• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 high EGT fix!

Flea

Hey everyone. Been a while since I have posted. I wanted to share this with anyone having similar problems.

Long post with information. Due to level of grease and contamination, unfortunately no pictures of the process. Picture of the truck is all I have for now (4th of July).

I have a 1991 M923A2, obviously Cummins 8.3 6CTA. The truck has had blown exhaust gaskets for some time, and they have gotten progressively worse. Not wanting to dive in to the 30+ year old gaskets and manifold bolts led to me putting it off time and again. I knew it would be a pain. This weekend, I ripped the bandaid off and went to work.

The back story is my EGTs have steadily rose to where I was on the worry gauge unloaded (1200+ easy on flat ground while accelerating). I would also only peak at around 12 PSI while under full throttle. Obviously not good.

The blown gaskets reduced drive pressure on the turbo just exactly like how a boost leak on the pressure side would cause similar symptoms.

You will need a decent impact gun, propane torch, PB blaster, 15 and 16mm sockets, some long extensions, and plenty of time. Plan on a hammer, flat blade screwdriver, and some assorted wrenches of varying sizes. I used a couple adjustable wrenches to good effect. A good breaker bar and a torque wrench are a must. Copper anti-seize.

The exhaust bolts are metric, M10x1.5, and factory is 65mm. I bought 70mm, because the new style Cummins exhaust gasket (part number 3932063) is significantly thicker. They worked perfectly. I also got a bolt with a shoulder, rather than a standard head.

I soaked all the bolts in PB blaster and worked the impact gun back and forth. This worked like a charm! 10 of 12 came out with little to no fuss. Given how much of the bolts had worn away with rust, this was a blessing.

Now, you will be removing the downpipe from the turbo, the turbo oil feed and drain lines, the alternator and mounting bracket, thermostat housing, and upper radiator hose. You will have to drain the coolant because of this. Plan on all of these gaskets, because they are also 30+ years old. I left the turbo on the manifold to simplify some things and to avoid the turbo gasket, which was fine. I was really concerned about twisting one of the studs off, which would have meant a new manifold.

When the manifold was off, I inspected the turbo (no damage, no noticeable shaft play), and I used a wire wheel to clean up the mating surface on the manifold and cylinder head.

If you find you have broken a bolt, don't panic. Plan on an extra hour or so. You will need a drill, some GOOD drill bits, center punch and good quality taps. If you have a welder and can MIG a nut onto the broken bolt, even better. I don't, so I had to do it the hard way. Center drill the bolt out progressively larger until you can re-cut the threads in the head, or until the bolt fails and comes out. An extractor kit did not work for me, YMMV.

Two days, 10 hours total, taking my time through the process. I hurt everywhere, but the truck runs and sounds awesome! I cannot get it above about 1050 on the pyro, even at WOT uphill. Boost is 23+ psi, and acceleration is smoooooth and powerful.

If you have high EGT and blown exhaust gaskets, this may be your problem!

Attachments

Flea

Also, Cummins specs 35 ft-lb. on the manifold bolts. They don't need to be gorilla tight! Tighten from the center two cylinders outwards progressively in a box pattern. Use plenty of anti-seize on the threads, and they shouldn't give you too much trouble in the future.

Flea

You can hear the blown gaskets. It makes a loud ticking sound where the exhaust pulses are escaping at the flange.

The biggest sign is a heavy amount of soot in the engine comapartment. Exhaust escaping around the gaskets will coat everything in black!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can hear the blown gaskets. It makes a loud ticking sound where the exhaust pulses are escaping at the flange.

The biggest sign is a heavy amount of soot in the engine comapartment. Exhaust escaping around the gaskets will coat everything in black!
I got a loud ticking but everything is spotless. Goes with RPM and disappears when not under load. :D

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a loud ticking but everything is spotless. Goes with RPM and disappears when not under load. :D
Sounds like how the leak I had on my Cat acted. It was such a heavy knock, and only under load that I thought it was a main bearing at first. After a cold start you have a little time to quickly run your fingers around the manifold and feel for the puff of air before it gets too hot. Once I felt the leak I packed a handful of clay on it to verify, and the sound went away completely. There was no soot visible on this leak either.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like how the leak I had on my Cat acted. It was such a heavy knock, and only under load that I thought it was a main bearing at first. After a cold start you have a little time to quickly run your fingers around the manifold and feel for the puff of air before it gets too hot. Once I felt the leak I packed a handful of clay on it to verify, and the sound went away completely. There was no soot visible on this leak either.
Sorry, don't mean to threadjack, but seems like you have experience with this...

Is this kinda what you heard or something difference?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, don't mean to threadjack, but seems like you have experience with this...

Not really. Yours sounds like a typical old school exhaust manifold/header flange leak, that most of us have dealt with too many times, on old gas engines. If not exhaust manifold I would take a wild guess at blown head gasket or burnt exhaust vale. Does the power seem to pulse/miss from a weak or dead hole? Can you hear the tick clearly through the exhaust or intake stack? Do you have a sound frequency meter, or if you can “feel” the tick, a vibration frequency meter to verify it is 1/2 your RPM? After that I’m thinking compression test if none of the typical head gasket symptoms present. Maybe @WillWagner has a better guess, just by sound?

Defcon-1

Also not to compound problems for you Sir, but I noticed your ABS light was on :oops:
You battery gauge looked like it was in the green-range so it might actually be an ABS issue instead of generator output issue?

1711906509612.png

Went ahead in the TM and found this for troubleshooting, seems like lots of good stuff in there to maybe assist in what's going on:
1711907654735.png
1711907442124.png
1711907567849.png

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also not to compound problems for you Sir, but I noticed your ABS light was on :oops:
You battery gauge looked like it was in the green-range so it might actually be an ABS issue instead of generator output issue?

View attachment 920243

Went ahead in the TM and found this for troubleshooting, seems like lots of good stuff in there to maybe assist in what's going on:
View attachment 920253
View attachment 920247
View attachment 920249
Already fixed. :D

Defcon-1

Already fixed. :D

Wonderful, that's my bad I thought the video of the exhaust leak was current since you posted it on Sat, but looks like you fixed ABS issue back in Sep. I'm glad you found the code reader too that's awesome! :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks