• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 part out value

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you ask?

Do you have buyers for every single component?

clydizzel

Well im considering buying a couple that may or may not run to have spare parts for myself but want to part one out to pay for the ones i would keep for myself. So i dont have aby buyers line up but i would reckon the rockwells and transfer case and tranny would move quick maybe. If anyone here parts out trucks just wondering what i can plballpark expect to get

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked through the parts for sale section of the classifieds?

clydizzel

I have looked in the classifieds but not every part is listed. Thats why I am asking to see if anyone else does it on a regular basis to give me some sort of average.

dawico

I think the problem is time. The parts aren't going to move fast, if ever. Most of the major parts seem readily available.

It is worth it to have a spare truck though.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess that if you added up the retail price of every single part, you'd be into 5 figures. The problem is, you can't sell all the parts anytime soon.You also have to figure in the labor for disassembly. It's a lot of hard work.

Personally, I'd never give over scrap price for a parts truck.

74M35A2

I don't think you will find anybody to supply you that answer. A lot of people buy trucks and then part them out for profit, even running vehicles. I don't think they are going to just hand over their profit margin figures in doing so. Also, it is different each time for them. People don't even really talk about the buy/sell price of their vehicles on here. Take a single part for example, I have seen Cummins 8.3 engines listed anywhere in the range of $500-$3000 (don't ask me where I have seen them for $500, they are not listed anymore and I don't think the seller wants to deal with 100 inquiries of such if it is not listed, I won't answer). Spread that range across each part, and it becomes a wide range. Too wide to answer. In the end, it will sell for what people will pay for it. Market sets the price, as in anything else.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And you have to consider where to store the parts. Do you take them off the truck in advance? Or when someone wants it? Then you have to have a place to store the truck. Some areas don't allow storage of parts vehicles.

By the time you consider purchase price, time to find a buyer, labor to remove the part, time to pack the part, time to have the part shipped and the collection of funds, you are not making much money.

Now if you have a large scale operation then it is a viable operation.

93W351 works at a scrap yard. Their main objective is to scrap the vehicle. He talked the owners into pulling some parts. He can tell you how labor intensive it is to pull and sell parts.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess that if you added up the retail price of every single part, you'd be into 5 figures. The problem is, you can't sell all the parts anytime soon.You also have to figure in the labor for disassembly. It's a lot of hard work.

Personally, I'd never give over scrap price for a parts truck.
Exactly as m16ty said. Also consider how the disassembly goes considering the weight of some of the parts (bed for example), having lots of loose parts and a partially torn down vehicle sitting around, space the parts take if you disassemble it all at once (can you store a torn down 5 ton where things won't simply start deteriorating?). Buy it cheap enough to take what you want and then sell the whole remaining truck to someone else that might want what you didn't take or (sadly) simply scrap the rest. You're never going to sell every single piece, one at a time, no matter how long you keep it without either bunching stuff together or scrapping it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I recently parted out a M927A1 with the 250 Cummins. I knew in advance that it was a Marine Corp truck with Detroit Lockers and the 20 foot ISO bed (which I wanted badly). All that I have left now is the parts for installing a winch. I sold the lockers, scrapped most of the cab, frame and the engine (locked up).
This is not the first truck I ever parted out but may be the last. I made some bucks and I still have the ISO bed but as stated above it might take a while to break even or make a profit.
If the truck has good super single tires that counts for something to have a complete set of spares.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think with the recent truck prices that if a truck can be sold as a running truck you are better off doing it that way. If you can get parts trucks at or around scrap price then you can make a few bucks reselling parts off it. The parts are all heavy and it's time consuming to take it apart. Also on a truck that you can't run and drive, how do you know the main high value components are still serviceable?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I hate about parting out trucks is the shipping issues. Most everything has to go motor freight. This requires careful palletization or crating to prevent the carrier from destroying the item. This is costly and time consuming. Lots of buyers get cold feet when the shipping quote of $200-300 comes in. Of course you need a forklift to load the carrier, or you have to bring the stuff to the terminal, again a lot of time.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I just parted 1 out with a bad engine.I got about $5k so far.Still have the trans,transfer case,rear rears,cab left.And some other small parts.The big parts are harder to get rid of compared to the smaller ones.The you get some dumb a$$ that wants a price on shipping the largest part you have shipped across the country..plus about $200 in scrap for the frame.If its a hardtop add another $1000.Its a lot of hard work.Luckily I have heavy equipment to handle the heavy parts.I can have one completely apart and cleaned up in about 12 hours.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks