• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2, serpentine belt problem.

noincision

I am stranded at my ranch near cedar Bayou, in Dayton texas. I am not in need of rescue as I am high and dry.

I have an M923a2 that was running until a weekago.

My ranch hands (not in communication) changed the serpentine belt. They bought a new belt, installed it and said it was good.

When I start it, it squeeles loudly and smokes bad.

It seems they got something wrong?!

The fan does not sping, but I do not leave it run more than 20 seconds opr so, so it does not get warm.

A diagram and or suggestions would be helpful.
I really need this truck. This flood is the reason I even have this truck! It gets started and driven a little everyday for 4 years, maintained, and repaired as needed to be ready for this moment!!!

Thanks,

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

Csm Davis

Peter take the belt off and try to spin all of the pulleys by hand, they should all turn but the crankshaft by hand. As soon as I can I will send pictures of the belt on my trucks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

162tcat

Fan belt driven but turned on as needed via the air system. It shouldn't spin unless it's needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

162tcat

floods

He said the fan isn't spinning. It won't until it's needed. Belt is always spinning but that's common sense. I suppose I can make a diagram or YouTube videos but if you have not owned a vehicle with an air system you may not know that the fan is turned on and off by air. The op may not be aware of that.

"The fan does not sping, but I do not leave it run more than 20 seconds opr so, so it does not get warm."

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Fan belt driven but turned on as needed via the air system. It shouldn't spin unless it's needed.

And for the record, mine always seems to stop turning when the truck is turned off. Is that normal?

Your first post is clear as mud and he isn't asking why his fan isn't turning. And yeah smartbut I think everyone knows they all stop when you tun them off.

noincision

Stock M939A2 belt arrangement.

I got side tracked yesterday. Rescued a bunch of dogs (8 in all). Then discovered my gasoline tank was full of water after I filled two vehicles... I will use the photos to check belt. When it runs, it looks like all the pulleys are spinning. Not to say easily, but yes, spinning. For it to smoke that bad, something is not right.

If the course is correct, then I will remove it and test all the pulleys.

Is there a standard tension? Usually the amount the belt moves under a prescribed tension?

It seems about right, but I do have a belt tension gauge.

I appreciate all the help. The water is low enough this morning that if I can get truck running I think I can drive across Cedar Bayou. That would be huge, for so many reasons!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Csm Davis

The tension is set by the spring loaded belt tensioner and all you need to remove the belt is a long pull handle or ratchet, place it in the square drive hole on the spring loaded belt tensioner that's in between the alternator and fan pulleys and pull it back to loosen the belt enough that you can slip it off with your other hand. If the other belt broke more than likely you have a bad stuck pulley and you need to check before you start it again by removing the belt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks