• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 for a tanker truck

Adam Suess

I belong to the local fire dept. We have an xm813 and 2,300 gallon tank we are using as a tanker truck. The engine never seemed to run right plus the sprag is bad. I attached a photo if it worked. We would like to upgrade. The DNR forestry has access to a M923A2 that is reported to have 10 hrs but 1400 miles?? Has a soft top but sounds like a nice truck. I have a few questions. One is how stable are these trucks with the 1400-20 tires? I weighted the 813 once years ago and if I remember right it’s around 40,000 lbs loaded. Would we be safer switching it to 1100-20's? Another is with the exhaust being behind the cab was the frame behind the cab longer than the xm813? I'd like to keep the weight distribution from the tank the same if at all possible. Will the hard top from the XM813 fit the M923? If not how hard/ expensive is it to find a hard top? Is the injection pump electronic or mechanical? How is the charging system on the A2's? It seems were always having trouble with the 813 eating batteries. Thanks

Attachments

Interapid

I am not sure but can't a local fire department get a free M939 from the government? At the Jefferson City lot I saw a bunch of Hummers and the guy said police and FD's can get them for free. That way you can get any model on the surplus inventory you want.

fasttruck

1. I predict 14:00 20s with six tires will be less stable.
2.The cargo bodies are the same size so the space behind the exhaust and spare tire should be the same as a M813.
3. Tops are different sizes.
4. Charging system and battteries (4ea 6tls) is the same.

goldneagle

The M939 series trucks have a wider cab. The hardtop is longer -so the M813 top is not going to fit the M923. The rest of the truck should fit your needs well. I just Titled and registered my truck at 41,000 pounds GVW. So I know it can handle the tank without any issues. The air brakes are better than the type on the M813. A2 model has the newer turbo-charged engine. More fuel efficient than the older HNC250. :tank:

emr

Exact thread covered more than a few times, search is your friend, Simple facts, duels more stable under load, wayyyy more stable. also will not dead line the truck if a rear tire runs low on air or fails,Also can be aired down under a load and still perform... the BIG radials are known for catastrophic side wall failure low air under loads, Super singles are far better in rocks and sand where we fight today. Sliding and mud loaded is a duel job, no opinion all facts, hard road loaded is a duel job no opinion all facts. Basic tire principles apply here. Snow mud narrow, taller the better . Sand, rocks wide. Taller the better.. Think about it, that truck loaded with singles on a hill and one rear blows, the trucks stability is done, Rollover time,

Pull the tire rack and move up the tank on the 939 series truck, Also Singles will work I am just telling you the facts since you asked , Any 939 series truck will be a good choice, actually the 813 is too, Your mechanics is probably the problem, Not the truck,no disrespect intended.

Goldeneagle makes the best point, the air brakes on the 939 series truck are so much better ,

They have the same frame and axles and allot of other parts, trans is robust and strong, poor inexperienced drivers can ruin it, They were made on the same assembly line at first, while the last 809 series trucks were finished,

Last edited: