainly not trying to tell you what to do with your own truck and I applaud your safety awareness just let me pass on to you what an old driver once told me when I wasn't sure what to do, when you get to the place where you don't know what to do - stop. Good luck, stay safe.

Special T

i can respect the replies and the concern with higher speed, but i would like to turn up the engine and since my 5th gear has already been modified and 70 MPH could be a regular hwy speed for me I just want to do it safely.

I emailed a Goodyear Tech regarding the 395/85R20 G MV/T i had mentioned earlier and here is his reply:

"Peter,

Ah, that takes me back to my old Air Force days at Nellis AFB, working in the civil engineering carpenter shop, driving a deuce-n-half at job sites...

With the 395/85R20 G MV/T, you can go as high as 81 MPH, provided the tires are properly inflated for the tire load. I have attached our engineering data sheets for the two tires. It's important to adhere to the load-inflation table so the tire contact patch is optimal for traction and even wear. You probably aren't loading the tires anywhere near their max load capacity, but you should know that the MV/T tire has a 9370 lb max load rating, vs 9960 lb for the AT-2A. Incidentally, the MV/T is the tire currently used on the FMTV, with which the deuce-n-half is somewhat of an ancestor. Are you currently using inner tubes with the 14.00R20? The MV/T is designed to operate tubeless, with a sealed wheel. If you're looking for new wheels, I can put you in touch with the company who makes aluminum wheels for these types of applications. Likewise if you would want a steel wheel. You'll also want to compare dimensions, looks like the MV/T will lower ground clearance by about an inch. Do you have a source for the tire?

-Dan

Daniel Shy, PMP
phone.330.283.3817
daniel_shy@goodyear.com"

He provided some very helpful attachments as well which i'm attaching...View attachment 586214View attachment 586213

I did reply to let him know that this was a 5 ton application, but as you can see in the attachments it shows different capacity with certain psi.
I cannot read the load inflatoon tables. I have looked for these specific ones and never founf them. I think they should be saved I. The TM section because you happened to get very good I formation that is not easily attained. Hopefully the table will show hp on my computer.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peter,

-Dan

Daniel Shy, PMP
phone.330.283.3817
daniel_shy@goodyear.com
Interesting and useful, THANKS!

However, I would suggest one determines what 395/85R20 MV-T tire they have:
Load Range G or Load Range L

I assume that the way Daniel Shy wrote "395/85R20 G MV-T" that he's referring to the load range G tire, and that writing "395/85R20 L MV-T" would refer to the load rang L tire.

In Goodyear's 2010 Engineering Data Book, on the bottom of page 27 it lists the following (among other) important differences:
395/85R20 - Load Range G - Speed Rating 81 MPH
395/85R20 - Load Range L - Speed Rating 68 MPH
goodyear_395s.jpg

Please note the subtle but important differences!

The full PDF is 44 MB, direct link (and attached to this post below):
http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/pdf/resources/publications/2010_engdatabook.pdf

Attachments

Last edited:

peteybabes

Both of the options at the bottom of page 27 are great options with a deep 26/32nd tread. The difference is that the G rating is 14-ply with 9,370lb. capacity up to 95psi and the L rating is 20-ply with 11,700lb capacity up to 130 psi...

i am still waiting to get the information back from the Goodyear rep as to where i can purchase so that i can price them out.

i am going to also try to get info on the Michelin's to post here as well.

Special T

I can tell you that the heavier ply rating will be WAY more expensive that "new" surplus. I bet the msrp for the new 14ply are nocking a the grand each threshold, and are much harder to aquire.

peteybabes

All I can say is don't read the threat titled "So who has bumped the power on a 6CTA cummins" if you are faint at heart or a supporter or slow speed. :D

Some of the things said regarding speed in that thread would make some on this thread flip out.

gottaluvit

All I can say is don't read the threat titled "So who has bumped the power on a 6CTA cummins" if you are faint at heart or a supporter or slow speed. :D

Some of the things said regarding speed in that thread would make some on this thread flip out.
Being I have the M929A2 I might consider turning mine up even though I have zero interest in going over 50 mph. The power increase would make pulling hills with full loads nice. However, my trust in automatic transmissions prevents such action. I will just be patient. The top of that hill will come soon enough. BMY and TACOM made it the way they did for good reason. To be runable when needed.

KaiserM109

This tire was on my M92A1 when I picked it up at Ft. Benning, CA in Nov., 2012. The tires all looked new, including an NDT tire in the spare rack. This one was flat and I think the rim ruined the sidewall. While doing the other checks I aired it up using a long hose with a glad hand. Somewhere in Mississippi it blew.

Attachments

Ford Mechanic

A rollbar won't improve safety for anyone who isn't in the truck. His life is his to risk as he sees fit...

I found it enlightening to see one that had rolled over...
Yeah, do a search for ShootinIron on here (RIP) and see what happened to his truck.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Food for thought: add 10mph to my speed in this unfortunate event and how does it play out?

He would still go by me sideways.... except instead of him narrowly missing my winch with me standing on the brakes, he impacts me solidly and I become a participant instead of an observer. And the odds of him surviving go way down: watching his car come apart as it flipped end for end was bad enough. Imagine what it would be like to squash it with 23,000lbs of steel.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145463-Distracted-Driving-Kills

Day before yesterday...

Attachments

Ford Mechanic

Food for thought: add 10mph to my speed in this unfortunate event and how does it play out?

He would still go by me sideways.... except instead of him narrowly missing my winch with me standing on the brakes, he impacts me solidly and I become a participant instead of an observer. And the odds of him surviving go way down: watching his car come apart as it flipped end for end was bad enough. Imagine what it would be like to squash it with 23,000lbs of steel.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145463-Distracted-Driving-Kills

Day before yesterday...
Man your bumper would have opened the top of that car up like a can opener! He was luck you were paying attention.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks