• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 parts question

Krink545

I just bought a A2 out of Ft Worth. My question is about parts availability for the A2 axles. On both of my previous trucks(A0 & A1) I've had to replace front and rear axle seals and pinion seals. Reading some posts it appears that the seals in a A2 are different and hard to locate. Is this true or are replacement parts becoming more available? Thanks

Krink545

Ok, made it home with the new A2 last night. Pick up from Fort Worth was pain less. Checked and topped off all fluids, I could tell it had some pinion seal issues already. Also the drain from the turbo is leaking. Mileage sucked only 5.8 towing my Dodge behind it. Hope that gets better.
So Im looking for some pinion seals. Are those seals the same as a A or A1?
Here's a few pics.
20130530_120306[1].jpg20130530_120315[1].jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the search word "motherload" in the 5 ton forum to get links to the latest tm's issued in 9/2012 that are A2 friendly that are not posted here. I don't remember a different part number for the pinion seals for the A2 when I researched them for my A0 replacement a month ago. I believe the pumpkins and parts are the same. The only difference is the axle tubes and hubs if I remember correctly.

FP1201

In the first few pages of the Parts manual you'll find something called "Use On Code" (UOC) that typically will be three letters that correspond to YOUR MODLE truck, lots of parts are generic to the vehicle, but in the case of changes, it's best to READ the line that has use on codes. Your code is: ZAA M923A2 WO/W Don't confuse the UOC with the EIC code in the front of the book. This is the parts book you want: TM9-2320-272-24P-1

YOUNG GUN

Has anyone had luck finding the inner and outer hub seals for the M923A2? I was able to source the outer hub seal PN# A-1205-D-2162 for about $25.00/ea, but I have not had luck finding the inner hub seal PN# A-1205-Z-2132. I know Erik's is supposed to have both in stock here in a couple weeks or so, but I'd like to get them sooner if possible. Any help is appreciated.

FP1201

Has anyone had luck finding the inner and outer hub seals for the M923A2? I was able to source the outer hub seal PN# A-1205-D-2162 for about $25.00/ea, but I have not had luck finding the inner hub seal PN# A-1205-Z-2132. I know Erik's is supposed to have both in stock here in a couple weeks or so, but I'd like to get them sooner if possible. Any help is appreciated.
FWIW: That number is an Arvin-Meritor (formerly Rockwell/Timken-Detroit-Axle) You are referring to the CTIS seals and not the Hub Oil seal?

YOUNG GUN

FWIW: That number is an Arvin-Meritor (formerly Rockwell/Timken-Detroit-Axle) You are referring to the CTIS seals and not the Hub Oil seal?
Are you saying the only need for these seals are for the CTIS?
If so, what seal does the M923A2 use for the hub seal?
i understand its different than A0 & A1

FP1201

Are you saying the only need for these seals are for the CTIS?
If so, what seal does the M923A2 use for the hub seal?
i understand its different than A0 & A1
Unless I'm confusing the M923A2 hub with that of a LMTV/MTV: I will look in the TM to see and post back.

YOUNG GUN

The inner and outer hub seals are correct, and the outer hub seal also acts as the air seal for the ctis; there's basically 2 of the outer hub seals facing each other on opposite sides of the air port; the outer seal is held in by a large snap ring. Just as a side note, the inner bearing is packed with grease and the outer bearing appears to be lubricated by the differential oil. It's definitely worth checking all of your bearing pre-loads, as both of the rear hubs I've done that were leaking were loose; I was able to turn the pre-load nut in approximately 2 full turns by hand (amazing the bearings weren't damaged) I'm sure this is also why it was leaking.

bogshotrods

Thanks for t elink, but I'm having a hard time navigating thru the manuals, shows page 0481 in the table of contents for "front hub removal' but when I insert page 0481 and click enter it comes up as a shifter page. How do ya get to the right page using the table of contents page number , it's kinda confusing for this 'ol Army Grunt

ejpolson

Nice to hear about your "new" truck from May of last year. I picked up mine in Sparta WI this month (January) and drove it home to Portland OR (a little over 1900 miles) and got about 6.8 MPG towing nothing. Drove through a blizzard climbing into a pass where semi's where slipping and sliding, and it drove through it like there was nothing there. I'll probably try towing something soon to see hoe it handles, but so far, no problems at all.

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
can anyone tell me where I can find a Hard copy of a service or repair manual for a 1990 M923A2? I have a brand new Tm for it but it does not list part numbers or repair info. I.E changing your tranny fluid it says get it to the shop for the mechanics to look at it that dose not help me. I have looked through the whole book a few times before anybody says look at the Tm. Thanks allot

74M35A2

2 of the 6 pinion seals on my M925A2 were leaking at a very good rate, leaving puddles type leaking. I checked the spring loaded vents, and they were OK. I cleaned and reused them anyway, leak persisted. I then removed the spring loaded pop vents, and replaced them with plastic tubing routed up high. Ding-ding, all pinion seals leaks immediately stopped.

Now maybe this is just masking weak pinion seals, but nonetheless I now don't have to change them in the near future. It bought me a lot of time as far as I'm concerned. Just an option for you to try. It was quick, easy, and effective.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks