• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Muffler repair/replace?

therooster2001

Ok two more questions. I've seen the new gaskets on the bay and they don't look big enough, they are listed as exhaust gaskets. Does anyone have the the NSN of the correct ones for both sides of the muffler? I did find tan high temp (actually called almond) which is a heck I a lot closer than black. Nobody local carries it. Ill have to order online.

Artisan

ok two more questions. I've seen the new gaskets on the bay and they don't look big enough, they are listed as exhaust gaskets. Does anyone have the the nsn of the correct ones for both sides of the muffler? I did find tan high temp (actually called almond) which is a heck i a lot closer than black. Nobody local carries it. Ill have to order online.
5330-01-379-4345 12255817 nonasbestos

therooster2001

Certain Home Depots carry it. It's not that good of a match, but better than green, although black would have been an interesting choice now that I settled on it to be my accent color. Still in the process of painting..

Thanks Artisan for the real NSN, some odd gaskets on the Bay. They just don't look right. The one that did was a bit pricey. Ordered it from Erik, and they came a bit rounded, but worked out just fine. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446388791.686017.jpg

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok two more questions. I've seen the new gaskets on the bay and they don't look big enough, they are listed as exhaust gaskets. Does anyone have the the NSN of the correct ones for both sides of the muffler? I did find tan high temp (actually called almond) which is a heck I a lot closer than black. Nobody local carries it. Ill have to order online.
The exhaust will seal without the one gasket that was placed on the bottom joint. If you look the bottom has a lip the goes into the muffler. I have replaced 3 mufflers so far and there was no sealing problem without the gasket. Believe the 10 cent gasket was bought and then they charge the Government 10 dollars maybe 100 bucks for it. Got to know how contractors work.

Last edited:

JohnnyBM931A2

Certain Home Depots carry it. It's not that good of a match, but better than green, although black would have been an interesting choice now that I settled on it to be my accent color. Still in the process of painting..

Thanks Artisan for the real NSN, some odd gaskets on the Bay. They just don't look right. The one that did was a bit pricey. Ordered it from Erik, and they came a bit rounded, but worked out just fine. View attachment 591461
How much of a pain was it to replace the muffler? Did you have to get the torch out to break the bolts loose? I just ordered one from Floridianson (thanks again) because I found some quarter sized holes facing the spare tire, and I am wondering what I am in for..

therooster2001

Nah, easy. I've pulled clamps and heat shrouds at Glen's on a bunch of trucks, never had to torch anything. 4 bolts on the shrould, 4 on the holders, and 2 on the clamps. The only pain is getting TO the bolts. I'm a little guy so I can climb around the truck, but big guys will find it a pain. Little hint, don't pull the bottom two bolts for the heat shroud, you can use it as a bit of a holder so the muffler won't fall out. You will have to lift it out the top however. Took me 10 to put it back on, but about 20 to pull it off by myself. Take the top exhaust pipe off first of course, and get the gaskets (or just one as one poster said) before you need them.

JohnnyBM931A2

Nah, easy. I've pulled clamps and heat shrouds at Glen's on a bunch of trucks, never had to torch anything. 4 bolts on the shrould, 4 on the holders, and 2 on the clamps. The only pain is getting TO the bolts. I'm a little guy so I can climb around the truck, but big guys will find it a pain. Little hint, don't pull the bottom two bolts for the heat shroud, you can use it as a bit of a holder so the muffler won't fall out. You will have to lift it out the top however. Took me 10 to put it back on, but about 20 to pull it off by myself. Take the top exhaust pipe off first of course, and get the gaskets (or just one as one poster said) before you need them.
I'm 6' and 185lbs so I'm fairly skinny.. shouldn't be an issue :) Who did you finally end up getting the proper gasket(s) from? (not sure who "Erik" is..)

I received my new muffler today :naner: Can't wait to paint it with the high temp barbecue paint, and get it installed :)

WYomer

So why not just go with a 4" muffler and rain cap? Summitracing has some decent ones in the $100-200 range. I was just looking since I want to quiet mine up while adding adding some more power. I'm partially deaf and dont wan to make it 100%.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks