• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 exhaust mainifold gasket change (help)...

Carlo

I need to change the exhaust manifold gaskets on my 8.3 M923A2. Can I get some feedback? I have the parts including new bolts but are these old bolts going to give me trouble? I can heat them if need be but I would sure like to hear some one out there that has done it before I tackel this one..

Thanks Brothers!

Carlo

IMG_1333[1].jpgIMG_1332[1].jpgIMG_1331[1].jpgIMG_1330[1].jpgWell I got it done! I had to ports leaking and the orginal gaskets were the classic old gasket but the new were 4 "slices" of stainless steel. I did have to bolts break off but I had ordered new bolts. I drilled out the old ones and tapped in new threads and all went back together and no more leaks! I did it alone in 4 hours. If anyone needs help doing the same repair feel free to ask me. I would be happy to help!

HASSON1911

Thanks for the thread, I also need to do this to my M923a2 when she gets home #4 is leaking according to the guy who picked it up.

Carlo

Thanks for the thread, I also need to do this to my M923a2 when she gets home #4 is leaking according to the guy who picked it up.
Dont make the same mistake I did. Spray the crap out of the bolts with WD 40 maybe 5 times in 24 hours. Then dont try to lossen them completly. Tighten a little then lossen and then tighten again and spray more. Then try to lossen them. Buy new bolts and gaskets are the new steel kind. I broke 2 off before I heard my Fathers voice telling me to tighten first and lossen. Work the bolt back and forth before trying to remove it he would say. I tried an easy out but it broke. I then got the drill and drilled them out with a #8 drill (metric). Sorry first a "pilot hole" with a smaller bit. The bolt was really soft and drilled good in the center. I then re threaded it and all went well. I used high temp gasket seal even though it should not be needed with the new multi layer steel gaskets.
I put up with the leak for months! She sounds sweet now. I also cut the muffler open and gutted her out. It was plugged with sout! Truck sounds a little more "open" now.
Let me know if I can help and sorry for any mis spelled words.

Carlo

Great job Carl, I would have stopped and cried when the bolt snapped off.
I was worried I wont lie. I did not think it would finsh as nice as it did. The easy out was a waist of time. The stock bolts are super soft and they drilled out perfect in center. I had the right tap and got her tapped perfect. I think I was lucky.

0025rl

Carlo

I have the same issue with my M923A2. I will be doing the work myself. It's my understanding that I can get the gaskets from any Cat dealer or from TNJ Murray. Where did you get new bolts and your gaskets? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Ron

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I taught my son the trick Carlo's father taught him and apply PB blaster days before the job and tap with light blows.( it's on the lable) Then the day of removal work that bolt in and out only if is just a hair. The outher thing is use reverse drilling drill bits and sometimes you get lucky and it spins them out while drilling.

Carlo

Carlo

I have the same issue with my M923A2. I will be doing the work myself. It's my understanding that I can get the gaskets from any Cat dealer or from TNJ Murray. Where did you get new bolts and your gaskets? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Ron
I got everything from cummins. Remember to spray the crap out of the top bolts with rust eater. Then don't loosen first but tighten maybe 2 mm. Then loosen 2mm then tighten back and forth. The spray again. Wait and try to loosen.
Remember the turbo gasket!
Let me know if you need more help. Wish I could pop over and give you a hand. In two we could do it in 2 hours max.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks