• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m923a2 license plate location.

maxtor

I just received our Historic license plates today. I did a search and did not find anything on where the license plates are placed. I will check tomorrow at the CHP office and see what they say. The front plate is the issue. Centered, it will be in line of the hood bar. I am not sure if CHP will allow the front plate to be placed on the right or left side of the front bumper.

plode

I've been trying to figure out where to place the rear license plate on my truck. I bought a license plate light with a mount(license plate lights are required here in NJ), but I haven't decided where I can put it. I was thinking on the back side of the drivers side mudflap(on the steel part), but it has those two bumps in it which make it tough to mount.
The front I'm just going to put it on the drivers side.

maxtor

On our M923a2, there is two small holes on the top side of the front bumper. I am thinking about getting a angle iron that is 12 inches long, by 3/4 inch by 1 1/2 inch. You then can bolt the angle iron to the bumper and then drill two holes in the angle iron for the license plate. The 1 1/2 inch side would be horizontal, and the 3/4 inch side would be vertical. On the rear, depending on what the CHP says, we could drill two or four holes in the back bumper. This might be to high to be legal, but I will find that out tomorrow.

plode

On our M923a2, there is two small holes on the top side of the front bumper. I am thinking about getting a angle iron that is 12 inches long, by 3/4 inch by 1 1/2 inch. You then can bolt the angle iron to the bumper and then drill two holes in the angle iron for the license plate. The 1 1/2 inch side would be horizontal, and the 3/4 inch side would be vertical. On the rear, depending on what the CHP says, we could drill two or four holes in the back bumper. This might be to high to be legal, but I will find that out tomorrow.
NJ has minimum and maximum heights for license plate mounting, something you might want to check as well. Can't be higher then 49" here so the back "bumper" is out..plus the tailgate would smash the light.

Naterik

Best place I know of for a front plate is in the cab behind the seat with a list of excuses. We're "supposed" to have them here in OH but I absolutely hate what it does to the looks of any vehicle in the front end. I usually scrape them up on the driveway and use the it just fell off last night and I didn't get it put back on yet excuse.

SLOrazorsedge

Here you go Calif VC: 5201. (a) License plates shall at all times be securely fastened tothe vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates
from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly
visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left
to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly
legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12
inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license
plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground,
except as follows:

SLOrazorsedge

There are a bunch of exceptions for tow trucks, garbage trucks and truck tractors. The front plate many times is mounted to the far left drivers side on over the road trucks. Also don't forget that in Calif the rear license plate shall be illuminated at night, even though its a reflective plate.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my deuce I mounted the plate on the mudflap holder. There are two holes already there. The don't line up with the plate holes so I just drill new ones in the plate. You do have to add some washers though to space out for the ribs in the mudflap holder.

FullSpecial

I mounted mine to the brake valve bracket. You don't see it from the sides and unless you're looking for it you really don't even notice.
Mind you if you are looking for it from the front with an open mind you can't miss it. Sorry, best pick I have of it.
IMG_20131109_181458_795 - Copy.jpg

maxtor

After talking to the CHP, I found out that the plate that has the month and year needs to be in the front. Just opposite of a car. I just finished installing both plates. A piece of cake.

What I did was to purchase angle iron "perforated" that was 1/8 inch thick, with sides that are 1.5 inches. I cut the angle iron to a length of 11 inches. There are two existing holes on the top of the stock bumper, so I just bolted the angle iron to the existing holes. Then bolted the license plate to the other side of the angle iron. Of course I painted the angle iron flat black so it blends with the trucks paint.
On the back, I had a two inch wide by two foot long flat piece of aluminum. I took out two bolts from the mud flap frame, and installed two longer bolts along with spacers. Then I drilled holes for those bolts, and holes for the license plate into the flat piece of aluminum.
Then just bolted it together. It looks great, and did not require drilling any holes into the truck.

F18hornetM

I made tag brackets that use the left rear tail light bolts. None on the front although we are supposed to. But do whatever you state requires, or what you can get away with!

maxtor

Maxtor

Only on tractors does the plate with the stickers go on the front. On all other vehicles it is supposed to be on the rear.
That is not what the chp said today. He might have been wrong. Our trash pickup was today and I did look to see which plate was on the front, and it was the one with the month and year on it. I will ask another chp officer tomorrow. It will be easy to move the plates around if need be.

F18hornetM

Same in MD, only tractors get the tag with stickers on the front only. All other trucks here get tags front and back. I figured if they ever gave me any grief for not having the front tag on, Id just mount the tag on a magnet like a dealer tag. Then just pop off once at the shows or parade.

maxtor

I just got off the phone from our local CHP office. The officer said that any vehicle over 10,001 lb. empty, needs to have the license plate with the month and year on the front. Here in California when they send you your plates, they only send one set of month and year stickers. So I will leave the sticker plate on the front until I am told differently from another CHP officer. It would be interesting to know why they require you to do this differently than other vehicles.
I just got up, so in an hour or two, I will take some pictures of the plate locations and mounting.