• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Recovery 2000 miles

Polymerc

So I got one of the M923A2's in Sparta, granted as you can tell I am currently stationed in Hawaii. So I will be flying to LaCrosse, to meet some friends to take me to my new toy.

The idea was to pick up some of my parents stuff in their old house then bring it to Snohomish, WA. Should be an awesome trip, but I have to get all the prep done, like registration and insurance. Should be fun trying to get that done for Washington, from Hawaii. But either way I need to work it out with GL to pick it up on the 26th, since they don't like to be open on Fridays. My brother will also be flying down, so we can go over the entire truck at a friends house, check the air lines, the fluid levels, etc.

Hopefully I don't end up on the side of the road somewhere trying to get home, but if anyone needs anything moved along the I-90 route, let me know and I will see if I can get out there to move it for you.

Whelp, if all goes well will have my first M923A2 in Washington, were I will be getting rid of rust and the like, and hopefully transfering in the next year or so too.

oh and the obligatory Picture so you all will stay amusedm923A2.jpg Will update as I get out there, hopefully I can gopro most of the trip. :mrgreen:

Vociferous

Ditto on JBL. His name is Sgt Jeff Laumer and he is always looking to help SS members. PM either him or me to get his number.
Also, even after you check everything, make sure to take thermo readings after about 20-30 miles on hubs, brakes, pumpkins and etc. Just recovered mine last weekend and found out I had a brake dragging and shot the temp to 299 degrees on the drum. I was glad I had a temp gun on me! Take one, it's worth the cost.
Good luck.

Polymerc

I actually have alot of that stuff already at work that I can "borrow" for a bit. I work mostly with Electronics and Micro Miniture stuff. I used to work on Nato SeaSparrow launchers in the navy, which has alot of hydraulics, pressured air waveguides, electronics, and plumbing (believe it or not). So I would like to think reading some army TM's should be one of the more simple things to do.

Polymerc

thanks, I got Jeff looking at the truck tomorrow when I go pick it up. Thanks alot guys. If there is anything people need moved from Wisconsin to Washington state or anywhere in between let me know.

Polymerc

thanks, I got Jeff looking at the truck tomorrow when I go pick it up. Thanks alot guys. If there is anything people need moved from Wisconsin to Washington state or anywhere in between let me know.
Picked up the truck and it had a bad fuel solenoid; which jeff happened to have on hand. He is definately a great resource. I drove to ripon to gett my bro for the trip resting for the night then next day alot of driving followed by alot of driving.

armybrattony

awesome. happy travels....

drive safe, that is alot of miles to hike for a brand new truck. im sure you will love it! once in a life time thing right there. take some pictures for us!

Polymerc

Alright made it to Washington state with only 1 problem. But will start a repair thread in the 5 ton section. But once I get to a computer I will upload some movies and pictures along the way with the story.

Took 3 days total.
Alright tons of threads on the problem. Basically I was driving in the mountains and I smelled burning coming from the truck. I didnt see smoke or any other problems and the smell went away. So I drove on; I later noticed the voltage gauge right on the line of overchargeing and normal and got worried but everything was still working and there was no other indications than the "on the line" charge so I stopped the truck amd opened the hood; nothing wrong. I went to start it and nothing happened. Did it three more times before I was going to check more things out and it started.

no other problem so I parked it a hotel and slept. Next day started up no problem and started to drive. This time the gauge read just under green . Which is odd but alright; but after that the batteries appeared to be draining. A bit later the smell was back and I pulled over and did some voltage checks which didnt get voltage from the batteries or the alternatoe. Also a voltage regulator seems to have blown up. Which might be a great thing since it probably saved alot of the electronics. But all it looks like I need is a new alternator and regulator; also going to get the batteries checked since they were 09s.

pictures will be coming up when I get to the computer. Other than that the truck ran great and generated alot of strange looks and conversations. Any parts stores have the regulators and alternators?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks