• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 motor dead

Grob

So my A2 was fired up a few days ago (by my bride), and she chose to ignore the idiot light flashing low air pressure, and put it in gear (before proper air pressure). shortly thereafter the motor died, and now it cranks with not a sputter. I assume it has to do with solenoid on fuel pump, but I can seem to get it to reset? When I reset counter clockwise, it still wont start, and when the ignition is turned off, the solenoid resets the shut off to the clockwise position. Only had the thing a few weeks, and had not spent a lot of time tinkering to know what is what. any ideas would be greatly appreciated, so my darling can stop catching heck from me.:wink:

MtnSnow

If it cranks and while it is cranking you have made sure that the fuel kill lever is in the counter clockwise position, I would say you have lost your fuel prime. Use the manual prime button on the lift pump until you hear the "squish" of fuel being pushed past the fuel return check valve and then try cranking it over again.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How was it shut off ? If. you didn't turn the switches off in the correct sequence you could've damaged the PCB. manuals are available for these trucks

Last edited:

Gunzy

OK, I have to ask. Is there plenty of fuel in the tank? Just seeing what may look like a 1/4 tank may not be enough. The fuel is empty when there is 5-6 gals still in the tank.

gottaluvit

OK, I have to ask. Is there plenty of fuel in the tank? Just seeing what may look like a 1/4 tank may not be enough. The fuel is empty when there is 5-6 gals still in the tank.
Indeed. I had 1/4 tank on one tank and knew darn well I should have switched tanks and drove it home fine. Next time I went to start it, it failed to start. I switched tanks and pumped up the lift pump and it fired right up. I realize you only have one tank, so it's worthy of hauling fuel cans and get it up to half tank to eliminate. Doghead has a good point, but I doubt putting it in gear with the brakes still locked hurt anything.

Aruba1

Once the air builds to an acceptable level (60 psi???) then the brakes will release so the truck can move but the low air pressure has nothing to do with killing the engine if it's put in gear.

Grob

So it was the loss of prime. pumped the primer bulb several times and it sputtered and started. Aruba1 suggests there is not kill feature to throw the shut off solenoid if dropped into gear while low air buzzer is going off? It is right around 1/4 tank on gauge, but as I said it fired fine, my wife neglected to wait till low air buzzer went off, and engaged in reverse. Within a few seconds it sputtered and died. The missing piece I did not realize, was she and my son cranked on the motor thereafter and thus introduced the air (or more air) in fuel system?

Either way I will top off the tank, and tell the bride hands off :)

thanks all.

74M35A2

Your wife didn't do anything wrong. Way cool she will get in and handle it. An A2 doesn't need the fuel cut reset. The fuel cut solenoid is problematic though on these. It will go to stop mode even after extended cranking as it heats up and battery voltage drops. I say add 10 gallons of fuel, open the purge relief on the injection pump, pump the primer 50 times or until fuel sprays out with each pump, close the relief, charge the batteries, zip tie the fuel cut solenoid into the fully retracted position, spray a whiff of starting fluid into the fresh air inlet screen, make sure the fuel cut cable is fully pushed in, and crank again with pedal half way down. It will probably be fine. You torque converter may be in lock-up, check the chrome button on the end of the transfer case lever and see if it is stuck in.