• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Power Steering Reservoir Leak

Vette427

I have a leaking power steering reservoir. As best as I can tell, the wingnut on top of the reservoir has been tightened enough to distort the cover and the rubber seal around the dipstick/plug is shot. I can tighten the screw on top of the plug so that it holds firm, but I would still like to replace the cover and the dipstick/plug. Any leads on where to find a replacement dipstick/plug and new cover?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the parts are listed in the TM(TM 9-2320-272-24P-1), figure 312.

Part numbers are listed as well. With some google searching, you may find what you need.

Vette427

I was able to track down the filler cap/dipstick (P/N 2510093-23Z) but am still searching for the service kit which includes the gasket/lid (20511322Z). I have a Dana/Eaton number (ERS-28706) that NAPA may be able to x-ref. Thanks again for the help.[thumbzup]

Vette427

Update: I was able to order a NOS dipstick/plug and rebuild kit. The old dipstick plug was completely worn out to the point of having no adjustment left. I also replaced the filter and lid gaskets (one for the lid, one for the stud thumb screw) while I was at it.

Also, in order to change the filter, the stud must be unscrewed and removed. This eliminates interference from the fuel pump.

After a test drive, I didn't observe any more leaks. The moral of the story, don't automatically assume a line or pump with a preliminary power steering leak.

Vette427

The parts were purchased from Equipment Parts Sales in PA or www.shop.equipmentpartssalespa.com. They also have a nice eBay store where I initially purchased the dipstick/plug. I contacted them directly about the filter kit. They were very prompt with replies and speedy with shipping. They have a lot of items that aren't listed on Ebay or on the website and they encourage you to submit part numbers for quote which is what I did for the rebuild kit. All the parts that I received were NOS and brand-new condition.
[h=2][/h]

MtnSnow

Nick,

I would suggest that you download the TM's and study them (my best impression of Doghead) and to specifically address your question the TM you want is the Lubrication Order

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What type of oil goes in the power steering reservoir and does it lubricate the air compressor as well?
the tm calls for plain 10w motor oil.

I personally recommend plain ole power steering fluid you can find anywhere. It is either 10w or very close to it but it has anti foam and anti wear additives specifically for power steering.

Mine had dexron atf which is fine to mix with power stg fluid.

I am not versed on the a2 but my thought is no on the air comp lube.

Nick2015

Ok thanks for the help and replies! No to sound inexperienced, by what's he "TM"? Assuming "the manual"?

Also, I was just told by a guy at Easternsurplus.com that the transmission takes regular motor oil as well? I already put 3 gallons of transmission fluid inside the transmission so I would like to know if in fact the tranny takes regular motor oil?

thanks for your help!

MtnSnow

Nick,

Yes the TM's stand for Technical Manual

The Military tries to standarize on as few different fluids as possible for logistic reasons...... Yes the Military used EO (Engine Oil) standard in the Allison transmission. Allison themselves recommend the use of transmission fluid and even more specifically their own TranSynd fluid. (actually made by Castol)