• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Shaking at 55-60

SLOREX

I know this an old thread but really helped me sort out my shaking death wobble at 60mph on my M923A2. By the time I had it smooth at 65mph + I used 3 extra lug nuts on one front wheel and 4 extra lug nuts on the other front wheel.

Thanks guys!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this an old thread but really helped me sort out my shaking death wobble at 60mph on my M923A2. By the time I had it smooth at 65mph + I used 3 extra lug nuts on one front wheel and 4 extra lug nuts on the other front wheel.
Thanks guys!
Welcome to Steel Soldiers

Remember, the tires are only rated to 55.
Yes, the insurance companies know this also.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had this problem with my 934. When I won this Truck, it had 5k miles on it. The tires looked like new. But because this Truck sat in one place for eight years, the radial tires developed flat spots. I tried to fix them with high and low tire pressures. No luck! I had to replace all ten tires. I was fortunate that the tire shop close to my house has a guy working there that spent some years in the Army motor pool. He replaced the tires and balanced the new ones. This tire shop does a lot of big equipment (agricultural and semis) so he has the tools and know how. The Truck now has no tire bounce. Now on to the suspension. I need to "soften" the ride. I'm converting it to a motor home and want comfort more than ten tons of load capacity!

therooster2001

Thanks guys!
Congrats. I have a shake at 28-30, then 45, and I think one more. Was the lug placement scientific how you did it, or just trial and error? Reading this thread, I'm more intrigued to fix it. Everyone said it was normal. Mine are goodyears and CTIS. Checking truck today but pretty sure the counterbalance is fine, be embarrassed if it was off a lug.

SLOREX

It was trial but I knew that I needed to start opposite the CTIS. My shake was bad at 60 so I started with four lug nuts per wheel, two on each side of the counter balance weight. From there it seemed like I went too far so i took off one lug nut at a time while I was on a longer drive on the highway. On the wheel with three lug nuts it made a difference which side of the counter balance it was on. I kept breaker bar and lug nuts in one of the boxes and played with it as I drove.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats. I have a shake at 28-30, then 45, and I think one more. Was the lug placement scientific how you did it, or just trial and error? Reading this thread, I'm more intrigued to fix it. Everyone said it was normal. Mine are goodyears and CTIS. Checking truck today but pretty sure the counterbalance is fine, be embarrassed if it was off a lug.
IMG_3940.jpg Just in case! This is where mine are, smooth at all speeds.

therooster2001

Well, the counterbalance was just fine. I am wondering if there are multiple versions of the counterbalance. I grabbed a couple in KS and will report back on those vs mine. I have that ultra cool scale from my AC recharge, so I will weigh and report back. After that it will be the lug nut trial...

therooster2001

I weighed up the components minus the short tube (I couldn't find my spare) and then the counterbalance and nut to see if it was off by stock. Anyone have a weight on the short tube with connector nut?

Edit: guess the short tube also has small bolts as well. Need that full weight to complete this math problem.

Here's the others weights:

5.09 for the counterbalance and the lug nut holding it.
IMG_2756.jpg

4.53 for the cover, 2 lugs, the spacer, washer and bolts, plus a hiding valve (first on scale below cover) and tube. Missing short black tube with the valve connector nut.
IMG_2755.jpg

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I weighed up the components minus the short tube (I couldn't find my spare) and then the counterbalance and nut to see if it was off by stock. Anyone have a weight on the short tube with connector nut?

Edit: guess the short tube also has small bolts as well. Need that full weight to complete this math problem...
I think I have a spare, I'll try to remember to get you a weight tomorrow night.
I don't think you want the small bolts in your equation, as they would be there regardless and already countered by the ones on the opposite side, correct?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks