• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 fuel problem

Blarsen

I have had my truck for 4 years with zero problems, I started it for a veteran who wanted to hear it, idled great for about 5 minuets and the chugged to a stop like a truck running out of fuel.. I replaced the lift pump and filters but I am having trouble getting fuel to the pump.. I installed a shrader valve and pressured the tank without luck... could the pick-up hose in the tank have come lose? If so where is it? Any help would be great.. thanks in advance Bret

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They can break off or just get tiny pin holes on em. Pull it and look at it. It will be the inner fitting with the metal pipe coming to it on the tank. Center of the tank on the frame rail side. It unscrews and the pickup tube is attached to it.

Replace that metal line from the tank to the filter housing with some push lock rubber line while you are in there.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, pickup tube in the tank is notorious for cracking or breaking off. Someone on here sell cool stainless replacement, TIG welded by a real astronaut or some such nonsense.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try to prime the pump with the bleed screw on the back side of the pump (10mm wrench). Pump the primer till no air comes out of the bleed screw, my take a lot of pushes (30-50).
Next if it still will not start look at the pickup tube in the tank and make sure it is not cracked at the top. Also check your hoses for leaks and cracks.
If you have the big fuel filter make sure it is seated right and not leaking.
Do not put over about 5psi in the tank when pressuring it.

TedCat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I make the pickup tubes. It sounds like that is exactly what the problem is. As suggested undo the larger fuel line and back the 90* fitting out of the top of the fuel tank. It corrodes above the fuel line so dont worry about getting it out all the way. Post pics of what you come up with.

Blarsen

Took it apart and the connection was partly soldered so I re- soldered it and primed the truck, run for about 5 minuets and died again... I am at a loss now..

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Do you have your fuel shut off solenoid removed? If not take that thing off and throw it in the garbage.

Reprime the truck, when it goes to die give it some ether to keep it running. After about a min let it die Then pull your main filter and see if it's got fuel in it. If its empty then you know you have a either pump or suction problem. I wouldn't trust the pickup tube you fixed. I would get s new fitting from the home depot and some new copper tube and redo the whole thing.

Would be better off running a line to a fuel can and see if it will run longer than 5mins

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put another 10 gallons in, the pick up tube doesn’t go all the way to the bottom. Your probably sucking air.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don’t ask me how I know...

Also, the 8.3 is supposed to self prime by cranking with the throttle wide open. I haven’t got myself in a situation again to prove this though. You also might tie the shutoff solenoid back and keep your batteries on charge until you resolve this.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
^^ what he said about self priming. Early engines used copper washers to seal the 6mm "bleed" capscrews instead of the dyna seal type. Too many off and ons of the 6mm capscrews can cause loss of prime issues. Put more go juice in the tank and try again. If still no start, do as simp says and run from a CLEAN bucket directly to the lift pump. Also, somewhere here I posted the pull in lengths for the FSOV, too much pull in or not enough causes issues. Search "FSOV" to find it.

74M35A2

Don't go down the wrong path. Your fuel stop solenoid will not cause what you described. They are not garbage either, only for people who run batteries more than 5 years old in their trucks, yet keep them because they still start the truck (but voltage then drops below solenoid spec during cranking). They do have 2 coils in them, a pull and hold, hence the 3 wires.

Yes you are sucking air. Replace the soft lines from tank to lift pump. Pull and check or replace the tank dip tube as mentioned. Test lift pump while cranking truck with spin-on filter loosened. If you have the large frame mounted canister filter, make sure the square washer at the top is seated correctly, and the drain at bottom is closed correctly. Your main injection pump should be fine if your filter was only half full. The push primer only works well if you crack the spinner filter loose or loosen a bleed screw at the lift line top banjo fitting or injection pump bleed screw (both 10mm heads).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks