• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Doing 80 MPH!!

99nouns

What ever happened to OVER SPEEDING light on the dash, his must be broken...

I know the Allison Transmissions in Houston TX has a speed adapter for M939 series that raises your speed about 30%, I am the guy gets a impeding ticket driving 45mph, never highway though.

gottaluvit

What ever happened to OVER SPEEDING light on the dash, his must be broken...

I know the Allison Transmissions in Houston TX has a speed adapter for M939 series that raises your speed about 30%, I am the guy gets a impeding ticket driving 45mph, never highway though.
I wondered about that light myself. Mine never had it but I see some with and some without on GP.

gottaluvit

i can respect the replies and the concern with higher speed, but i would like to turn up the engine and since my 5th gear has already been modified and 70 MPH could be a regular hwy speed for me I just want to do it safely.

So I have a question for anyone knowledgable relating to the gears. I have counted my shifts a few times and it sure sounds to me like it shifts five times, with the last shift at 48 mph. That means there's six gears. Does the allison have a lock-up converter like a 700R4 or has my fifth gear been modified? I had a 4 speed 700R4 and it had 5 gears (or 4 with a lock-up converter). Seems this allison may be the same being a six speed if I count that converter locking up. Found out one day by accident, when I thought I was in top gear and it shifted again.

Ford Mechanic

The trans in these is a 4 speed and has a lock up converter. Another interesting fact, 4th gear is 1:1. The trans get case when in high is a overdrive ratio. This took me several times of other members explaining it to finally get it. As it's not something I'd had ever seen before in other vehicles.

peteybabes

Food for thought: add 10mph to my speed in this unfortunate event and how does it play out?

He would still go by me sideways.... except instead of him narrowly missing my winch with me standing on the brakes, he impacts me solidly and I become a participant instead of an observer. And the odds of him surviving go way down: watching his car come apart as it flipped end for end was bad enough. Imagine what it would be like to squash it with 23,000lbs of steel.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145463-Distracted-Driving-Kills

Day before yesterday...
Your reply to the police officer, (in the link you posted above) explains why even if we went faster, at night we are still very hard to see and are still a target to so many distracted drivers, or drivers who just don't know what to do.

thanks for that.

gottaluvit

Your reply to the police officer, (in the link you posted above) explains why even if we went faster, at night we are still very hard to see and are still a target to so many distracted drivers, or drivers who just don't know what to do.

thanks for that.
In Texas the speed limit is 10 mph less at dark and clearly posted as such, for darn good reason. We need that in Ohio with our deer population adding to the danger.

Last edited:

gottaluvit

The trans in these is a 4 speed and has a lock up converter. Another interesting fact, 4th gear is 1:1. The trans get case when in high is a overdrive ratio. This took me several times of other members explaining it to finally get it. As it's not something I'd had ever seen before in other vehicles.
Thanks for that info. So with the converter locked up that's one very high gear ratio. Lot's of torque in these cummins to do that effortlessly.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably not... but the car/SUV/van out of control & crossing lanes, trying to avoid that deer, or after hitting it!

G.

350TacoZilla

Food for thought: add 10mph to my speed in this unfortunate event and how does it play out?

He would still go by me sideways.... except instead of him narrowly missing my winch with me standing on the brakes, he impacts me solidly and I become a participant instead of an observer. And the odds of him surviving go way down: watching his car come apart as it flipped end for end was bad enough. Imagine what it would be like to squash it with 23,000lbs of steel.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145463-Distracted-Driving-Kills

Day before yesterday...
Not to stir the pot but if you were doing 10mph faster he may not have had to swerve violently trying to miss your large,heavy difficult to see vehicle (your words) that you so proudly drive below the posted speed limit in the first place. I'm sure he was going faster than 70 (your stated speed +the 10mph you offered to speed up) anyhow and would have had an accident anyway, but if you were traveling 10mph faster you might have been farther down the rd by the time he got to that section and he could have found whatever he was reaching for with time to spare before coming up on you. Its a what if situation all the way around anyhow and I have seen people crash into stationary objects often enough to know that sometimes the accident is just going to happen even if your not involved. I drove my M923 at 65-70 and still had cars/rigs run up on the back of it from time to time, some people drive wayyyy to fast and it doesnt matter what you are driving or how fast you are going there will be someone going faster but at same time I try not to be a slow moving obstacle to people just trying to do the speed limit.

A bad driver is a hazard no matter what they are driving from a scooter to a rig loaded to 80K, speed isnt always the cause. I would also like to point this out to everyone with their horror stories about blow outs. I have had a brand new BFG AT blow out on my blazer traveling 50mph less than 10 miles from place that put it on and inflated/balanced them properly, would you assume that the tire is not rated for 50mph on a 6,000lb vehicle and we should all drive our 4x4's 45mph or would you possibly consider the fact that out of the millions of tires made every year a few bad apples sneak past QC? Heck if your truck sat in direct sunlight on oneside more than the other your at risk of blowing a tire on that side more than the shaded side.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I consider these exact things actually. Stirring the pot is good, as you may provoke someone to think...

60mph is pretty much wide open in an M925 with 11.00R20's, so I don't really have the option of going faster. The speed limit in this area was 65mph, so I wasn't all that far below the posted limit, and I was well over the posted minimum of 40mph.

His speed was probably 85+.

I note you mention you run your M923 at 65-70. Is it safe to presume you have an M923A2 or that you have made changes to your M923?

99nouns

Not to forget there also is a destiny in this world where God makes things happen but if you guys keep this up I feel like putting my truck for sale soon.

Artisan

Darwin has a theory about evolution.
The weak usually die. Weak can mean BRAINS
as well as brawn.

A soupped up, tactical, X military truck, tearing up the
highways and byways we all share with our children and wives
is just plan STUPID.*

The tires on many of these trucks are so freaking big that
if you get a flat on a curve (or elsewhere), and if that curve is on an
elevated section of road, you will most likey be going
for a ride you do not want to be part of.

*Now lets talk about what could happen if that idiot killed
your wife and or kids while driving like an azzhole.

I tested my M925A1 wide open. It was a FLAT road and
there was NO ONE to be seen for miles around me. It
was early AM Utah I believe. My GPS said 68.3MPH if I remember correctly.
There was maybe 1.5 ton of stuff in the back over stock.
Two hands FIRMLY grasping the wheel wearing leather gloves. Why? BECUASE IF
THERE WERE A TIRE FAILURE I WANT TO TRY TO LIVE!

Bet ya it was a kid. Kids need to be PUNISHED LOL!

99nouns

Please elaborate on what they are offering?
This is the company who has speed adaptors for all Allisons, he told me he could raise the speed of 6x6 HET for 30% from top 45mph to about 60, but after finding out HET M1070 does 1.3 mpg, I was like I need me a Saudi princess to marry one with whose dad got oil wells, then figured out wont happen, so got me a 927 if you like say hi to Dave there. He is a super nice guy but please value his time...

Copeland International, Inc.
Dave Bosco
(800)-966-9860 Toll Free
(713)-856-1513 Direct. (Press 7 to go to cell if VM picks up)
(713)-466-9838 Office.
(713)-466-9839 Fax.
dbosco@copelandintl.com
www.copelandintl.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks