• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Recovery from Barstow 485 Miles to home

JamesH

So after two months of research and watching auctions I finally started bidding on trucks that I thought I might be able to buy in my budget. The truck I won was actually the 3rd truck that I bid on and I have no idea why I got the deal I did. The only issues the truck had listed was inoperable Warning lights and a missing headlight. Turned out the only inoperable Warning light was for the parking brake....the bulb is missing :)

My wife was not nearly as excited about my good deal as I was :) It took a little convincing to get her to make the 7 hour drive to Barstow from Reno but luckily once we got on the road she got into the adventure of the trip and actually got some cool pictures along the way which I will have to add as soon as I can download them from her camera, the ones below are from my phone. We hit snow on the way down but avoided it on the way home.

We drove down Sunday, stayed the night and got to the base at about 8am Monday morning. After background checks and paperwork we got our passes and headed in to the Iron Planet office. Everyone with Iron Planet were really nice and once we got out in the yard, the vehicle handler was great! Gave us as much time as we wanted to check the fluids, put the new headlight in etc and then gave us a jump start with the HUMMV he was driving around. They hadn't told him about the trailer that we were picking up so he had to get his forklift and go find the trailer. I think we got off the base about 10:30.
We made it about a 1/2 mile down the road and steam started to fill the cab and antifreeze starting running down the firewall to the floorboard.....bad heater core. So I pulled off the side of the road and saw that it was pretty easy to bypass the heater core so that's what I did. Of the course the batteries hadn't charged enough to start the truck so I had to break out the 2 new 12v batteries and jumper cables. Peace of cake, except the truck wouldn't fire....turned over great but wouldn't start. So I broke out the laptop and opened the TM's that I had downloaded from this great website and after 30 minutes found the troubleshooting section I was looking for. !st thing on the list, "be sure emergency stop switch is pushed all the way in". Well it was in the proper position but I remember seeing a loose looking cable in the engine bay so I check the engine bay and found that the plunger on the emergency stop system was sticking out like it had been tripped. I manually reset it and like magic, the truck fired right up!

We drove the rest of the way into town, stopped in a big parking lot and decided to check the transfer case oil after the IP vehicle handler told me about a guy who had just burned one up driving it home to LA. It was low so my wife headed to the auto parts store for gear oil and trans oil. Once we got all that done and grabbed a burger, it was almost 12:00.

We finally got on the highway and cruising out of town about a 1/2 hour when I noticed all the lights were flashing on the CTIS panel. I pulled over and checked everything out but couldn't find an obvious problem. I dug through the TM's but couldn't seem to find the right section so I decided to disconnect the panel and see if it would reset. That did the trick and it never gave me another problem....still not sure why it was flashing.

The next thing I noticed was the **** accelerator pedal was so **** stiff that I was steering with my left hand and pushing down on my knee with my right hand to keep the truck at 55mph. I pulled over 3 separate times to get the feeling back in my toes before deciding to disconnect the secondary return spring on the throttle linkage! Wow, what a world of difference...and I actually was able to get WOT, which I realized that I had not been getting.
We finished up our first day of driving in Bishop about 5pm that evening, got a room and crashed feeling pretty good about how things were going.
Tuesday morning we found out the batteries had not held their charge so had to jump start her again. Got on the road about 8am and decided to take the longer route up Hwy 6 to Hwy 95 through Hawthorne to avoid the big grades on 395 over the Easter Sierras. The trip from Bishop to Reno was pretty uneventful and found the sweet spot was around 60 to 62mph.

As we rolled into Reno, there was a sign about a wreck ahead to expect delays, I decided to exit and take the business loop but so had everyone else so we ended up in stop and go traffic, just to get off the freeway. It was then that the air brakes quit releasing....had to power through and they would release only to stick again every time I had to stop. The engine temp started to climb, as did the trans temp. By the time I got off the freeway the engine was at 220 and the trans at 200. I pulled into a parking lot to let it cool down but found that the clutch fan was not turning on. I let it idle about 15 minutes and felt all the drums in the rear. One was cool, one was warm, one was hot and one was too hot to hold my hand on. After 15 minutes the engine temp had barely come down but the brakes were free so I decided to get back on the highway, which had cleared up. We made it the last 15 miles to home without further incident and the temps dropped back to normal with some air running through the radiator.

All told, the trip ended up being 485 miles. I checked fuel mileage from Bishop to Fallon and used about 33 gallons over 200 miles....so 6.06 mpg.

Today I checked all the fluids again and realized that I had over filled the engine by probably a gallon....I guess it takes a really long time to show on the dipstick after you dump it in the the top of the engine....It originally wasn't registering on the dipstick so I added about 2 qts, waited a few minutes. Still not registering so I added 2 more, waited a few minutes and it was barely registering so I added 2 more. After a couple minutes it was registering between the add and full mark so I added 1 more quart for a total of 7 quarts. Well today it is reading about 4" above the full mark and oil splashes out of the dipstick tube with the engine running.....oops.

All in all it was a great adventure that turned out well thanks in no small part to the contributors of this great website. Thank you.

JamesIMG_2548.jpgIMG_2550.jpgIMG_2551.jpgIMG_2552.jpgIMG_2554.jpgIMG_2556.jpg

Attachments

FloridaAKM

Very good write up & pictures, glad you were able to overcome all the junk that Murphy threw @ you. You must have spent some quality time with the TM's to be able to get all the gremlins thrown out the window & left on the road.

Welcome aboard & you have passed your indoctrination test.

wsucougarx

Great looking truck. Thanks for sharing your story. Glad everything worked out. On a side note, looks like some installed your cargo cover inside out.

Andrmorr

looks like some installed your cargo cover inside out.
I noticed that too...I've seen that done right before a convoy as a joke on a certain driver that he can't do anything about until the end of the trip...I'm sure a couple people got a chuckle as you rolled by and reminded them of the Ol Days!

Congrats on the successful trip... Kudos for both asking the wife, and getting the wife to go with you! The best way to get her on your side is to involve her...

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your new truck and successful recovery. Plus, you got a tan truck w/ green doors, you'll never have a problem spotting it in the Walmart parking lot...

dirtdobber

Great write up and pictures. I think panic would have set in with me after the first event. You sound so matter of fact and not worried. My road trips have been not as pleasant.

JamesH

Great write up and pictures. I think panic would have set in with me after the first event. You sound so matter of fact and not worried. My road trips have been not as pleasant.
Well I have to admit that when the truck wouldn't start after bypassing the heater core I was getting a lot worried....Finding the solution in the TM's gave me the confidence that everything was going to work out just fine!

James

PS.... Thanks guys, now I have to head out and look at my canvas! Never paid much attention....not that I would have known the difference :)

FloridaAKM

Yep, your canvas is installed inside out on the truck. The vents are reversed & the tie downs on on the wrong side. @ least the wind didn't get behind the front folds & rip the top into pieces or completely off. You still did very well on the purchase & recovery of the truck & trailer combo. Keep up the good work & the pictures of your progress.

Andrmorr

PS.... Thanks guys, now I have to head out and look at my canvas! Never paid much attention....not that I would have known the difference :)
I bet you're shocked at how heavy that canvas is...it's gonna be like wrestling with a big wet noodle! Roll one side to the middle longways, then roll the other side to the middle longways, flip the whole roll over then unroll both sides...that will keep it aligned front to back and can be done by one person...take this opportunity to check all your ribs and corners for loose bolt, cracks, breaks etc so they don't tear your canvas...

JamesH

I bet you're shocked at how heavy that canvas is...it's gonna be like wrestling with a big wet noodle! Roll one side to the middle longways, then roll the other side to the middle longways, flip the whole roll over then unroll both sides...that will keep it aligned front to back and can be done by one person...take this opportunity to check all your ribs and corners for loose bolt, cracks, breaks etc so they don't tear your canvas...
Thank you, I will do just that!

datadawg

Thanks for the story. I would have crapped my pants at first sign of trouble! Your mechanical skills are commendable. Congrats on your purchase(s) and how does the trailer tow with the truck? Do you even feel it back there? Just wondering what capability the trailer adds, since the truck has so much room for cargo.

reset2

Congrats on the semi worry free trip. 500 miles is a long recovery.
When my two sons and I bought ours from New Castle last year i was lucky enough to notice a local trucking firm hauling military stuff. Talked to the owner and worked a deal for him to haul ours back when he was dead heading back. About the time we were buying the trucks the Delaware cops (hear say) were stopping and busting drivers leaving the truck center. Don't know for sure but didn't want to take a chance. Also your wife is a great picture taker. The route you took looks very scenic. Living in Maryland we only have old mountains that are dull but those CA mountains are sharp and new.

0129141638.jpg

JamesH

Thanks for the story. I would have crapped my pants at first sign of trouble! Your mechanical skills are commendable. Congrats on your purchase(s) and how does the trailer tow with the truck? Do you even feel it back there? Just wondering what capability the trailer adds, since the truck has so much room for cargo.
You can't even tell that the trailer is behind the truck and you can only see it in the mirrors when making a turn. As for the why, I plan on making a water wagon out of it. 300 gallons of water with a solar electric pump system.

JamesH

Congrats on the semi worry free trip. 500 miles is a long recovery.
When my two sons and I bought ours from New Castle last year i was lucky enough to notice a local trucking firm hauling military stuff. Talked to the owner and worked a deal for him to haul ours back when he was dead heading back. About the time we were buying the trucks the Delaware cops (hear say) were stopping and busting drivers leaving the truck center. Don't know for sure but didn't want to take a chance. Also your wife is a great picture taker. The route you took looks very scenic. Living in Maryland we only have old mountains that are dull but those CA mountains are sharp and new.

View attachment 544804
The quotes I got for a haul to Reno were in the $2,400 range so I decided that the risk was worth the reward. The truck had a full tank of fuel when I picked it up...major bonus! I ended up spending about $350 on fuel for both vehicles, $125 on motel rooms. Everything else I spent on oil, belts, filters, tools etc was money I was going to spend regardless. Moving permits are only $10/Day. So it basically cost me $500 to drive it home VS $2,400 to have it transported. I only bid on trucks that were reported as mechanically sound. Although the heater was reported to be OPERABLE....There was always the risk of breaking down and having to have it hauled anyways but like I said....I just figured the risk was worth the reward and in the end I've got $1,900 in my pocket......The biggest bonus though....I got my wife on board with this adventure :) Now I just need to find that Field Kitchen :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks