• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 jump started, engine ran. Engine would not re-start, without another jump

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Charge , then load test the batteries . Keep in mind running it with bad batteries can fry the alternator .

74M35A2

Not a lot of info provided. Upon restart, does the cranking speed seem sufficient enough to start, yet it is not? If so, then the fuel stop solenoid is likely de-energizing due to low voltage which is a known issues with these. Have a buddy hold it in or zip-tie it into the fully retracted position, and try again.

Is your alternator charging? Need to see voltage greater than 25.6V when running at the battery terminals to confirm the alternator is working.

You don't "have" to buy a battery load tester, you can measure battery voltage during cranking, essentially it should not drop below 20V during actual cranking otherwise the batteries are weak. If they dropped below 20V during cranking after being fully recharged, then they are not up to snuff.

You can simply buy 2 replacement batteries at a local auto parts or truck store, and connect them in series. I run two group 31 batteries that are about $100 each at any semi truck dealer. Starts my 8.3L just fine, hot or cold. Be sure to bolt them down, you don't want them to tip over and acid soak your floor pan, or bounce up and short out against the seat base/box lid.

Gunzy

I also run 2 group 31 batteries that are 900CCA ea(1800CCA total) and have no problems starting my NHC250 even in low temps. The 4 battery configuration is a Mil requirement that really isn't needed for us collectors even though many choose to keep 4.

brasco

It takes a long time to charge batteries that are really low. If the engine just ran for an hour or so then that was probably not long enough. It can take 24-48 hours to fully charge these batteries.

From personal experience, I drained the batteries in my M923A2 once by leaving the master switch on for 4 weeks (oops) which resulted in totally dead batteries. I jump started the truck with no issues and let it run for over an hour yet this was not enough to charge the batteries. I put a charger on the batteries for 24 hours and that did the trick

I would try charging for 24-48 hours before throwing them out. Mine seem to hold a charge OK now.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to repeat previous advise. Do not run your truck with low/dead batteries. You will fry your alternator voltage regulator and when it goes it can blow out gauges and lights. I have first hand experience, and now run a commercial alternator that die more gracefully.

Do yourself a favor and charge your batteries with a battery charger. If the battery's health is in question, test them or get them tested before running them on the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks